Dexter's Laboratory

Started by Avaitor, July 03, 2011, 03:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Guess which series premiered 20 years ago today. :happytime:

And to think, if this didn't catch on, there's a possibility that Cartoon Network could have turned out very different. Thankfully, not only did Dexter's Lab turn out to be a hit, but also a good hit. One that still holds up, in fact!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I think I saw it when it first premiere. My favorite Cartoon Cartoon ever since. Happy 20th birthday, Dexter.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on April 28, 2016, 02:07:24 PM
Guess which series premiered 20 years ago today. :happytime:

And to think, if this didn't catch on, there's a possibility that Cartoon Network could have turned out very different. Thankfully, not only did Dexter's Lab turn out to be a hit, but also a good hit. One that still holds up, in fact!

Really crazy that Dexter and the Cartoon Cartoons are spiritual descendants to Yogi and Scooby; which by extension makes Steven Universe and the current lineup ones too.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been re-watching this show, and it definitely holds up great . . . until you get to the revival episodes. Without Genndy, the show doesn't work.

The direction is pedestrian, trying to approximate the original but never feeling quite right, and the writing is as generic and forgetful as can be. The episodes have no character, are not funny, and could be seen in just about any other cartoon. Worst is the voice direction. Deedee sounds so off that it hardly matters that she is no longer funny, and every character seems to resort to saying something loud or weird to get a laugh. About the only character that sounds good is Dexter, despite the lame plots he is put in, since Christine Cavanaugh's performance is so on point . . . until she leaves the show and is replaced with Candi Milo. I'm quite certain you could recast and repaint these seasons and no one would think it was ever meant to be Dexter's Lab. It has almost nothing in common with the original show except sharing slightly tweaked character designs and art style. I have no idea what they were thinking here.

It's actually a lot like the PPG revival. It was lightning in a bottle and just doesn't work without what made it great in the first place.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I liked the Wacky Races tribute, the episode where Dexter went to college, and Dexter's dad being a stunt driver apparently but that's about it. Those episodes were fun but only because they were the only ones that felt like they had actual effort put into them.

Avaitor

I keep on saying it, but I cannot watch The Loud House, since I cannot give a show made by the guy who ruined Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls the time of day.

Watching the earlier episodes prove that there's still a really good show here, but it shouldn't have been renewed after the original 52.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Loud House is actually exactly like those episodes. Savino can't seem to create a character with, well, character. The Loud House characters are all stereotypes that all run off their one character quirk and nothing else. Literally every episode is based around a generic situation where one of the cliched characters helps the boring main character do something. It's actually not too far off from these Dexter eps I'm watching. The show is boring and the characters are flat, just like his other stuff. I guess the man's stuff is just not for me. IMO, you're not missing anything.

Avaitor

I made a similar post on a Facebook group that I'm in, but people are getting seriously offended. Someone even brought up his work for Ren & Stimpy and Rocko, which was artistic rather than creative on those shows. But really, it's like saying that I'm not interested in keeping up with Schumacher after seeing Batman & Robin.

I know the show has its fans, but even the clips I've seen don't look like an improvement to me.

New blog!

FoxKidsLover16

Dexter's Laboratory was the first Cartoon Network show I ever saw. I watched it as a 2 year old and I loved it. I'm thinking of rewatching this show soon.

One of my favorite episodes of the show was that Chuck E. Cheese parody called "Chubby Cheese". I thought that was a funny episode. And the one with the chinese finger trap was funny too. I always liked it when Dexter and Dee Dee had to team up together