Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Yeah, everyone goes on about how much effort they put into the single player.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

If you like MK2 I have a hard time imagining how you would hate this. It basically takes and fleshes out the combat system from 2 and the speed of 3 (without the damn run button) and pretty much makes it the best MK game on any technical level. It's also a lot of fun to just mess around in.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I definitely picked a good game to be my most wanted than
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Quote from: Desensitized on July 07, 2011, 01:36:27 AM
Thanks for reminding me about Power Stone 2. I have the collection for the PSP and the Dreamcast version of 2. I should get back to it, that game was amazing.

Talk about an underutilized franchise.
...well, speak of the devil.

I actually bought the original Power Stone (Dreamcast, of course) last month. New indie game store opened up here a few months ago, and I finally made it down there a little while back. It was used, of course, but affordably priced at $15, with the case. They actually had a great Dreamcast selection overall, but I wasn't in the market for a huge shopping spree that day.

Still, this was pretty cool. I love these games. Underutilized franchise indeed; when was the last we got? Five years ago or something? Bah to that, I say.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Desensitized on July 07, 2011, 12:09:38 AMAlso, Capcom is missing out big time by not trying to turn Rival Schools into a big franchise. It would go over huge both in Japan and probably carve out a good audience here.

I love Rival Schools, but its a product of its time and there's practically no room for it within the modern video game landscape. Capcom doesn't do niche releases for a franchise and I doubt they want it to linger as a DLC title like Arcana Hearts and that one other Aksys fighting game.

Not to mention Capcom USA's handling of the original games was just horrendous. It wasn't Darkstalkers bad, but goddamn did they drop the ball big time.

And since it appears we have lots of SNK virgins here, I suggest you all track down the Orochi Saga Collection for either Wii or PS2, the PSP port has shit-tier loading times. You get 3 games for the price of one bargain bin one. They're a bit outdated, but they're quite solid and do not have too many expliots like the later games. You could also look for '98 Ultimate Match, which is similar to the 2002 update released for XBLA, but doesn't have as many characters. If you ever get a chance, give the Last Blade 2 a try, and might as well toss in Samurai Shodown Anthology as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on July 11, 2011, 10:25:12 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on July 07, 2011, 12:09:38 AMAlso, Capcom is missing out big time by not trying to turn Rival Schools into a big franchise. It would go over huge both in Japan and probably carve out a good audience here.

I love Rival Schools, but its a product of its time and there's practically no room for it within the modern video game landscape. Capcom doesn't do niche releases for a franchise and I doubt they want it to linger as a DLC title like Arcana Hearts and that one other Aksys fighting game.

Not to mention Capcom USA's handling of the original games was just horrendous. It wasn't Darkstalkers bad, but goddamn did they drop the ball big time.
Yeah, you got a point. I just wish the ball wasn't dropped so hard on the series in so many stupid ways. Like, it can't be rereleased because of music related issues? It's the same guy who composed Mega Man X, how many problems could there be?

I guess I'm just really tired of Capcom's shit this gen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Just to let you all know, King of Fighters XIII comes out next week. The release date guarantees its gonna be completely ignored in favor of Skyrim Sword Warfare 3D Land though. But since its Atlus, they'll probably be happy with just a couple hundred-thousand units sold.

It's also better than Skullgirls.

Rynnec

Does Skullgirls even have a set release date yet? The only thing wikipedia says is "early 2012". I admit that I'm somewhat curious to play it.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I think it was supposed to be out last month, but its been pushed back to January.

Didn't mean to imply its a bad game, I'm just promoting KoF because Atlus isn't doing their job right now. I guess the better comparison would be Ultimate MvC3 or even Mortal Kombat.

Rynnec

Yeah, UMvC3 would've been the better coHolmparison. Since it's probably going to be the fighting game that everyone is gonna get this holiday season unfourtunately. I probably should look at some KoF XIII gameplay videos sometime soon. I still can't believe that Capcom released the same damn fighting game twice in one year.

On the subject of other fighters though, Guilty Gear Accent Core + has been pretty fun so far, but I suck at combos. While the Wii Classic Controller pro doesn't feel as comfortable for fighting games as the Playstations controller does, it's still more reliable than the Xbox controller.

GaryPotter

I've been playing the heck out of Tekken 6 recently, and I just have one thing to say...

What a fucking tease.

You play Arcade mode and kick everyone's asses easily, only to run into Azazel at the end and it's impossible to kill him. And Scenario Campaign Mode? Holy hell. You blow through almost every stage without dying once, then you need to fight Alisa. However, unlike when she's on your team and useless, she runs right at you and unloads a huge string of unblockable combos.

The game basically tricks you. It makes you think you're great, but then pulls down it's pants and laughs at you.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I found this chuckle-worthy article from 1UP regarding Itagaki's old rivalry with Tekken director Harada.

I laughed at his last line about how the current Team Ninja is just made up of ordinary Japanese people whereas he and Harada are both "crazy" and thus had a kick out of talking smack about each other's games back when he was doing the DOA fighting games.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

QuoteYeah, UMvC3 would've been the better coHolmparison. Since it's probably going to be the fighting game that everyone is gonna get this holiday season unfourtunately. I probably should look at some KoF XIII gameplay videos sometime soon. I still can't believe that Capcom released the same damn fighting game twice in one year.

Sounds like its struggling at retail right now. I actually haven't seen it at any stores here besides GameStop, whereas the first version is still on discount at Target and Kmart and the rest don't have either version anymore. Part of me is glad consumers didn't fall for the old trick again, and another part of me figures it only underperformed because it came out in the one holiday month that everyone releases their big guns in.

Also, I was excited for SFxT's gem system because it finally sounded like Capcom would move out of their comfort zone and try something new that would shake stuff up in terms of 2D fighting, but then the retailer exclusive stuff took over. I'm still pretty pumped to try them out, but pulling something like that is just asking for rage.

Rynnec

http://shoryuken.com/2012/08/23/doujin-fighter-yatagarasu-being-ported-to-3ds-for-north-america-and-europe/

QuoteNicalis, a company best known for developing and publishing a number of great indie titles for Nintendo systems, announced today that they will be heading a new project to release a 3DS port of Yatagarasu. This doujin fighter, created by a three-man team of former SNK employees operating under the name Circle Edge, was originally released on PC back in 2011.
While details are scarce at the moment regarding a release date, the game will be available in both North America and Europe through the 3DS eShop, and will also be on display at this year?s PAX Prime in Seattle, Washington. If you?re planning on attending the event, be sure to stop by and check it out.
The full press release can be found below (in the link).

Pretty cool, and the game itself doesn't look to shabby either. Hopefully this will lead to more doujin games getting overseas releases (though I'm not exactly holding my breath).

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Doujin fighter by SNK employees? I'm game.

How does Blazblue and Street Fighter feel on the 3DS anyway? Haven't had a chance to try them on one yet.