Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Far and away one of the most popular series with fans of animation in the past few years, it deserves it.

Anyone else looking forward to the spin-off?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Legend Of Korra>>>Sym-Bionic Titan
Korra will be one of 3 "sequels" I will be excited about more than anything else. The next Batman film and Mass Effect 3 are the other 2.

Anyway, I was thinking about the episode Southern Raiders this week. One of the great 3 episodes where my favorite character, Zuko, goes on an adventure with one of the original 3. Katara is my most hated character in the show. Her and Azula that is, due to both being too one dimensional, in my opinion. As I was saying, while thinking about Southern Raiders, I thought about how that was the only episode I can stand Katara. No nagging or bothering in this episode. Katara is quiet for most of the episode (YAY!) and well..cold heh heh Her being on a mission with someone she hates was interesting. I liked the scene where she uses blood bending for the final time. No other creative team would have done that. Everyone else would have had her whip it out in the final battle. Not only that but how she used it was kind of a disturbing sight. IIRK, we learn what happened to her mother some time after that. I forgot when so I will just mention it now. Definitely the darkest Avatar episode. Now here's the part that made this episode come back to me and have me see it in another light. When Katara confronts the man who killed her mother, she considers killing him. That's not the part that made me think about this episode again nor is when the guy said his mother should take his place and be killed instead of him. It was after Katara and Zuko left and Katara said she that she forgives Zuko for his past wrongdoings - but would never forgive the man who killed her mother. I know you are saying, "Of course she wouldn't" and I obviously think she shouldn't but to me it seems pretty shocking that a cartoon that's for all ages these days would have a character that wouldn't forgive another and still has a rotten opinion of them. Maybe I am looking into it to much or the fact that parents are so soft these days that they wouldn't even want kids to think that about a murderer but that stuck out to me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I just thought I'd say this right out.

Katara got way too overpowered too quick, and Sokka was way too underpowered for too long. It was kind of annoying considering how much better of a character Sokka is, but Katara was a Mary Sue most of the time who pretty much won all of her fights with relative ease.

But anyway, that was probably one of the more annoying aspects of the show for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Sokka had such a small part in that show compared to Katara. At least we got Boiling Rock which is so freaking good. I may have replayed those episodes more than any other.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Desensitized on July 02, 2011, 01:44:14 AM

Katara got way too overpowered too quick, and Sokka was way too underpowered for too long. It was kind of annoying considering how much better of a character Sokka is, but Katara was a Mary Sue most of the time who pretty much won all of her fights with relative ease.

But anyway, that was probably one of the more annoying aspects of the show for me.

I agree. Katara... hell, any female character in this show were always OP. It felt like if you were a woman in the world of Avatar, you're pretty much a force to be reckoned with, like Saxton Hale!

I do wish that Sokka got more focus as well. He was always my favorite character in the show since Book 1. Shame that in the final season, he got this awesome sword that he rarely used.

Also, since I mentioned Book 3, what was AR's general opinion of it? I personally thought that it was rushed and had some unneeded episodes. I didn't really care for the Beach, and I thought that the Bloodbending was pointless. If Bloodbending appears in Korra, I might take that back, but right now I don't.

Avaitor

Yeah, the women were overpowered in the show. It's still funny that they were, but they still didn't get represented at all in the action figures. One of the reasons the toyline bombed.

As for Book 3, weak start, but it picks up with "Day of Black Sun". The show was never very good in filler, and making the first half of the season feel so slow didn't help it out. I also didn't really like Zuko when he joined the Gaang, since he lost what little edge he had left, but that's another thing entirely.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Too much filler that really adds nothing is my biggest issue with Avatar as a whole. But these are my issues:

Sokka should have gotten his bad ass sword in the first or second season and trained with it a lot longer than when he got it. Toph should have actually lost at least once. Bloodbending went nowhere (would have been interesting against Azula, for instance). Zuko's betrayal at the end of season 2 still makes no sense, I'm sorry. Way too much of the first half of season 3 consists of filler. Not enough non-Bender focus, more Ty Lee Vs. Sokka, for instance, would have been sweet.

But it's still a great show, despite having its problems.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Desensitized on July 02, 2011, 09:44:21 PM
Zuko's betrayal at the end of season 2 still makes no sense, I'm sorry.
This. I still feel like that was a waste of character development, especially since his part of the first half of Book 3 went nowhere we haven't been to with him before.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on July 02, 2011, 09:47:05 PM
Zuko's betrayal at the end of season 2 still makes no sense, I'm sorry.
This. I still feel like that was a waste of character development, especially since his part of the first half of Book 3 went nowhere we haven't been to with him before.
It kind of killed one of the best episodes in the series with it, too. Zuko Alone. It's like that never happened here, because that episode pretty much sealed the deal with his character accepting what he is meant to do and the path he sets on for the rest of the season before it is pointlessly derailed for issues that he has already gotten over.

Then he putzes around for half of season 3 being OOC before getting back to the exact place we left him at when he finally joins the good guys.

I know you guys wanted us to rank Avatar higher, but we just couldn't. There's too many of these little annoyances to look past, but it is a great show where it counts.

Avaitor

Yeah, I was actually the one who vouched to rank it higher, which is probably surprising to some of you. I think after the list is done, I'll post a couple of facts from all the time we spent on it, and I'll get more into that.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Yeah, after I posted it.... I did  remember Season 3 sucking for the most part. I felt that probably played a factor into it's ranking. That and I wasn't a fan of Zuko turning evil again near the end of Book 2. I thought that came from nowhere and that he finally found peace within himself and was willing to fight for what he thought would be best for him, and not what others expect from him.

DLA.... WOW! I did not expect that from you. I thought you would have tried to put it lower.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daxdiv on July 02, 2011, 09:28:00 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on July 02, 2011, 01:44:14 AM

I agree. Katara... hell, any female character in this show were always OP. It felt like if you were a woman in the world of Avatar, you're pretty much a force to be reckoned with, like Saxton Hale!

I do wish that Sokka got more focus as well. He was always my favorite character in the show since Book 1. Shame that in the final season, he got this awesome sword that he rarely used.

Also, since I mentioned Book 3, what was AR's general opinion of it? I personally thought that it was rushed and had some unneeded episodes. I didn't really care for the Beach, and I thought that the Bloodbending was pointless. If Bloodbending appears in Korra, I might take that back, but right now I don't.
Book 3 hit the mark. The action was better. The comedy was better. The drama was better. The...erm romance was better. Uh it was good on a kids level or whatever. Anyway, I think the amount of fillers got way overexaggerated by fans in Book 3. Book 1 was almost nothing but filler. Seriously, it was mostly filler. Book 2 had that horrible slow down in Ba Sing Se. sp? Book 3 had like no more than 4 filler episodes at the start of the season and than we got tons of great episodes like Day Of The Black Sun, Boiling Rock, Southern Raiders and of course Sozin's Comet. My only complaints about the last season was too many characters from earlier seasons got little to no screen time and Toph got neglected. The only good female character in the show

gunswordfist

Too much filler that really adds nothing is my biggest issue with Avatar as a whole. But these are my issues:

Sokka should have gotten his bad ass sword in the first or second season and trained with it a lot longer than when he got it. Toph should have actually lost at least once. Bloodbending went nowhere (would have been interesting against Azula, for instance). Zuko's betrayal at the end of season 2 still makes no sense, I'm sorry. Way too much of the first half of season 3 consists of filler. Not enough non-Bender focus, more Ty Lee Vs. Sokka, for instance, would have been sweet.

Ty Lee fought Sokka. Using bloodbending more than twice would have been terrible. Both times it was used, it was well used. It would have made the Azula fight useless anyway. Katara would have won in a heartbeat and using it at the end would have shown that Katara still wouldn't have gotten over using a nasty move like that. More taking water out of the air would have been nice though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 02, 2011, 10:31:07 PM

Ty Lee fought Sokka. Using bloodbending more than twice would have been terrible. Both times it was used, it was well used. It would have made the Azula fight useless anyway. Katara would have won in a heartbeat and using it at the end would have shown that Katara still wouldn't have gotten over using a nasty move like that. More taking water out of the air would have been nice though.
I know Ty Lee fought Sokka, I was saying that we should have had more fights like that.

Also, the bloodbending was a cool idea that wasn't explored much at all. If it gets used in Korra more, I might retract that complaint, but as it is it was a dead end plot thread that really didn't do anything for anyone. It would have been nice for Katara to use it on Azula and stop before it was too late, both to scare the shit out of Azula (who needed it) and to make Katara actually seem like she has flaws and makes mistakes. Which she rarely ever did in the show. The Bloodbending being negated so fast is proof of that.

Rynnec

Glad to see I'm not the only one who found Katara annoying. Especially when no one would call her out on her self-righteous bitchy self in the later episodes. I don't mind the other females being overpowered, (except maybe Azula) because they were at least likable and flawed.

Zuko going back to the fire nation at the end of season 2 could have been good if he did it with the intent to turn against his father from the start, rather than go on about "regaining his honor" which had already been resolved.