Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Rest assured, my friend has already scolded me on not differentiating between the lesbian and bisexual distinction. I already know the difference, but I was just trying to make as humorously blunt a quick-reaction post as possible.

Avaitor

I figured. :P

I still haven't seen beyond Korra's pilot, but didn't both of them date the same person at one point or another? I find that pretty funny, actually.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Yes, the same boring, boring (with about two really awesome scenes imo) man.  ;D

I wonder if Mako would feel salty about that at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now that I've had a bit of time to reflect on my opinions about the franchise, here's how I'd rate each season, personally:

Book One: Water (7/10)- A decent start, but you could tell that they were really in their experimental stage at this point, and hence we had some rather awkward episodes in the mix. I do think that they got their act together by the final episodes of the season, but the lopsided quality of the beginning is what initially turned me away from this show before I gave it another chance.

Book Two: Earth (10/10)- A huge step-up from the first season, IMO. By this point they knew what they were doing, and really managed to make the narrative flow smoothly the entire way through.

Book Three: Fire (10/10)- It continues the momentum of the second season and also gives perfect closure to all of the major characters.

The Legend of Korra

Book One: Air (8/10)- Personally, I found this season to be really solid and entertaining, minus the ending which was far too convenient for the characters and undid any sense of struggle that Korra might have had to endure.

Book Two: Spirits (5/10)- Way too all-over-the place. The plot was a mess, the character development felt weak at best and completely forced at worst, and the only real saving grace here was the "Beginnings" two-parter, which was admittedly excellent.

Book Three: Change (8/10)- While I don't quite love it as much as others do, I found this to be another really solid and entertaining season. Zaheer was a good villain, and narrative went back to having a nice flow. It also helped that the characters stopped acting like idiots like in Book Two (minus Bolin, who always manages to suck, somehow).

Book Four: Balance (7/10)- A really strong start to the first half of the season, but the wrap-up did feel too rushed to me, personally, hence why I don't feel that certain characters, relationships, and plot points got quite as much time for development as they needed. Still, what we got was very entertaining, and mostly well-written.

Daikun

The Shadow Gentleman

I can only pray the contain the same level of stupid bullshit as the Avatar comics.

Which considering they're about Korra, is probably a given.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Kora as a series has a ton of problems, but even with its flaws I still think that it's an OK show for what it is.

The post-TV show Avatar comics, on the other hand, are some of the most laughably bad pieces of writing that I've seen from a comic book in recent years. They range anywhere from painfully predictable to ridiculously stupid, the latter of which at least makes them kind of entertaining to read through, though.

Daikun

The Korra comics are available for pre-order on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1506700152

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

I was concerned that the Korra/Asami relationship would feel forced and too on-the-nose. Many people I know who otherwise wouldn't care about Korra are showing interest in this comic solely because it's presenting an openly gay relationship in a kids comic, but I had a feeling it would just be very self-congratulatory about the fact and not actually be a believable, enjoyable romance. I liked their friendship in the show, but I never bought that Korra and Asami were actually in love from the final scene despite what Bryke claimed, and if they have to beat us over the head with the idea in the comic then it feels like they knew they didn't do enough in the series to establish it and had to double back to justify it.

Daikun

More gay and bi characters revealed.

Okay, they're going a bit overboard with this.

LumRanmaYasha

Two more characters turning out to be gay and bisexual doesn't seem particularly extreme to me. If anything, it would make sense if there were more. But I hope they introduce new characters who are LGBT from the beginning rather than continue to re-characterize preexisting ones.

Dr. Insomniac

Turf War Part 2 came out, and so little happens in this issue. Tokuga takes control of all the triads and kidnaps Asami, which should sound like it moves the plot forward, but it doesn't feel as suspenseful as it should be. Just same old, same old. I guess it's not as bad as some of the ATLA comics, but it was a bore. But on the other hand, it did give us this.