Mega Man

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

^I finally replayed it today after getting into a Mega Man mood.

My opinion hasn't changed much, the game as a whole is pretty uninspired. The only exception is Nitro Man, his level and music are the best in the game by far and the boss fight is pretty cute. The rest of the bosses and stages are very boring (Strike Man gets called out for having a particularly awful stage, awful design, awful music, awful boss battle that's basically an Armored Armadillo rip-off, and a terribly uninspired weapon), the game is just a let down compared to 9.

Though the Wily Castles are actually really good, and the bosses within are fantastic, but the music pales to the Mega Man 9 music there, too. That said I think it's better than MM4, MM6, MM&B, and MM8, but it doesn't compare to 9 or the first 3 at all. It's a shame that this will probably be the last Mega Man game we get.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

So Spark, would you reccomend the first ZX game to anyone (iirc, you're not fond of ZX Advent at all)? I was thinking about picking it up sometime down the road, and since you're the Megaman expert around here, I thought I'd like to hear your input.

Spark Of Spirit

It's not bad. It's not as good as the Zero series, but it's a pretty solid game. The map is terrible, but everything else is pretty good.

Avoid the sequel.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Thanks. I'll definitely keep my eye out for them...which will be kind of hard since the DS Megaman games are rather hard to find in my neck of the woods. :sweat:

gunswordfist

I just beat Hornet Man. Once I figured out his...super obvious pattern, I used Splash Woman's gun to take out two bees...hornets at once and hit him as much as possible based on timing his damage/invincible animation. Since he was the fourth boss I beat, I got the...piece of scrap from him.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Why Mega Man 2 is one of the best games ever made.

I tend to agree. Mega Man 2 is pretty perfect as far as games go.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 19, 2012, 10:23:53 PM

Definitely. It's basically the Super Mario Bros. 3 of Mega Man. Easily my favorite in the series. :thumbup:

gunswordfist

About to start SFxMM

Spark Of Spirit

gunswordfist

....couldn't play it on this crappy PC. :sweat: :'(

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 19, 2012, 10:23:53 PM

Mega Man 3 is great too, but there's just something about Mega Man 2 that makes it feel so much more epic than the others. Probably the music.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Now that I've played about every platformer, here is my new series ranking:

Top Tier
Mega Man X
Mega Man 3 (NES)
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 2 (NES)
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man V
Mega Man X2
Mega Man Zero 2

Upper Tier
Mega Man IV
Mega Man 7 (SNES)
Mega Man (NES) / Powered Up (PSP)
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
Mega Man X3
Mega Man X4
Mega Man Zero

Mid Tier
Mega Man X8
Mega Man III
Mega Man Zero 4
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Mega Man 5 (NES)
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man X5
Mega Man Xtreme

Low Tier
Mega Man Battle Network Transmission
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man 8
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Mega Man 10
Mega Man 4 (NES)
Mega Man 6 (NES)

Bottom Tier
Mega Man II
Mega Man ZX Advent
Mega Man X6
Mega Man X7

I recommend playing everything not in the bottom tier. The bottom tier is fairly awful stuff and some of the worst games I've ever played. Everything else ranges from spotless to at least fun.

gunswordfist

Why so hard on Mega Man 4?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 29, 2014, 05:56:42 PM
Why so hard on Mega Man 4?
I think Mega Man III and IV (the Game Boy games) have far better level designs for the bosses, but the boring level design is just part of it.

The music is a letdown, there's nothing on the level of Elec Man, Wood Man, or Snake Man, and I think the Mega Buster isn't balanced well. Most enemies take too long to destroy without charging, and most enemies go down too fast when you use it. I think 5 got the Mega Buster better, but I also think Game Boy Mega Man IV makes it more satisfying (Mega Man also gets pushed back when firing it which is a cool little touch) and it also uses the weapons better than 4 does.

All in all, I like 4, but it just never rises above "okay" for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken, have you ever managed to beat X2 or X3?