The Powerpuff Girls

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

One of my personal favorite Cartoon Cartoons, The Powerpuff Girls was awesome. I have the complete series box set on DVD.

And I don't care what the haters say, I liked the movie. Now if only they would release the movie in widescreen here. Fucking fullscreen.  :whuh:

Avaitor

Oh hey, you made this just before I was going to. But yeah, PPG is one of my personal favorites, and holds up very well.

Anyway, I was planning on ranking my 10 favorite episodes from the series on this thread, and do it, I shall.

10- "Bubblevicious"/"The Bare Facts"

I couldn't take these two away, so I kept them together. I wrote about the second on another thread here, but if you haven't seen it in a while, check it out. Meanwhile, the first has GREAT character development for Bubbles, and takes the show to arguably its most extreme.

9- "Speed Demon"

This is a pretty dark episode, but not the darkest. I think it's an effective science fiction-influenced story of what could happen without the Girls, and shows just why Him is as hated as he is.

8- "Members Only"

If you don't count all the times I Am Weasel an Cow & Chicken met up, this might be the first crossover between CN shows. The Girls attempt to join the Association of World Super Men, featuring the Justice Friends and their chums, but fail due to being "little girls". Pretty good, but I mostly just love hearing Rob Paulson as Major Glory again.

7- "Super Zeroes"

Blossom as Wonder Woman, Bubbles as Hello Kitty, and Buttercup as Spawn. This is just how out there the show was, and the chemistry between the Girls together and by themselves is astounding.

6- "The Mane Event"

I appreciate how this ep attempts to break Blossom's character so she's more than just the self-righteous leader and flesh her character out a little. Granted, this isn't the first ep to do this, but I think messing with her hair was a believable twist and the way she saved the day in the end was a great character moment for her.

5- "Just Another Manic Mojo"

I think this episode was one of the first to really get into Mojo's character. We go through a day of the life of Mr. Jojo, right to a chance encounter with the Girls. Really funny stuff throughout, even if a lot of the humor is subdued.

4- "Him Diddle Riddle"

One of the last truly great episodes, this gives Him a chance to shine as he messes with the psyche of the Girls as they try to save the Professor. A bunch of good gags throughout, it works from start to finish.

3- "The Powerpuff Girls Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever"

Say it with me now: fly fly fly fly fly, pow, bye bye bye bye bye.

2- "Uh Oh Dynamo"

I think this is when the series really started to become something special. The first half of the episode had a sweet sidestory showing how much the Professor cares for his girls, while the second had an insane fight scene full of homages and creativity. The ending was also great, and brought us back to the center of the show.

1- "Meet the Beat Alls"

Does anything else need to be said? There are too many great references in here to call out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Just got done watching the end of Princess' first episode, starting with the part where she blows the girls out of the school, a few minutes ago, for the first time in probably over ten years. After that part, easily beat Buttercup and Bubbles. As a kid, the fight between Blossom and Princess made me think of Blossom as being the best fighter out of the group. Pretty bad ass fight.

Anyway, I've been thinking about how powerful the Powerpuff Girls and their villains are. The girls probably could beat Superman's ass and I was thinking about how Princess could easily mangle Iron Man.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Terry, I need you to go get the Powerpuff Girls. Superman has gone rogue again.

Spark Of Spirit

Can you even name any girl superheroes with their own individual identity?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2012, 10:04:25 PM
This should be a Batman Beyond one-off. It'd make for the best Terry McG comic I'd ever read.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2012, 10:12:37 PM
I can't even name that many good female cartoon characters.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on April 22, 2012, 10:14:04 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2012, 10:04:25 PM
This should be a Batman Beyond one-off. It'd make for the best Terry McG comic I'd ever read.
Hell, I'd read it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2012, 10:24:06 PM
THERE AREN'T ANY

Bad attemtp at a joke aside, this was a great show. Funny, full of action, and quite charming.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2012, 10:31:11 PM
THERE AREN'T ANY

New blog!

gunswordfist

Watching bits and pieces of the show here and there, I was thinking about how clever many of the plots were. Hell, did the show in its prime really have any duds?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 22, 2012, 10:33:14 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2012, 10:31:11 PM
THERE AREN'T ANY

Taken down a peg at my own poorly constructed game!

talonmalon333

I'm just popping in here to say one thing. I love how they gave this 1 episode character a much better theme song than the Powerpuff Girls themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY7g03ypxb4&feature=related

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been re-watching a lot of classic Cartoon Cartoons (remember whey they were called that?), mainly because during finals when I want to take a short break, the fact that most of these shows consist of 10-minute long episodes or less really makes them a perfect watch in-between study periods.

Lately I've been re-watching a lot of this show as well, and I have to say that in all honesty, I think that this show may have just aged the best out of all of the other CCs, Johnny Bravo included (even though that's still my favorite CC, admittedly due in part to nostalgia). The jokes are really witty, the characters are extremely entertaining (especially the villains), and the show has quite a bit of clever references and whatnot that totally flew over my head as a kid but are fun to notice when I re-watch them now.

As for the characters, the girls are pretty plain on their own but work great together as a group (I almost like to think as them as 3 parts of a single major character, since they are most fun when they are interacting with each other, which thankfully is most of the time), Professor Utonium is one of the more entertaining father-figure characters that I have seen in a comedic cartoon of this sort, and the rest of the regular characters of Townsville are amusing in their own rite. I also just came to realize that the narrator of the show is Tom Kenny. :D

Of course, the most memorable aspect of this show for me was always none other than Mojo-jojo. His over the top monologues still manage to force a chuckle out of me, and his overall absurdity leads to some of the best episodes in the entire series.

My only real gripe with this show is how it got pretty stale with the seasons that aired past the movie (the movie itself I actually like, though I believe I'm in the minority on that opinion). The episodes become much longer, either last for two segments per episode or even a full 30 minutes, and with the exception of a few episodes in the show, I always hated when the staff made the decision to do this. Like most CCs, PPG worked best as a series of shorts that were quick, fun, and never over-stayed their welcome. A lot of the longer episodes just end up feeling over-winded and drawn out to me, personally. Still, out of all of the CC's that I've been re-watching bits of over the past week, I've been seeming to have the most fun with this show in particular.