Butch Hartman's shows

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It's amazing how it gets worse and worse with each show's cast added to the short, too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Butch has been really interested in anime recently, what with re-drawing various anime characters in his art style. Heck, he's even a guest at Crunchyroll Expo. My guess is that he's planning to make an anime-style action-comedy for his next show.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

He must have been annoyed that Nick never agreed with his not so subtle hints that he wanted to bring back Danny Phantom back.

Peanutbutter

He should have left Nick a decade sooner. It was obvious they only cared about Fairly Oddparents, and even that eventually got pushed to the wayside and then mangled by adding that girl. At least he's finally seen the writing on the wall. I wish him the best of luck.

Daikun

Butch held a post-Nick career Q&A.

He's starting his own production studio and he's hiring staff. He also has a new series in the works called Elf Detective and he's looking to pitch the series to Netflix or Crunchyroll. Glad to see he has a roadmap for the future.

Dr. Insomniac

Butch explains what the deal was with Fairly Oddparents' bizarre tenure. Turns out they kept cancelling the show, but suddenly uncancelled it immediately after because of the ratings.

LumRanmaYasha

It seems Nick never had a clear idea of what they wanted from their animation department even back then. It's kinda funny that they underestimated FOPs popularity and success so many times in such a short span of time. 

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 19, 2018, 12:56:17 PMButch is trying to make his own network.

A famous Nicktoons creator goes to Kickstarter to launch a network?

Yeah, we've been down this rabbit hole before. Forgive me for being skeptical.

Dr. Insomniac

I don't know how it would even work. What shows and movies would he put in his network? Because with a quarter million, the best you could get are some public domain cartoons and obscure direct to video movies.

Peanutbutter

Not sure about it working, but the attempt I hope will inspire others to something like his idea even if it fails. I wish the best of luck to him on this.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

Butch probably would have gotten a warmer response if he showed examples of what Oaxis would be? Like promo sketches or animatics of shows he would make or present there. But instead of giving details or anything enticing, all he's offering is "wholesome site that will reconnect the family". I don't know why Butch thinks FOP fans, Danny Phantom fans, TUFF Puppy fans, or fans of his other work would be interested in something because it's family friendly. When has a Danny Phantom fan ever said they like the show because it's fun for the whole family? By presenting yourself as the safe moral alternative site, you're only appealing to the weird parents who think Disney Channel or Netflix even with all the parental controls on are too immoral for their kids.

And that opens up another can of worms, the implication that maybe Butch is pandering to another kind of people by pushing the "family" angle. The same way guys like Focus on the Family or the American Family Association push the "family" angle. It's a cynical stretch, but there's usually an overlap between people who push really questionable values and people who insist they're pro-family (The new season of Luke Cage kind of portrayed that with Mariah's "Family First" initiative). Like that part of his Oaxis video where he says kids who enjoy The Exorcist have been corrupted by violent media has that uncomfortable undertone to it you get from those people who blame violent video games or R-rated movies for crimes. This assertion on being family friendly always has a connotation. It's why those G-rated comedians like Brian Regan always get annoyed when they're called family friendly.