Animaniacs

Started by Avaitor, July 05, 2011, 11:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

And now our Ruegger collection is complete! Of the ones that matter, anyway.

Discuss the show here. For starters, this is one of my favorites.

Edit: It's altered a little, so the actual Power Rangers theme song is entered in. I actually kind of like it that way.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

I'm sure to take some heat for this, but here goes; was never really a fan of this like most people were. Honestly... I dunno, I just thought pretty much everything else from the Silver Age (the major stuff, I mean; not garbage like Waynehead) was better. Pinky & the Brain, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons... I just thought all three of these were better shows overall.

I think the characters have a lot to do with that, and the fact that Animaniacs had a large cast of generally useless, and rather unfunny characters. I liked the Warner siblings, to a certain degree. Pinky and The Brain were both great, and Slappy Squirrel was fun... but everyone else was either mediocre and underwhelming (the Goodfeathers), or just plain sucked (Mindy and Buttons, Minerva Mink... and lest I not forget, the fucking Hip Hippos.). The show was fun when it would stay on focus towards the aforementioned "good" characters, but once the tape on a Hip Hippos short started rolling... ughhhhh...

Don't get me wrong; I still like Animaniacs. Just not to the degree that everyone else does. Between a somewhat sprawling cast of forgettable characters, and the fact that the series took a huge tumble towards the end of its run (seriously; those late-run episodes SUCK), I just never liked it as much as I did everything else noteworthy from the Silver Age. It's still fun, though, and definitely holds its fair share of nostalgia.

Quote from: Avaitor on July 05, 2011, 11:26:57 AM
And now our Ruegger collection is complete! Of the ones that matter, anyway.
My username would beg to differ.  :whuh:

Edit: Woah, what happened? Half of my post up and disappeared when I went back and fixed something. I had to type that entire last paragraph AGAIN. Bah to that, I say.

Commode

Quote from: Kiddington on July 05, 2011, 09:59:26 PM
I'm sure to take some heat for this, but here goes; was never really a fan of this like most people were. Honestly... I dunno, I just thought pretty much everything else from the Silver Age (the major stuff, I mean; not garbage like Waynehead) was better. Pinky & the Brain, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons... I just thought all three of these were better shows overall.

I think the characters have a lot to do with that, and the fact that Animaniacs had a large cast of generally useless, and rather unfunny characters. I liked the Warner siblings, to a certain degree. Pinky and The Brain were both great, and Slappy Squirrel was fun... but everyone else was either mediocre and underwhelming (the Goodfeathers), or just plain sucked (Mindy and Buttons, Minerva Mink... and lest I not forget, the fucking Hip Hippos.). The show was fun when it would stay on focus towards the aforementioned "good" characters, but once the tape on a Hip Hippos short started rolling... ughhhhh...

Don't get me wrong; I still like Animaniacs. Just not to the degree that everyone else does. Between a somewhat sprawling cast of forgettable characters, and the fact that the series took a huge tumble towards the end of its run (seriously; those late-run episodes SUCK), I just never liked it as much as I did everything else noteworthy from the Silver Age. It's still fun, though, and definitely holds its fair share of nostalgia.

It's okay, I pretty much agree with everything you've said, and I've ranted on it before.  Not sure if those rants are on this site or were on the old site though...
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Animaniacs is my least favorite of the good Silver Age shows, too. When it's funny, it's really funny, but I do agree the lows are more painful compared to TTA's.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Guess what? Volume 4 is coming out, too!

Unlike TTA, this will finish the show's run, so yay.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

Oh shit.

Hey, we are only one release away from the last of TTA(except the specials I suppose, but we still don't have Wakko's Wish on DVD), and at least the end of TTA is watchable(most of the better eps are in these next two volumes) unlike Animaniacs, where just about every episode is mediocre to bad.

Kiddington

Umm... yay?

I'll probably buy it anyway just to finish off the set, but I'm not looking forward to this nearly as much as TTA. Late-run Animaniacs was pretty much trash from what I remember.

Avaitor

There are some highights if I remember correctly, but yeah, the show really took a turn for the weaker when Paul Rugg and Sherri Stoner left the writing staff. I'll get it for completion regardless.

New blog!

Silverstar

So volume 4 of A! is finally coming out, and on my birthday, no less.

I guess it'll be good to finally have the complete set....

Pity so many of the show's final crop of episodes were among the weakest of the series.

Quote from: KiddingtonI'm sure to take some heat for this, but here goes; was never really a fan of this like most people were. Honestly... I dunno, I just thought pretty much everything else from the Silver Age (the major stuff, I mean; not garbage like Waynehead) was better. Pinky & the Brain, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons... I just thought all three of these were better shows overall.

Tcha....that's pretty much how I feel, except that I never thought that Pinky & the Brain should've got their own show. Their shorts were among the better ones, I agree, but as a weekly series with no other attractions they just got repetitive. I would've rather gotten a Slappy spinoff; she was always my favorite character on the show.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

Avaitor

I saw. Don't they also have Pinky & the Brain?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Not altogether bad news. But I still don't have that channel.  :-X
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Huh, interesting.

I have the channel now, because I'm at home and have my parents' DirecTV, but I lose it in a few days when I go back home to my Cox basic cable.

Mr. Big

If they do a commercial starring Pinkie Pie and Pinky interacting, my life would be complete.

Daikun