Compilation Albums (no, not that Wow shit)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 02, 2011, 09:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Anybody else buy these? I've got like a zillion of em lying around my house. They're a quick and dirty way to get the highlights most of the time and many are better than some artist's regular albums.

Spark Of Spirit

The Essential Series is my favorite. Two disc featuring (usually) pretty much everything you could ever want from the artist, plus some hidden gems.

Cheap Trick and Weird Al in particular have some great representation here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Essential... pisses me off somewhat because Columbia still hasn't done a "The Essential Mahavishnu Orchestra" yet.

Its about time really.

Angus

They're great if you don't have a majority of their albums already. Essential series seems good. I also enjoy the concert type albums and related videos.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Katie Holt

I have the Essential Bruce Springsteen.

Great compilation overall but leaves some songs out.
twitter.com/autistic_pidge

tweet me if you wish

now back after a long absence with a different display name. yeah

Avaitor

Looking at the Essential Iron Maiden listing, it doesn't look like too good of a compilation.

No Hallowed or Rime? Fail on instant. Even if it's just supposed to be a singles collection, the lack of "Infinite Dreams" and "Stranger in a Strange Land" in favor for "Heaven Can Wait" and "Paschendale" (which as much as I like is NOT a single) stings.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Some of the Essential series is chosen by the artist. I believe the Springsteen one was chosen by him, and even in the liner notes he says he was missing some great songs.

The Maiden one... Well, that just seems lame.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton