Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 02, 2011, 10:47:17 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 02, 2011, 10:31:07 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on July 02, 2011, 09:44:21 PM
Too much filler that really adds nothing is my biggest issue with Avatar as a whole. But these are my issues:

Sokka should have gotten his bad ass sword in the first or second season and trained with it a lot longer than when he got it. Toph should have actually lost at least once. Bloodbending went nowhere (would have been interesting against Azula, for instance). Zuko's betrayal at the end of season 2 still makes no sense, I'm sorry. Way too much of the first half of season 3 consists of filler. Not enough non-Bender focus, more Ty Lee Vs. Sokka, for instance, would have been sweet.

But it's still a great show, despite having its problems.
Ty Lee fought Sokka. Using bloodbending more than twice would have been terrible. Both times it was used, it was well used. It would have made the Azula fight useless anyway. Katara would have won in a heartbeat and using it at the end would have shown that Katara still wouldn't have gotten over using a nasty move like that. More taking water out of the air would have been nice though.
I know Ty Lee fought Sokka, I was saying that we should have had more fights like that.

Also, the bloodbending was a cool idea that wasn't explored much at all. If it gets used in Korra more, I might retract that complaint, but as it is it was a dead end plot thread that really didn't do anything for anyone. It would have been nice for Katara to use it on Azula and stop before it was too late, both to scare the shit out of Azula (who needed it) and to make Katara actually seem like she has flaws and makes mistakes. Which she rarely ever did in the show. The Bloodbending being negated so fast is proof of that.
Bloodbending goes against what her dull character is about, so instead they tucked it away. Katara just couldn't do it again because it damn near traumatizes her. They didn't want to have her use it at the end and then throw in some cheap, quick excuse as to why she's suddenly okay with doing it without being devastated and her being rattled would have of course ruined the happy ending. It sucks and I also wanted to see more of it but that's how Katara operates.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on July 03, 2011, 01:53:30 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who found Katara annoying. Especially when no one would call her out on her self-righteous bitchy self in the later episodes. I don't mind the other females being overpowered, (except maybe Azula) because they were at least likable and flawed.

Zuko going back to the fire nation at the end of season 2 could have been good if he did it with the intent to turn against his father from the start, rather than go on about "regaining his honor" which had already been resolved.
Toph is the only female character I like in the show. It's sad that I only liked one because they did try to do the 'women can have power too' angle but you already mentioned how that fell flat on its face. I have faith in Korra being done right but any other female character, not so much. I'll wait and see though

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 03, 2011, 08:41:50 AM
Too much filler that really adds nothing is my biggest issue with Avatar as a whole. But these are my issues:

Sokka should have gotten his bad ass sword in the first or second season and trained with it a lot longer than when he got it. Toph should have actually lost at least once. Bloodbending went nowhere (would have been interesting against Azula, for instance). Zuko's betrayal at the end of season 2 still makes no sense, I'm sorry. Way too much of the first half of season 3 consists of filler. Not enough non-Bender focus, more Ty Lee Vs. Sokka, for instance, would have been sweet.

Ty Lee fought Sokka. Using bloodbending more than twice would have been terrible. Both times it was used, it was well used. It would have made the Azula fight useless anyway. Katara would have won in a heartbeat and using it at the end would have shown that Katara still wouldn't have gotten over using a nasty move like that. More taking water out of the air would have been nice though.
I know Ty Lee fought Sokka, I was saying that we should have had more fights like that.

Also, the bloodbending was a cool idea that wasn't explored much at all. If it gets used in Korra more, I might retract that complaint, but as it is it was a dead end plot thread that really didn't do anything for anyone. It would have been nice for Katara to use it on Azula and stop before it was too late, both to scare the shit out of Azula (who needed it) and to make Katara actually seem like she has flaws and makes mistakes. Which she rarely ever did in the show. The Bloodbending being negated so fast is proof of that.
Bloodbending goes against what her dull character is about, so instead they tucked it away. Katara just couldn't do it again because it damn near traumatizes her. They didn't want to have her use it at the end and then throw in some cheap, quick excuse as to why she's suddenly okay with doing it without being devastated and her being rattled would have of course ruined the happy ending. It sucks and I also wanted to see more of it but that's how Katara operates.
I agree 100%, but it would have been better if they didn't resolve that thread so fast, and instead make it linger on as a possibility down the road to where she almost succumbs to it, but instead rises above using it. It just seemed like such a waste to introduce and throw it away as quickly as they did, but early season 3 did a lot of that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 03, 2011, 04:15:16 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 03, 2011, 08:41:50 AM

I agree 100%, but it would have been better if they didn't resolve that thread so fast, and instead make it linger on as a possibility down the road to where she almost succumbs to it, but instead rises above using it. It just seemed like such a waste to introduce and throw it away as quickly as they did, but early season 3 did a lot of that.
Maybe, but that would have meant even more focus on Katara. Fuck that

gunswordfist

I watched Boiling Rock pt 1 and 2 yesterday on Nicktoons Network. I love these episodes even more now. Part 1 had so much good set up and of course part 2 had the pay off. I don't care for Sokka but if he had more episodes like this, I would be a fan.

Spark Of Spirit

Season 2 overall is the strongest, but if it wasn't for all the filler like most of the first half of the season, season 3 might be the best one. Season 1 is pretty good, but it doesn't quite have the same highs as the other seasons and some episodes are just boring.

I hope they manage to get the balance right with the new show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 22, 2011, 02:02:11 PM
Season 2 overall is the strongest, but if it wasn't for all the filler like most of the first half of the season, season 3 might be the best one. Season 1 is pretty good, but it doesn't quite have the same highs as the other seasons and some episodes are just boring.

I hope they manage to get the balance right with the new show.
Still think the amount of filler in Season 3 gets overexaggerated and all aspects of the previous seasons are overrated (except the animation and fighting, of course) but Season 3 does it just right.

Anyway, I just got done watching Siege Of The North. Just like I've always thought, it's much better than the extremely overrated Season 2 finale, which is the series weakest finale. Season 1 finale is great on all levels. That black snow scene gets me every time

Spark Of Spirit

The season 2 finale is overrated? I thought it sucked and was the single worst part of this whole show that wasn't pointless filler. As a result it derailed the show for half of season 3 where little to nothing that mattered occurred, and destroyed pretty much all character development of one of the show's most important characters.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 22, 2011, 06:21:14 PM
The season 2 finale is overrated? I thought it sucked and was the single worst part of this whole show that wasn't pointless filler. As a result it derailed the show for half of season 3 where little to nothing that mattered occurred, and destroyed pretty much all character development of one of the show's most important characters.
Teh fans love it though! But yeah, it lead to massive derailment. I personally thought Katara getting captured was much worse than what Zuko did. Sokka didn't get to go to battle with his Dad (What's this?! Katara is taking screentime away from Sokka again?!) and Aang skips out on mastering the Avatar State. All because Katara becomes the damsel in distress because she tried to stop an invasion with a canteen.

Daxdiv

Yep, people loved that ending, even though looking back the one part that still doesn't settle for me is Zuko betraying Iroh and everyone else for the family honor. I thought he was over that, unless it was a facade, which is still a bullshit excuse due to the information that the audience was given.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on July 22, 2011, 07:33:47 PM
Yep, people loved that ending, even though looking back the one part that still doesn't settle for me is Zuko betraying Iroh and everyone else for the family honor. I thought he was over that, unless it was a facade, which is still a bullshit excuse due to the information that the audience was given.
It wasn't bullshit, He did change. Once he joined the group mid-season 3 his character arc resumed where it was right before the betrayal making the entire ordeal pointless. Now ask yourselves this-

Zuko DOESN'T betray Iroh and helps Aang and they still lose. He finds the same conviction in himself but still gets crushed, leading him to question himself and his strength further. He's now a part of the group, but because of what he did is unable to fit in right with them.

Would that not have been a better character arc in season 3 than the one we got... which lead back to square one?

Avaitor

Looking at the character models for Korra remind me just how much I hate the designs of Avatar.

They look like fucking monkeys.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Trailer

It's looking pretty good, though I still wonder what the main plot is going to amount to being about beyond learning the Air element.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Desensitized on July 23, 2011, 09:28:33 PM
It's looking pretty good, though I still wonder what the main plot is going to amount to being about beyond learning the Air element.

I expect Nature vs Technology to be a plot point, for one. It seems to fit, maybe the Avatar status will be looked down upon due to the evolving culture and stuff, but still have it's fair share of followers and fans as shown at the end of the trailer. Still, I can't help but wonder how the Fire Nation has come along with a tyrant like Ozai and having a king like Zuko. I have to imagine that there were probably a fair share of FN people that were unhappy at Zuko being declared King of the Fire Nation.

Just a suggestion.

EDIT: Here's some information about Korra that was posted on toonzone

- New Trailer
- New Gaang: Two brothers, one firebender, one earthbender
- One of the brothers is named Mako, the firebender.
- Bolin is earthbending brother. Kind of like the original idea for Toph's character.
- Naga is the polar bear dog that Korra rides. She is her best friend!
- Pabu: red panda and a black-footed ferret. Bolin's buddy. A fire ferret!
- Flying bison and lemurs are back
- Aang and Katara have three kids
- Toph's daughter is the head of police in the city
- Metalbender cops. Toph traveled world to teach earthbenders how to bend metal.
- New group of anti-benders: the Chi-Blockers. Seems to be setting up conflict between benders and non-benders.
- Introducing the revolutionist characters called The Equalists.
- Two seasons of 12 eps each. That seems to be what they hinted at.

gunswordfist

Whoa, great info. I thought Korra was just going to travel with Tenzin. I didn't know Korra had two brothers and Aang had two kids besides Tenzin.

I thought the show was going to have a total of 12 episodes. Glad to see there will be 2 seasons. I hope they use that to their advantage. I hear they want absolutely no filler.