The Powerpuff Girls

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

So, I've watched three episodes today (even though "Man-Up" [Friday's episode] was already up on CN Video for the past couple of weeks, I thought I'd wait till the series' premiere to watch it).

Wow. They've really downplayed the narrator from the original series.

Buttercup comes off as mildly annoying. Her attempts at sounding "hip" almost turned me off from watching the full episodes. (BTW, does she sound like Peridot to anyone else?) Thankfully, I managed to sit through the whole thing and was entertained at what I saw.

I'll need more time to process my thoughts on this. I will say, though, that this is a pretty decent reboot. It might need some time to find its groove, but I like it so far.

EDIT: Oh, and the cell phones are a nice touch. Private landlines are obsolete, anyway.

LumRanmaYasha

I watched them. While not humorless, I feel it lacks the wit and charm that made the original as special as it was. I didn't laugh very much at any of the episodes I saw, but I enjoyed them enough that I wouldn't mind watching more every now and then.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It kind of has similar problems to the later seasons of PPG from back when it was originally on the air and Craig McCracken was no longer involved in the writing process, and in that regard also feels similar to the later seasons of Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo. That said, I wouldn't say that it felt quite as dull and devoid of energy as those seasons were, as something about these episodes did give me the feeling that the staff behind it were genuinely trying to make something good.

It's kind of a strange feeling, in that I honestly didn't enjoy these episodes, but at the same time they kind of compel me to give the show a chance to smooth things out over the course of the season. Whether it will pick up or not remains to be seen, but as it stands I'm currently in the "meh" boat.

Peanutbutter

I like it so far. Thought Buttercup was fun in both of the ones I saw. I think each of the new actresses have done a good job making them sound young while having distinct personalities. And I love how Princess was in the derby episode. No whininess from her that could be a bit much in the original, her personality in this has a slick, but still arrogant vibe that oozes confidence.

Speaking of derbys, the Derbytante girls were fun. The leader had a fun persona of her own, and the face turn they pulled felt natural. Solid character development in just eleven minutes there. I'm sure people are going to have some hangups while getting used to this, but so far I think this new series had a great start.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

QuoteOne character who didn't make the cut in the new "Powerpuff Girls" series? The mayor's red-headed assistant Ms. Bellum.

"We felt like Ms. Bellum wasn't quite indicative of the kind of messaging we wanted to be giving out at this time, so we sort of had her move on," Jennings explained. "And that was a good choice I think on our part."

The Ms. Sara Bellum character was the super-intelligent, capable and apparently beautiful woman (her face was never shown), who for some reason never rose above being the assistant to the generally clueless mayor of Townsville.

A bit of a shame since she was a good character, but I can understand why they'd think her relationship to the Mayor would be contradictory to what they want to present. Honestly, reading the rest of that made me feel better because the showrunners make it very clear they're going to focus hard on character development. Exactly the way it should be if they want this show to be a success.

Daxdiv

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 05, 2016, 11:20:14 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 05, 2016, 08:20:57 PM
So Miss Bellum's been cut out of the show because the showrunners didn't think she was indicative of their message.

Not wanting a character that is both smart and beautiful. What kind of message are you sending people?
Not to mention, she was likable. She was in that job because she wanted to be there to help the girls and the Mayor, it's not like she was some put upon character that was miserable all the time or resented them.

Not a fan of this. Don't care what the excuse is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I love how both Tumblr & 4chan come together and hate this show. I think I've had more entertainment reading through the PPG tag & reading /co/ threads than actually watching the show.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 05, 2016, 11:37:25 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on April 05, 2016, 11:20:14 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 05, 2016, 08:20:57 PM
So Miss Bellum's been cut out of the show because the showrunners didn't think she was indicative of their message.

Not wanting a character that is both smart and beautiful. What kind of message are you sending people?
Not to mention, she was likable. She was in that job because she wanted to be there to help the girls and the Mayor, it's not like she was some put upon character that was miserable all the time or resented them.

Not a fan of this. Don't care what the excuse is.

They actually had an episode that addressed this. Miss Bellum had a thousand days of vacation time stacked from decades of her working with the mayor so she went off to use them. She was onscreen and everything, and they didn't mishandle her characterization, so it went smoothly. Yeah, it still sucks the new team doesn't want to use her. I guess they think its not a good feminist message to have a woman assistant to a mayor with no upward mobility.

Other than that, I actually find the show has been pretty decent so far. The Man Boy episode in particular was good.

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Spark Of Spirit