CatDog

Started by Kiddington, July 06, 2011, 03:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Since this ain't making AR's top 65 list (unless you guys all declare insanity within the top 10  :happytime:), figured I'd make a thread for this now. Hey, Rocket Power got one, so... yeah.

Does anyone here like this? Anyone at all? Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how many Youtube nostalgia buffs fondly remember this thing, as if it were some arthouse masterpiece of the 90's Nicktoons era ("OH YEAH CATDOG I IZ IN LOVE WID DAT SHOW", etc.). This forum (and TZ, to a lesser extent) might be the only places I've seen on the internet that doesn't have legions of fans frothing at the mouth over anything and everything Nickelodeon did during the 90's. It was a great era, sure... but not everything was great, or even watchable. Case and point? This.

I may have liked this show as a kid (almost sure I did), but after re-visiting it last year when Nicktoons started re-airing it again, I've come to realize it hasn't aged well. At all. Simply put, this show sucks. Un-charming characters (everybody is a fucking jerk in this show; EVERYBODY), bad voice acting, for the most part (Tom Kenny, you'll be taking this one to the grave), bad artwork, terrible writing, hardly a laugh to be found... and lest I not forget, the worst offender of them all; the Greaser Dogs. Almost every episode of this series (about a good 95%, to be sure) centered around these stereotypical "bully" characters, torturing the ever-living fuck out of CatDog... to the point where only a total masochist could actually enjoy this type of "entertainment". This was considered the basis of comedy in Pete Hannan's eyes, and IMO, makes for a totally miserable viewing experience. All things considered, I hate this show. A lot.

Looking back, probably the only cool thing about it was the theme song (which, is still pretty awesome). That, and the ever-excellent Jim Cummings turns in yet another solid performance on the voice acting front, in spite of working as a character with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Other than that? Ughhhhh. Chalk this one up as a bad misfire on Nick's part.

Sooooo... yeah, sorry for the long write-up; just wanted to share my thoughts. Anyone else?

Avaitor

Why do we keep on making threads for shows that we don't like? ???

I liked CatDog a little as a kid, but I don't think it was a favorite or anything. I had a couple of tapes and kids meal toys from it, but I had stuff like that for basically every Nicktoon back then. I haven't really watched it in ages, though, and I don't think I'd like it if I tried to anytime soon. So yeah, I'm going to stay ignorant I guess.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Eddy

I always hated CatDog. Even has a kid I couldn't find any enjoyment in it. I hated the characters, the writing, the everything. And was it just me or did the Rancid Rabbit come off as a copy of the Red Guy from Cow & Chicken? Popping up everywhere with a different occupation and always causing problems for Cat and Dog...

My young cousin loved this show growing up. I never understood what she saw in it. And you're right, everyone in this show was a jerk.

That said, the theme song is amazing.

Spark Of Spirit

This guy made Earthworm Jim.

And no, this doesn't come close.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Quote from: Desensitized on July 06, 2011, 05:42:34 PM
Huh?  I think you're thinking of Catscratch.  The creator of that show, Doug TenNapel(or whatever the fuck his name is), was also the creator of Earthworm Jim.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on July 06, 2011, 05:47:54 PM
Huh?  I think you're thinking of Catscratch.  The creator of that show, Doug TenNapel(or whatever the fuck his name is), was also the creator of Earthworm Jim.
I thought he also created this?

Whatever, they both blow.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Desensitized on July 06, 2011, 06:00:35 PM
Quote from: SNES Chalmers on July 06, 2011, 05:47:54 PM
I thought he also created this?
Nope. CatDog was created by Peter Hannan. To my knowledge, this is the only animated series he's ever worked on; nothing before, and nothing after.

Catscratch was created by super right-wing nut Doug TenNapel (you were right, Chalmers; that is his name), who previously made the Earthworm Jim series. As far as I know, he hasn't worked on anything since; now he basically spends his free time blogging about how awful Obama is or some shit. I dunno, I don't really care. He's a blowhard, though; I know that much.

...and there you have it. Huzzah!

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, well thanks! I actually did think he made this.

I know Beau has some issues with Doug TenNapel, but that's obviously for another thread.

Commode

Quote from: Kiddington on July 06, 2011, 06:07:32 PM
To my knowledge, this is the only animated series he's ever worked on; nothing before, and nothing after.
Wikipedia says he also worked on Robot Chicken.  Just as shitty, in my opinion.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on July 06, 2011, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on July 06, 2011, 06:07:32 PM
To my knowledge, this is the only animated series he's ever worked on; nothing before, and nothing after.
Wikipedia says he also worked on Robot Chicken.  Just as shitty, in my opinion.
Hmm, I guess I should clarifiy; CatDog is the only animated series, as far as I know, that he's ever been in charge of. Obviously with that, he was just some guy on the side.

I didn't know he had actually worked on Robot Chicken, though. Thanks!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, I neither ever liked or disliked this show. I was always indifferent to it as a kid, and upon trying to re-watch some of it to see how it holds up recently....yeah, I'm still pretty indifferent to it. Its harmless enough that it doesn't overly annoy or piss me off, but absolutely nothing about it entertains me in the slightest, so really I just don't feel like wasting any energy taking a side on whether its shit or not. To me its just kind of a boring part of Nick's past that I usually forget about until somebody else goes out of their way to mention it.

Eddy

Regarding Catscratch, I'd say that was probably the most forgettable Nicktoon ever. To me anyway. I honestly can't remember anything about the show other than it was bad and it was about cats.

Kiddington

Catscratch had the guy who played Newman on Seinfeld (Wayne Knight) voicing one of the main characters. Always thought that was kinda cool.

...other than that, though, screw it. I don't want to say it was "terribad" or anything quite that extreme, but damn, did it ever summarize mid-2000's Nickelodeon to a tee; mediocre, underwhelming, and totally forgettable. Worst part of it was, the production crew had some good names behind it, too. Such a waste of talent.

Lord Dalek

As the title of the show clearly suggests this was nothing more than a forgettable mishmash of cliches stolen from other BETTER 90s animated shows. Best left to the obscurity that good stuff like Ah! Real Monsters has been sadly awarded.

Mr. Big

Thought I'd share this. Anyone remember Ray Pointer over at GAC? Some may not realize that he worked in animation for many years at various places. At one point he was a sheet timer on CatDog throughout the run.

Anyway Ray was caricatured in one episode as "Amazing Ray" the magician. Needless to say he was not pleased. He considered it an insult.

It's up on YouTube, but lord knows for how long. So take a peek (or not) before Viacom sics their lawyers on them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM74ZgHE-4I