"Singin' in the Rain" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, July 02, 2011, 09:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

"What do they think I am? Dumb or something? Why, I make more money than - than - than Calvin Coolidge! Put together! "

Release Date: April 11, 1952
Studio: MGM
Director: Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly
Aspect Ratio: 1.37 : 1
Starring: Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds

Plot Summary:In 1927, Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont are a famous on-screen romantic pair. Lina, however, mistakes the on-screen romance for real love. Don has worked hard to get where he is today, with his former partner Cosmo. When Don and Lina's latest film is transformed into a musical, Don has the perfect voice for the songs. But Lina - well, even with the best efforts of a diction coach, they still decide to dub over her voice. Kathy Selden is brought in, an aspiring actress, and while she is working on the movie, Don falls in love with her. Will Kathy continue to "aspire", or will she get the break she deserves?

COMMENTS?

I'm not a musical guy at all, but this film is close to perfect in every regard. The cast is sensational. Kelly, Reynolds, and O'Connor are fantastic singers and dancers and pull off great performances on their own and together. Then there's Jean Hagen as Lina Lamont, who is hilarious. It's not a very glorious role, but she takes it on and chews scenery with her more versatile costars on her own.

The story is done without much cynicism and gleefully looks back on this era of Hollywood. It was made at a point where some of the crew behind it could remember when this era of film occurred, so there's effective nostalgia portrayed here.

Besides the classic song number of the same name, my favorite performance has to be Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh". Very clever and well-constructed. But every number is highly memorable, and there's plenty of great scenes without songs.

The whole thing is vintage Hollywood at its best. They really don't make 'em like this anymore, and they never will. If you haven't seen it yet, you owe it to yourself to.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

One of the best movies about making movies ever. I think only 8 1/2 outshines it.

Avaitor

That and Sunset Boulevard, but those are three very different films.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is yet another classic that I need to see eventually. I'm not a musical guy myself (I respect the genre and all, but most musicals kind of bore me, to be honest), but this film has always caught my interest, so I definitely want to check it out when I get a chance to.

Avaitor

Going to see this in theaters tonight, so I'm bumping this here. I guess nobody here went to see the Casabanca rerelease, so I doubt you'll go to see this either, but I'm stoked.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its not that I'm not interested, but things are pretty hectic for me this Summer, and I already spent money on 2 movies in 2 days, so I doubt I'll be going to another one anytime soon, except for maybe TDKR.

I'll definitely get around to this movie eventually, but it'll probably just be on DVD, to be honest.

Spark Of Spirit

I never get these rereleases. The one I actually got to see was BTTF and they screwed that up so bad we didn't even get to see it.

Digital-only blows.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Aww that's a shame. This was another great experience, and the movie is as hilarious as ever.

New blog!