Favourite Nicktoons

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomysterion X. Prime

You won't mind if I start this one up again, right?

I like a lot of Nicktoons myself, here's a partial list of my faves.

Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life- If you want to see a kids cartoon with good adult gags, these two are your obvious answers.
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters- Sad to see this one die, this is still Klasky-Csupo's best Nicktoon (along with old-school Rugrats, that is). I really miss the authenticity of how scary Ickis, Oblina, Krumm, and the rest of those monsters were. If I were to pick which one is more scary for kids, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters would more likely conquer those cheesy Hollywood movie monsters all the way.
Angry Beavers- Why must all of the greater Nicktoons die? The Angry Beavers was truly no exception, even with Daggett "spooting" things up.
Invader ZIM- If you want a good sci-fi cartoon series, ZIM's your most likely option.

Avaitor

Zim and Rocko are easily my favorites, and really the only ones I'm feeling especially close to right now.

I also like Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, and Jimmy Neutron quite a bit. I'd probably round them up to make a top 5.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Hey Arnold! is my favorite Nicktoon.  Others that are in that top tier for me would probably be Rocko, Zim, Spongebob and Angry Beavers.  Ren & Stimpy, Doug, Rugrats are examples of the middle tier, while pretty much everything else(Catdog, Rocket Power) is somewhere below that.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

My brother and I just rewatched the thanksgiving episodes of Hey Arnold and Rocko. I am always impressed by just how marvelously these shows hold up.

And how he's move to Ren and Stimpy. This is the part where I tune out. :wth:

Avaitor

I feel like the only person on here to who still likes Ren & Stimpy, even if only parts of it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I still like the first season, and choice episodes from the others here and there.

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 28, 2013, 04:21:25 PM
I still like the first season, and choice episodes from the others here and there.
Same.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on November 28, 2013, 03:30:19 PM
I feel like the only person on here to who still likes Ren & Stimpy, even if only parts of it.
You're certainly the biggest APC fan on here. No doubt about that!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Ewww.

I like some of John K's R&S, but it is true that I like it less than I did before.  The animation and art work for the show is still great, but the writing/stories are awful, and most of the actual characters are rather obnoxious.

talonmalon333

The art direction of Ren and Stimpy is really phenomenal. Those painted backgrounds look almost like a Looney Toons cartoon.

Also, as someone who doesn't even like the show, I still feel embarrassed for APC.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: talonmalon333 on November 28, 2013, 06:23:31 PM
The art direction of Ren and Stimpy is really phenomenal. Those painted backgrounds look almost like a Looney Toons cartoon.

John K. loves Looney Tunes (he even did some commentaries for the Third Golden Collection, iirc), so it's no surprise that he tried to make his show look as great as them as possible. That's one thing I respect about him, but...

Quote from: Comeau on November 28, 2013, 05:18:17 PM

I like some of John K's R&S, but it is true that I like it less than I did before.  The animation and art work for the show is still great, but the writing/stories are awful, and most of the actual characters are rather obnoxious.

Yeah. I think John K. is a brilliant animator and artist, but a terrible writer and creator. That said, "Space Madness," "Stimpy's Invention," "The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen" and a couple others from the Spumco era still hold up for me pretty well to this day.

Commode

He did commentaries for (mainly Bob Clampett) cartoons on volumes 2,3, and 5.  Clampett is pretty much his hero, although he does praise Chuck Jones and Tex Avery fairly regularly as well.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 28, 2013, 04:49:53 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on November 28, 2013, 03:30:19 PM
You're certainly the biggest APC fan on here. No doubt about that!
So thinking that it's an abomination means more than thinking it's the worst thing to grace television? That does make sense.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

John K's like Orson Scott Card without the homophobia, due to how you can't look at his work without thinking about the creator's ego.

Avaitor

Yeah, I think we made a trifecta of pretense with John K, Alan Moore and Yngwie a while ago.

New blog!