The Powerpuff Girls

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Did my articles help your decision to rewarch some of PPG?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As great as your articles are, I kind of just sort of started re-watching random episodes on a whim. :>

Foggle

Courage has definitely aged the best for me. I haven't watched PPG in a long time, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, I re-watched that 10-year anniversary special. Its a bit too hyperactive for my liking, but if you can get past that its a really satisfactory tribute and send-off to the series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 13, 2012, 12:30:54 AM
Courage has definitely aged the best for me. I haven't watched PPG in a long time, though.

I'd say that Courage has aged just as well as PPG, but for a very different reason. Its an incredibly unique show in every regard, There's nothing like it on the planet; nothing even close. Its probably the most timeless Cartoon Cartoon in that regard, though that doesn't necessarily mean that its for everyone. Its just a show that mostly relies on visuals, really good animation (for those of you who actually like cartoons being cartoons), and a ton of atmosphere. It has a lot of gross-out moments as well, but it doesn't ever overdo them, or at least not for me. I'll also say that this series still has a TON of episodes that still GENUINELY creep me out. Even though a lot of the scares are played off for laughs, I have a feeling that the staff behind this show were intentionally trying to scare us, and I don't care how corny it might sound, but if that was there intention then it pretty much worked on me.

Courage isn't my favorite CC, but its definitely one of the most interesting and fun to re-watch. As for PPG, though, I like it a lot for its wittiness. Its very much a show where the animation takes a back-seat to the dialogue (though there are a good deal of episodes that play exception to that rule), but it has the most sharply written and hilarious dialogue out of any of the CCs, barring some of the best Johnny Bravo episodes, but on the whole I can admit that PPG is the better show.

I've seen people compare MLP to PPG since they are both suppose to be girls shows that have clever writing that makes them appeal to a much wider audience. I've tried MLP myself, and while I have nothing against it, I just can't get into it (and I have tried). As for PPG, I don't consider it a girl's show at all, from the get-go. Its just a show where the main characters are a trio of sisters with super-powers and the entertainment usually revolves around the absurdity of the situations that they encounter on a daily basis in Townsville (or occasionally the situations that other characters find themselves in when its an episodes no centered around the girls). Its not really a girl's show or a boy's show. Its just a show that's really fun to watch.

Foggle

Yeah, I definitely need to re-watch most of the Cartoon Cartoons. I never realized just how witty JB, EEnE, and Sheep were until I revisited some of my favorite episodes.

Daikun

Hey Ensatsu, since you rewatched the Cartoon Cartoons, did you also watch anything from the What-A-Cartoon Show?

That was where most of the CCs got their pilots. PPG got two on there, and Courage (since you brought that up in your most recent post) has a fascinating pilot that I think is actually better than most of the main show's episodes.

Avaitor

You all know that I think that EEnE has aged the best for me.

And honestly, I hated the 10th anniversary special. Wayyy too fast, and the Foster's style of flash did not work on the characters.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree that everything felt way too fast and hyper, which was honestly my main problem with the anniversary special. However the actual writing and jokes felt as witty as ever, IMO. I just felt that in trying to cram way too much into a single 30-minute time-slot, they ended up forcing themselves to speed through the material and it just ended up sounding really bizarre how fast everyone was talking and how quickly everything was moving a lot, which really hurt the enjoyment factor of the episode, but I was still able to look past that and enjoy it for what it was. Its just a fun tribute to the series.

As for What a Cartoon, I did go back and watch both of the original PPG pilots. Even those episodes have aged surprisingly well, albeit they lacked some of the things that became key elements to the show itself when it became a series. As for Courage, I did see the original pilot (back when it was just a one-off short, and before Courage got his own show), but honestly I haven't seen it since then so I don't remember it well enough to comment on it.

Avaitor

Courage was a weird case that its short even won an Oscar for Best Animated Short. I still think that it's more fun than the actual show, myself.

Also, I do believe that they actually sped up the anniversary special during its Cartoon Network broadcast, and is supposed to run a little slower and more natural in its original running time on the DVD. Whenever I get it, I'll give it another shot.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, either way, whether you like the special or not, it did bring us this awesome as fuck piece. You've at least got to give it that. :sly:

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on December 13, 2012, 12:38:03 PM
Courage was a weird case that its short even won an Oscar for Best Animated Short. I still think that it's more fun than the actual show, myself.
Are you guys talking about The Chicken From Outer Space? Maybe I'm just weird, but that's always been one of my least favorite Courage shorts.

Daikun

I guess we should talk about the reboot while we're at it.

Silverstar

^ I read about that; I assumed it was just an internet rumor.

But honestly? Feh. PPG was OK and all, but I really think CN should just let it rest. The post-movie episodes were abysmal and I really think the premise ran out of steam a while before it ended. I really don't see what else they can do with PPG without it becoming more stale and tired than it already became.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

I thought it was just another special.

Do we really need more PPG? Even accounting the fact that practically all long-cancelled shows which inexplicably return have their new runs end up paling under their original runs, it's not like the show ended on a high note, and Craig is far gone from CN now.

New blog!