Author Topic: Fighting Games  (Read 12678 times)

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
Re: Fighting Games
« Reply #375 on: May 18, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
Of all the Soul Calibur games.

Garou and Rival Schools are way too low, but it's otherwise got a good selection.

Are they? Considering this is Japan we're talking about here. I suppose you can make an argument for taking games off. I'm not so sure they would've cracked higher than 13 (Maybe? Probably not even that if Tekken 7 is as great as it looks). Also, considering that Marvel vs Capcom 2 nor Guilty Gear XXAC+R made the list I think it's fine where it's at. But then again this is all coming from me looking at the tournament side of things.
Garou is regularly considered the best SNK fighting game, even in Japan. SNK as a whole is not as popular as they once were, but outside of KoF 98, I can't think of a fighter they've made that's more popular.

As for Rival Schools, I keep being told it's not popular and has no appeal or chance of a revival, yet every time there's some sort of list it shows up on it. So, like, I have no idea how popular it is. Releasing the sequel on a limited run on the Dreamcast with a title that has nothing to do with the original one certainly didn't help the series, and is a pretty lame reason it never got continued. But it apparently hasn't stopped people from liking the original so much.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

• Elite Beat Agents
  • American Dragon
  • Gore-fapper
« Reply #376 on: May 19, 2017, 01:11:19 AM »
Given KOFXIV's placement, it could be taking Garou's and 98's place as SNK's most popular fighter.

Mustang

• Death Metal Vocalist
« Reply #377 on: May 19, 2017, 02:19:24 AM »
Quote from: Spark of Spirt
Garou is regularly considered the best SNK fighting game, even in Japan. SNK as a whole is not as popular as they once were, but outside of KoF 98, I can't think of a fighter they've made that's more popular.

KoF13, perhaps? I would think the only reason that failed, if you can say it failed was because online was terrible. I might be getting Mexico mixed up here though. I'm fairly late when it comes to SNK games though (with 13 being my first since 98). However, I've always thought Garou was much like 3rd Strike (in regards to the reception).

Quote from: Spark of Spirit
As for Rival Schools, I keep being told it's not popular and has no appeal or chance of a revival, yet every time there's some sort of list it shows up on it. So, like, I have no idea how popular it is. Releasing the sequel on a limited run on the Dreamcast with a title that has nothing to do with the original one certainly didn't help the series, and is a pretty lame reason it never got continued. But it apparently hasn't stopped people from liking the original so much.

A bad analogy incoming. Take Street Fighter 5. Mika, Karin, and Alex. Characters people claimed they couldn't wait to get their hands on. It's a been a year and some change and you can barely find any players for the experience (maybe due to matchmaking). I think it's a bunch of people just talking to be talking. I almost want to put Darkstalkers there as well. I've seen people say they want a Darkstalkers 4, but are they really gonna buy and play it? I don't know.
SF3 - Dudley, Makoto, Ryu
USF4 - Dudley, Ryu, Evil Ryu

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #378 on: May 19, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »
Given KOFXIV's placement, it could be taking Garou's and 98's place as SNK's most popular fighter.
This is very possible. After XIII brought a lot of cred back to the series, XIV appears to be finally getting mainstream attention again.

I'd still like a sequel to Garou, though. The Fatal Fury series is still my personal favorite overall 2D fighting series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton