Animaniacs

Started by Avaitor, July 05, 2011, 11:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It might also be because Animaniacs is so all over the place that dissecting it might be really fun. There's a lot to talk about good and bad in that show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 17, 2013, 10:44:18 AM
It might also be because Animaniacs is so all over the place that dissecting it might be really fun. There's a lot to talk about good and bad in that show.

DG did mention in the first blog post on how many stations Animaniacs aired on, even going as far to mention it airing currently on The Hub. Imagine if we do have a new audience being introduced to A! from The Hub. DG does focus on the strengths and weaknesses of certain segments, like Goodfeathers and Buttons and Mindy.

Silverstar

Another reason Animaniacs seems more popular overall right now is because the A! characters and concepts were original; they weren't just kiddifications of popular characters who already exist, and also on the whole A! as aged better than Tiny Toon Adventures. There were some pop-culture jokes and references in A!, but not as many has on TTA, and TTA tried hard to be very hip and contemporary, so while it's still holds up pretty well overall, a lot of the material seems kind of dated. (Kiddifications in general are also very much a product of their time.)

Also, A! contained a lot of jokes and cultural references which soared over the heads of kids, but there was enough visuals and general slapstick humor for them to be entertained, unlike Freakazoid!, which, while very funny, might have been a little too 'inside' for its' own good. For a lot of F!'s humor, you had to be at least 25-30 years old and/or a film and TV buff to get a lot of the jokes. I was 30 when F! debuted in 1999, and I didn't get several of the jokes right away. (I didn't know Jack Valenti was a real person until doing some research on the net later on, for example.)
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

DarthGonzo

Quote from: Avaitor on April 17, 2013, 10:41:30 AM
The funny thing is, the last time I checked, Darth agreed with a lot of you guys that Tiny Toons holds up better. I think he went with Animaniacs because the whole series is now available, while we're still waiting for the last TTA set, and yeah, it's the 20th anniversary.

Maybe he'll get to TTA afterwords, or during its 25th anniversary.

Back when I said that I preferred TTA and that it held up better, I was going through a period where I was really being way too hard on Animaniacs. Simply put, I feel Animaniacs - at it's best - was easily the better show. Elements of TTA are horribly dated now, and very, very few of the characters hold up the way they do on Animaniacs.

While I really enjoyed TTA when it was brand new, Animaniacs was and continues to be very close to my heart.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the blog. I'd love to get more feedback on how I'm doing.

Avaitor

Oh hey, you're on here now!

And yes, I'm loving your blog. I always keep up with it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

DarthGonzo

Discussion on TZ seems to have pretty much trailed off, especially since they banned PC Famicom.

Whenever I update the blog, I'll post links to each new entry here too.

Spark Of Spirit

Sounds cool. I'd like to see more.  :)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: DarthGonzo on June 15, 2013, 03:22:27 PM

Back when I said that I preferred TTA and that it held up better, I was going through a period where I was really being way too hard on Animaniacs. Simply put, I feel Animaniacs - at it's best - was easily the better show. Elements of TTA are horribly dated now, and very, very few of the characters hold up the way they do on Animaniacs.

While I really enjoyed TTA when it was brand new, Animaniacs was and continues to be very close to my heart.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the blog. I'd love to get more feedback on how I'm doing.

Hey, Gonzo! Good to see you again.  :) I enjoy your Animaniacs blog too, you've put a great amount of details into and the effort really shows.

Avaitor

Well you got me to rewatch the Russian episode earlier. That was 18, I believe?

Obscure joke. Ask your parents.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

GaryPotter

Hey Darth, do you plan on reviewing any of the other Silver Age shows?

DarthGonzo

Nope, just Animaniacs. Sorry, man.

My fiance would kill me if I decided to anything like this again.   :sweat:

:yakko: :wakko: :dot:

GaryPotter

That's cool. I understand. Maybe someday I'll do something similar with Freakazoid and Histeria!, two shows that are old favorites of mine.

I watched Animaniacs all the time back in 1994, before I got into Power Rangers and forgot about everything else. Watching repeats a while back, the show still holds up despite all the dated 90s stuff. However, the overall quality takes a significant drop after the show moved to WB.

Avaitor

Oh man, I forgot to comment about the latest review.

"Bubba Bo Bob Brain" is by far one of my favorite P&TB shorts, on Animaniacs or not. Even if its portrayal of country music isn't wholly relevant today, the short is a complete pleasure.

New blog!

Avaitor

I remember the cold opening to this one playing at the beginning of one of my old Animaniacs tapes. I believe one of the musical ones.

And of course Animaniacs Stew was the focus of a tape of its own. I might just pull out my old VHSes, even though I own all of those shorts on DVD, just for the hell of it.

New blog!