CatDog

Started by Kiddington, July 06, 2011, 03:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldstar

Quote from: Eddy on July 06, 2011, 09:50:40 PM
Regarding Catscratch, I'd say that was probably the most forgettable Nicktoon ever. To me anyway. I honestly can't remember anything about the show other than it was bad and it was about cats.

Catscratch was created by Doug TeNapel (Earthworm Jim). Too bad that it wasn't as funny as EWJ.

I can't say that I was ever a fan of CatDog either. Much of the shows' outrageousness seemed forced and the non-stop Cat bashing got old real fast.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Kiddington

Yeah, this show made its living off of browbeating Cat. I can barely recall a single episode that the Greaser Dogs didn't play a part in. If you want static programming, look no further.

...anyway, on another note, I haven't been following the DVD releases for this much (for obvious reasons of course), but apparently they're up to Season 2 Part 1 now, or will be in June. It appears to be as terrible of a value as the rest of them, ($20 for 12 episodes, no special features... and it's CatDog), but, it looks like they're at least selling. I guess that's good news.

Still wish they'd get around to Rugrats, though. I just can't believe they're letting Nick's original flagship series continue to rot in a vault somewhere. Shame, that is.

SSJ Jake

I liked CatDog when I was a young kid, but as I got older I saw it for the bland, idiotic garbage it is. I don't know anyone my age who still likes the show. If you still like it fair enough, but why? I'll go as far as saying I think Pelswick was a better show.  For a show about a siamese twin cat and dog it's really boring. The show relies to heavily on cliches and unfunny running gags. But perhaps what kills it for me is Dog. I hate this character so fucking much. While Cat is a greedy, cynical asshole, you can't really blame him, being stuck to a sociopathic moron who uncaringly drags his body on concrete just to chase cars. When they tried to make him seem sympathetic because of his stupidity I can't help but think in my mind "no no no, fuck this guy, fuck him, he's an asshole and doesn't deserve a shred of pity". I know there are other characters like Dog, Peter Griffin being another example. However, and I know some will disagree with me, I find Peter's antics to be charmingly retarded, his silly voice actually works and he usually gets what he deserves. Dog is as repulsive as every other character in the show, is usually unhurt in favor of Cat getting the beat down and as Kiddington pointed out, is one of Tom Kenny's worst roles. How anyone can find SpongeBob to be annoying but actually like Dog I haven't a clue.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

Dr. Insomniac

At least with jackasses like Rancid Rabbit or those Greasers, we were supposed to dislike them. With Dog, he's the bloody main character. We're expected to laugh at him senselessly torturing the closest thing he has to a brother. I think Nick wanted to go the slapstick route here, but they took it too far and just lost tact in favor of being mindlessly zany.

Avaitor

Yeah, when I watch the show again, the show is so needlessly cruel to Cat. The Greasers, Winslow, Rancid Rabbit and everyone else just piss on him because he's a cat, I guess. If he was at least as vain or vindictive as Eddy or Chicken, I'd be fine with it, but all Cat really seem to want was peace and quiet, but considering how rambunctious his other half was, that just couldn't happen.

And Dog really did not come out as a likable character as a result. Even as a major dog lover as a kid, I still wasn't a big fan of him. I also remember that they tried pretty hard to make his "HI-HO-DIGGITY" cry a catchphrase for kids, but that never happened.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

At the very least, Rancid Rabbit was somewhat funny as a sadistic villain (Billy West probably makes it work more than anything, though).

Everyone else... just prototypical stock bully characters with no personality whatsoever. It's why I hated the Greasers so much, and why I could never understand the continued large role they played in this show (off the top of my head, I can recall maybe 5-6 episodes they were nowhere to be seen in; that's how bad it was).

talonmalon333

It's interesting how the two main characters in this show are voice by two greats, Jim Cummings and Tom Kenny. But they both give pretty lousy performances for those characters.

Avaitor

I don't think Jim Cummings was that bad as Cat, actually. He did as good of a job with the weaker material he was given than he should have.

Tom Kenny as Dog is a different story, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Jim Cummings is pretty much good in anything. Tom Kenny usually needs good material, from my experience.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I thought Jim Cummings was good in everything until I rewatched this. The moment I heard him again I thought the voice was all wrong.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

So I've decided that this is the worst Nicktoon. Even more so than Rocket Power. At least I can get some entertainment from that show. CatDog is simply one of the most boring things ever. And it gets no more right than Rocket Power.

Kiddington

A complete series set is on the way, for those that actually care.

$40 for this, when the Hey Arnold only cost $20? Heeeeelllll no. I still don't get how we've come this far with literally nothing announced for Rugrats (except those cheap Amazon mods that I refuse to buy), and yet arguably the worst Nicktoon ever is getting a complete set, through standard retail no less.

Whatever man.

Avaitor

It really is a shame that Nick and Shout! haven't renewed their contract. I'd gladly buy Rugrats or Salute Your Shorts sets.

But CatDog? Nah.

New blog!

Kiddington

I still can't believe Rugrats was never included on the original contract.

For being basically Nick's "breakout" series, they've been highly apathetic towards it for a long time now. That's weird to me.