Butch Hartman's shows

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I don't know what I'm missing, but I can not get into Butch Hartman's work at all and will never understand why his shows became so popular. I hated Fairly OddParents and just found all the characters loud, annoying, and really obnoxious. Danny Phantom failed at being both an action show and a comedy show. And I haven't really watched TUFF Puppy but, given Hartman's track record, I don't see how I'm going to like it anymore than his previous work.

Oh, and the live action FOP movie looks awful.

Dr. Insomniac

Both him and Seth were better when they were just pulling shifts at shows made by other guys instead of helming their own work. That's all I'll say on the matter.

Spark Of Spirit

They're overly loud and obnoxious shows with absolutely no charm or cleverness to them.

They lead the way to shit like Fanboy & Chum Chum, as well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Danny Phantom is easily the best show he's worked on, I'm willing to say that. I haven't really seen it in a while though, so it probably doesn't hold up too well nowadays.

FOP has just gotten terrible, I do have fond memories of the show, but somewhere along the way the quality just went down the gutter.

And I avoid TUFF Puppy like the plague. Don't even wanna touch that one.

Commode

The only characters I enjoyed from FOP were Vicky, and the pop-star parodies Britney Britney and Chip Skylark.  Everything else was just loud, obnoxious, and in Cosmo's case, trying to fucking hard to make stupid seem funny.  Scratch that, I also liked Jorgen Van Strangle("right now he's doing the Van Strangley part") as well

Don't have much experience with Danny Phantom, but from what little I saw I thought it was decent, and the biggest complaint I have was the characters seemed rather jerk-assy.  I remember watching the one from early in the series with the lunchlady ghost, and thought it was awkward how Danny's two friends, the emo-type bitch and the token black kid, were constantly fighting throughout the episode.

Never seen TUFF Puppy, but then again I don't think I've watched more than a few minutes of Nick since the show's been on the air.  I certainly don't plan on ever seeing it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Eddy

Oh, thanks for reminding me, I actually liked Vicky too. If only for making Timmy's life a living hell, as Timmy was a whiny, selfish, annoying brat. The Britney Brtiney and Chip Skylark characters were enjoyable too and made some catchy songs. But everything else in FOP annoyed the hell out of me and, yes, they tried way too hard to make Cosmo funny.

Something else about FOP that annoyed me is there were times where they actually would come up with a fairly amusing joke. But then they would ruin it by driving that fucking joke into the ground by repeating it a dozen or so times in the same damn episode.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Eh, I like the Fairly OddParents, at least the earlier seasons. They do indeed have a terrible habit of running jokes to the ground though.

As for Danny Phantom, didn't watch much of it and it didn't really hold my interest. TUFF Puppy is a horrible case of wasted potential however, since I honestly think Jerry Trainer and Grey DeLisle play off each other really well, and would make a great comedy duo if it wasn't being handled by Hartman's team.

Spark Of Spirit

Jorgen actually made me laugh (and sometimes I linger on the show if he's on screen), but most of the time the voices just cut into my brain.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I am a fan of early Fairly Oddparents. Watching that and Zim back to back was good. Too bad FOP was the type of show that could get old fast. Danny Phantom got an instant no charisma alarm from me. And what's this? Butch rehashed the rule book gag? SHOCKING!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

When it came out, I liked Fairly Odd Parents a bit. I preferred Zim, but they were good compliments to each other when they premiered. The older I got and the more obnoxious it became, I started to hate the new episodes, and rewatching some of the old ones showed me just how cruel and irritating the show has always been. Now I can't stand the sight of it.

I honestly kind of liked Danny Phantom, but not initially. The first few episodes really sucked, but when they added in Vlad and the twist that Jazz was aware of Danny's secret, I got into the show. I think it took a turn for the worse shortly after Jazz revealed to Danny that she knew he was Danny Phnatom, and the last season and a half was, for the most part, pretty retched. Danielle Phantom was a pain in the ass too, but I'll admit that her first episode was good character stuff for Vlad.

Nowadays, I can barely tolerate the "good episodes". I never was much of a fan of Danny's character, and he seems to bitch a lot more than I remember. I can understand when someone like Jake Long complains about his duties, since he's been forced into it, or even Peter Parker, since he has a fucked-up life even when Spider-Man has no involvement in it at all. But no one told Danny to become Phantom when he got bit by the ghost juice, and most of the ghosts wouldn't be nearly as hazardous if he didn't provoke them. And even though his family is weird, they still love him, and he wouldn't be harassed at school as much if he wasn't such a little bugger. Even then, he's a better character than Sam, who's an annoying, self-righteous, ungoth bitch. She's always right (according to her) and a pain in the ass more often than not. They're perfect for each other.

Then there's just about every other aspect of the show, which before I get more into them, I'll just say that the show sucks. But it didn't have to.

As for TUFF Puppy, no interest. I've learned my lesson before.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Y'no what, this scene has everything wrong about the show in one image.

That's not funny, that's disturbing. And there are plenty of jokes like that to be found in the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's funny because he hates hims son for existing. Ha, ha.

It's not funny, it's just obnoxious.

Eddy

FOP got even worse when Wanda and Cosmo had that stupid baby fairy. Did that baby add anything to the show or what it just annoying?

Spark Of Spirit

The baby is basically a Pokemon. And a Gary Stu.

So you can imagine how awesome it is now.

Avaitor

Except there's no merchandise for Poof. Or the show, really.

I remember a few years ago, the president of Nick said that even though they were two of their most popular shows, they couldn't sell FOP or Hey Arnold on a shirt. Makes me wonder why it's still on, then. The ratings are decent on the few times the show airs, but not that much better than some of Nicks other shows.

New blog!