Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Mustang on May 18, 2017, 11:34:10 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 18, 2017, 05:50:30 PM
Of all the Soul Calibur games.

Garou and Rival Schools are way too low, but it's otherwise got a good selection.

Are they? Considering this is Japan we're talking about here. I suppose you can make an argument for taking games off. I'm not so sure they would've cracked higher than 13 (Maybe? Probably not even that if Tekken 7 is as great as it looks). Also, considering that Marvel vs Capcom 2 nor Guilty Gear XXAC+R made the list I think it's fine where it's at. But then again this is all coming from me looking at the tournament side of things.
Garou is regularly considered the best SNK fighting game, even in Japan. SNK as a whole is not as popular as they once were, but outside of KoF 98, I can't think of a fighter they've made that's more popular.

As for Rival Schools, I keep being told it's not popular and has no appeal or chance of a revival, yet every time there's some sort of list it shows up on it. So, like, I have no idea how popular it is. Releasing the sequel on a limited run on the Dreamcast with a title that has nothing to do with the original one certainly didn't help the series, and is a pretty lame reason it never got continued. But it apparently hasn't stopped people from liking the original so much.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Given KOFXIV's placement, it could be taking Garou's and 98's place as SNK's most popular fighter.

Mustang

Quote from: Spark of SpirtGarou is regularly considered the best SNK fighting game, even in Japan. SNK as a whole is not as popular as they once were, but outside of KoF 98, I can't think of a fighter they've made that's more popular.

KoF13, perhaps? I would think the only reason that failed, if you can say it failed was because online was terrible. I might be getting Mexico mixed up here though. I'm fairly late when it comes to SNK games though (with 13 being my first since 98). However, I've always thought Garou was much like 3rd Strike (in regards to the reception).

Quote from: Spark of SpiritAs for Rival Schools, I keep being told it's not popular and has no appeal or chance of a revival, yet every time there's some sort of list it shows up on it. So, like, I have no idea how popular it is. Releasing the sequel on a limited run on the Dreamcast with a title that has nothing to do with the original one certainly didn't help the series, and is a pretty lame reason it never got continued. But it apparently hasn't stopped people from liking the original so much.

A bad analogy incoming. Take Street Fighter 5. Mika, Karin, and Alex. Characters people claimed they couldn't wait to get their hands on. It's a been a year and some change and you can barely find any players for the experience (maybe due to matchmaking). I think it's a bunch of people just talking to be talking. I almost want to put Darkstalkers there as well. I've seen people say they want a Darkstalkers 4, but are they really gonna buy and play it? I don't know.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on May 19, 2017, 01:11:19 AM
Given KOFXIV's placement, it could be taking Garou's and 98's place as SNK's most popular fighter.
This is very possible. After XIII brought a lot of cred back to the series, XIV appears to be finally getting mainstream attention again.

I'd still like a sequel to Garou, though. The Fatal Fury series is still my personal favorite overall 2D fighting series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mustang

I have to admit, these past couple of days have not been great for me when it comes to fighting games. For crying out loud I'm considering getting Injustice 2 simply because it's a complete game. My hype for Tekken 7 has pretty much been shattered because it's basically Street Fighter 5 all over again. I think what makes me even more salty about it is that the game has been out in arcades in Japan for nearly 2 years and to release a game this bare. I've always been behind the idea that you should cater to your tournament crowd, but to neglect the casual crowd, really? Then there's a season pass as well. This Gen, I don't know. It's basically been release incomplete game and get the rest of it through a season pass.

Anyway, to pour more salt on my wounds.

MVCI roster rumor plus SUPER STREET FIGHTER 5 rumor

Yeah, I'm definitely considering getting Injustice 2 and start up Guilty Gear Rev 2 at this point.

Rynnec

Injustice 2 lost alot of hype for me with Slade and Lobo's being cut, the only main from the first game to return is Catwoman, and I can only play as her ame-comi skin because her default looks terrible. The whole game is just leaving me cold and I can't bring myself to care about it much. Maybe I'll pay attention to it if the rumours of Spawn getting in as DLC are true.

There are dozens of things wrong with MVCI's leaked roster, and I just know they'll save all the good stuff for DLC and season passes if it's real.

Mustang

I'd never give the thought of buying a NRS title, but Red Hood got me.

gunswordfist

I didn't know Lobo was in Injustice 1. No Deathstroke sounds fucking awful.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Mustang

Dragon Ball Fighter Z

The potential is there for this game to be as hype as MvC, but when it comes to the tournament scene it's hard to see an ASW's game gathering more viewers than a Capcom title.

I do hope this game succeed though. So much potential for hype moments. I already want a team of Vegeta, Cell, and probably Goku (preferably Goku Black if he's in it)/Beerus

gunswordfist

All I ask for is Hit, Goku Black, Super Janemba and Beerus.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Dragon Ball franchise is arguably the most popular it has been since the late 90's and early 2000's thanks to the recent movies and Super. While not quite as big as in the peak of its heyday, it still pulls in tens of millions of fans around the world, which may interest enough people to check this game out and make it a more viable commercial option for the tournament scene in the same way that Pokken Tournament was featured at EVO last year, with participants like Justin Wong and other veteran Street Fighter players gving it a lot more credibility among the FGC.

Of course, this is assuming that the game has a solid enough foundation in its mechanics to be a technical fighter suited for tournaments, but if Guilty Gear is any indication, it will be.

Mustang

Here's where you're messing up at, though. Mr. Wizard will always favor in bringing in a new fighting game to Evo. So yes, Pokken was a shoe in last year. However, this year it will NOT be at Evo. DBFZ will be a shoe in next year for Evo. The problem will be maintaining it's stay. Guilty Gear has a large crowd (small, but largest in ASW) backing it and hoping Daisuke is involved with this project because if not, there could be another divide between that community.

DBZ will not be competing with any Capcom game when it comes to the tournament scene (that's wishful thinking on my part), I can guarantee you that much (especially Evo). Nah, DBZ will be competing against Guilty Gear. I intentionally left BlazBlue off.

Also, this is the Gen of dumbing down on technical fighters. You're overestimating Guilty Gears technical prowess on bringing in new people. There would be a lot more people playing if that were the case. People are steadily trying to convince people to play Guilty Gear Xrd.

The anime community is one thing, but when it comes to the FGC it's an entirely different beast. Anime don't tend to last long. Seriously, if it's not Capcom at some of these tournaments, a lot of these folks can become quite the savage.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm well aware of how fickle the FGC is when it comes to this stuff, but I was referring more to the commercial aspect of these tournaments as well. Since these affairs have gotten so big that they need some serious funding to be held each year, sponsors will want to feature games that attract more viewers, so it's not completely the say of the FGC in which games are featured or not. Case in point is that I'm well aware of the large amount of disdain that has built up for SFV since its release. Core A Gaming has even dedicated several videos to how much veteran players are insanely annoyed by how Capcom is handling that title. Yet it will still continue to be forced as a featured mainstay at EVO because it pulls in so many viewers.

While the games being played SHOULD be ones that are more balanced and well suited for competitive play, the reality is that publishers and sponsors are looking for what games will pull in more interest (and consequently money) than what will make for the best game. For that reason, I feel that DBZF has a good chance of being featured next year, but as you said, I don't actually expect it to stay around for long unless ASW makes something that's really appealing to hardcore FGC fans, which I doubt since the game will still have to be simple and easy enough to pick up for casual fighting gamers who are just interested in it for the DBZ characters.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 11, 2017, 08:27:49 PM
I'm well aware of how fickle the FGC is when it comes to this stuff, but I was referring more to the commercial aspect of these tournaments as well. Since these affairs have gotten so big that they need some serious funding to be held each year, sponsors will want to feature games that attract more viewers, so it's not completely the say of the FGC in which games are featured or not. Case in point is that I'm well aware of the large amount of disdain that has built up for SFV since its release. Core A Gaming has even dedicated several videos to how much veteran players are insanely annoyed by how Capcom is handling that title. Yet it will still continue to be forced as a featured mainstay at EVO because it pulls in so many viewers.

Yes and no. TO's can run whatever they want (companies can shut them down if they wanted of course). Nowadays, considering the FGC is now E-sports, they'd be foolish to not follow the money. Capcom Cup has $500,000 on the line (I think), NRS got something like $600,000 on the line and now Tekken 7 has joined in as well. It make sense to follow the money. But back then, SF5 would be buried. Hell, Street Fighter x Tekken got buried and people went back to Street Fighter 4. It's not that the FGC don't have a matter in the say, because they can easily go back to USF4 (the hate is so strong for that game. You have folks that literally will stick with a mess like SF5 than go back to dealing with vortexes), but the pots are too large to turn away from. E-League tournament ended 2 weeks ago I believe. $250k (invitational). Whose walking away from that when everyone has a chance to win?

QuoteWhile the games being played SHOULD be ones that are more balanced and well suited for competitive play, the reality is that publishers and sponsors are looking for what games will pull in more interest (and consequently money) than what will make for the best game. For that reason, I feel that DBZF has a good chance of being featured next year, but as you said, I don't actually expect it to stay around for long unless ASW makes something that's really appealing to hardcore FGC fans, which I doubt since the game will still have to be simple and easy enough to pick up for casual fighting gamers who are just interested in it for the DBZ characters.

Something about this just rubs me the wrong way. It almost makes me wonder what tournaments are you watching or if you've ever seen any of the UMvC3 tournaments before these dying days. One can argue that a game as busted as UMvC3 is/was generated the most hype barring Daigo parry. Only 4-5 of those players are sponsored (Rick Fox formed probably the most dominate team in fighting games). These newer fighting games in tournaments are, for the most part relatively balanced or as close to balanced (I can't speak about Smash. I don't follow it). So when you say things like "games that're more balanced should be the ones being played", are you actually watching or going by word of mouth? Better yet, are you playing? I'm not trying to be a douche or anything, but some of the stuff you're saying makes me question if you're really following the scene or not

Rynnec

Last time I checked, Smash 4 is as closed to being balanced as possible. Like Mustang said, pretty much every fighter with a competitive scene, even smaller ones like Nitroblasterz or Under Night, are well balanced. UMvC3 being the only exception, likely due to name recognition alone. Most fighting games are even developed with a competitive crowd in mind. Granted, this is from someone who mostly follows the anime FGC.