Favourite Nicktoons

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

that show confused me as a child.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

What show would you guys say fell harder? SpongeBob or Rugrats?

LumRanmaYasha

Spongebob, if only because Rugrats had more "good seasons" than it by a slim margin.

Avaitor

I've been thinking of the possibilities of various shows being revived, and I think this is the likelihood for a lot of them-

Doug- So the record states that Nickelodeon owns their episodes, and Disney owns theirs, but I think Disney owns the rights to bring the characters back, so it's not in Nick's court. Maybe if DuckTales does well enough, Disney will think about it, but idk who will want more of their Doug.

Rugrats- As big as the show was, most agree that it should've ended a couple of babies earlier, and that there isn't much to do with the characters anymore. But I mean, they'll probably find something to do with the show, be it a special, a movie, or a full-out reboot. There's no way they won't consider it.

Ren & Stimpy- It really looks like APC ruined the show's property value. From what I've heard, John K and Bob Camp have both pitched ideas to Viacom, and they've both been turned down. I can't really think of anything I want to see with the characters, anyway.

Rocko's Modern Life- Well, we're obviously getting a special. Will there be more? I saw someone ask Joe Murray on FB (who I still have friended), and his response is a pretty standard "idk, probably not tho". Maybe if it does gangbusters, we will.

AAAHH!!! Real Monsters- Possibly? This was popular back in the day, but I think it's better remembered for fans of spooky aesthetic more than anything. I don't think that it's all that special, but I can still watch it and get a laugh, so I could take or leave a revival.

Hey Arnold!- Besides the movie? Didn't Craig have a show in development for Nick?

Kablam!- The problem with this show is that it's a variety show, with a lot of hit or miss subjects. Life With Loopy and Action League Now, for instance, were pretty fun, but Angela Anacaonda and Prometheus and Bob come off as flat imo. I think revivals of individual segments might work better than the whole show, but aside from Action League, I don't think the majority of it is all that memorable.

The Angry Beavers- I can see a special or something. I feel like this one came and went, but it still has its fans.

CatDog- I feel like this one is pretty similar to Angry Beavers, except it was a little more popular and probably holds up less to most people who check both out. We'll see.

The Wild Thornberrys- I never understood the popularity of this one. I thought it was pretty boring, give or take special events like the movie and Donnie's origin special. So maybe it works better with some length. Still not my first choice, though.

SpongeBob SquarePants- Nah, it's good.

Rocket Power- As much as it annoyed a lot of us, this was a pretty popular show. But it might be too much of a product of its time to properly return. If it was a little more self-aware, though, then you might be onto something.

As Told by Ginger- I don't think it would work to pick up where it ended. You might need to end with Ginger graduating high school, or a reunion. I can see it work, but while this one had its fans, I don't think it's endured in the same way Arnold has to make that kind of throwback work.

The Fairly Odd Parents- Same as SpongeBob.

Invader Zim- A special is happening, and I think that's good, since the series has unfinished business. I'm not sure how well it'll work out, but I'll be there.

Chalk Zone- So apparently, Nick was prepped to make this the next big thing, but they were underestimating SpongeBob's massive appeal, and let this one go to the wayside. I don't think it's that memorable or good personally, and can't really think of any real reason or demand to do something new with it.

Jimmy Neutron- I still like this show, as dopey as it is, but I'm not sure if it needs something new. Especially after Planet Sheen proved to be such a flop.

My Life as a Teenage Robot- Meh, I don't think there's a big demand for it. I always felt that this one came off as a little dated, premiering a few years after Dexter's Lab and PPG's heyday but still crypting their UPA-influenced style. But it does have its fans.

All Grown Up- I don't think they'd bring the characters back in this format over Rugrats. There's no interest.

Danny Phantom- I'm calling it. Also not a show that I'm a fan of, but it has some kind of demand for something new, and Hartman seems to like to have any excuse he has to not give FOP 100%. A movie isn't out of the question.

Avatar- I don't think action cartoons in the vein of Avatar are in demand, so I doubt that we'll get another series any time soon. Especially after how they treated Korra.

If I didn't mention it, it's probably an also-ran with little hopes of something new. Unless it's live-action, since that's a different thing, and they've expressed interest in focusing on the Nicktoons for now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Angry Beavers would go over great if they made a special.

Hey Arnold and Rocko I'm good with ending here. Hey Arnold has been leading up to the Jungle Movie for its whole run so this is where it should end, but if Nick gives Craig Bartlett another show then that's good enough. Rocko makes for good special fodder every now and again, but I think it's better off staying that way. A full on reboot is not what I want. I would be okay with, again, giving Joe Murray a shot with a new series.

Get where I'm going? It's not the old series I want to see revived, but it's the creators I want to see given another shot. Nick had been exceptionally bad at capitalizing on talent and letting it fall away, and this is their chance at rectifying that. They let every one of those creators make a hit and then disappear when they should not have.

As for other series, I don't see Doug returning since the Disney run killed a lot of his popularity and they barely even acknowledge their TV output as it is. And as far as TV goes, the Disney Afternoon still hasn't gotten the full re-release treatment it deserves yet. Ren & Stimpy is getting a short or two for presentation with movies last I heard, so I think it's fine where it is.

Rugrats is the easiest show to revive without really rebooting it. How? Just make Tommy the father of new babies. That's pretty much it. There's not much to it.

But I'm not sure there's any interest in post-Zim shows. None of them were very popular or have any large cult fanbase to speak of aside from Avatar. Danny Phantom is a possibility, but that's only because Hartman is a fixture at Nick. Avatar is simply not going to happen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Doug is dead, Disney ain't gonna bring that back.  They'd resurrect Recess long before Doug.

Also about Fairly Oddparents: https://twitter.com/nickandmore/status/890349913850220544
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I wish they would just re-release Recess, honestly.

As for FOP... Yeah, sure. I'll believe it when I see it. It's been "over" before.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Rocket Power was too 90's to be enjoyable even in the 90's. That shit's gonna stay buried.

Cool that they're doing a Zim special. I might watch it since my inner 14-year-old needs closure.

Nickelodeon will never euthanize FOP. There are only two things certain in life, death and Fairly Odd Parents. It's going to continue running eternally and eventually beat out Johnny Test for the world record in "largest number of episodes watched by absolutely no one."

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 26, 2017, 09:29:24 PM
Ren & Stimpy is getting a short or two for presentation with movies last I heard, so I think it's fine where it is.
This is probably the way it should've been done in the first place tbh. Some of the shorts are absolutely brilliant but most of the show is borderline-unwatchable so I think it would have done really well if released as a series of Looney Tunes-esque theatrical shorts from the beginning.

gunswordfist

Kablam! is a licensing nightmare. Different segment are/were owned by different/multiple creators. It'll never ever come back. They can't even get it rereleased (assuming it was ever released on VHS or whatever) on DVD because of that.

I'd love to see new Rocket Power, Zim and Rocko shows. Sheesh, reminds me of how little I watched Nicktoons, if not how little they have/had to offer. I guess their great live action shows helped cover their asses. Anyway, I am also on the fence on Hey Arnold! but mostly on the side of the movie being its swan song. I have a feeling that the ending of the film will make me sad and wanting more but at the same time, I'll feel like that it should be the end. Kind of like with Samurai Jack. And a part of me wants to see Angry Beavers become the new Regular Show. :>

Dr. Insomniac

I remember brainstorming an idea for an All Grown Up sequel where all the cast realize the most adventurous period of their lives was when they were 1, and they all go the path of Bojack Horseman and have a mental breakdown.

And I know how hard Hartman's been pushing for a Danny Phantom sequel (making all these videos for what the characters would look like 10 years later, offering his voice for DP fan projects, etc.), but I'm mostly interested to see the reaction in light of the recent supermarket massacre by that crazed Ember fan.

gunswordfist

Forgot to add - I remember I thought Avatar might have had a bunch more spinoffs. But even if they could, I wouldn't really want them too because they'd be dangerously close to modern times. Like I said before, I can't help but think that Avatar would be too much like a generic anime if it was set in our era. I'd prefer Bender's replacing technology over that.

Rynnec

The only thing I want out of the Invader Zim special is the planned season 2 finale. IZ would actually work well in today's climate of lore-based kids cartoons since there were plans for world building and continuity before it got canned.

Kablam! could theoretically work as a reboot, but they would need all new segments. There's no point to it if they can't keep Henry and June though.

I'd watch a Jimmy Neutron continuation if only for the inevitable episode where he meets Neil deGrasse Tyson.

AHHH!!! Real Monsters! Reboot or spiritual successor would be interesting to see, since we don't get many horror/comedy cartoons.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 27, 2017, 01:10:36 AM
Forgot to add - I remember I thought Avatar might have had a bunch more spinoffs. But even if they could, I wouldn't really want them too because they'd be dangerously close to modern times. Like I said before, I can't help but think that Avatar would be too much like a generic anime if it was set in our era. I'd prefer Bender's replacing technology over that.

It was weird seeing LoK completely emulate a 1920's aesthetic, looking back. It would work better if it had a blend of different era's instead of just one. Regardless, if Korra was any indication, I'd rather not get another Avatar series with the current writing staff.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 26, 2017, 09:29:24 PM
Ren & Stimpy is getting a short or two for presentation with movies last I heard, so I think it's fine where it is.
Really, I've been hearing conflicting things about R&S. They've shared concept art for a new short which could be attached to the third SpongeBob movie, but I've also heard that it was submitted for something else and was rejected. And there's also articles like this.

I think an R&S short or two here or there could work, but a new series or full movie sounds painful.

As for FOP, I'll believe it when I see something more official. I respect NickandMore, but it's been saved at the nth hour many times before.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

FoxKidsLover16

In my opinion, these are probably the best Nicktoons of all time

Rugrats: Loved the idea of life through a baby's perspective and I loved the different things they experienced. A lot of memorable episodes as well from Thorg to Boppo, to the chocolate pudding one to Reptar on Ice. The show did decrease in quality in the later seasons, but they were still enjoyable.

The Ren and Stimpy Show: The characters had a lot of personality and were lovable and it was an artistically beautiful show. Loved the background music and the animation was brilliant. The expressions were funny and it moved very fluidly. Also, I loved its art style, which reminded me of theatrical cartoons.

Rocko's Modern Life: This show was definitely a special show. The plots were a lot of fun with personal favorites of mine being The Lounge Singer, Sand in Your Navel, Zanzibar, and Wacky Deli. The characters were very likable and felt 3 dimensional honestly. The story arc with Filbert and Dr. Hutchison was very interesting and it flowed nicely. And I loved the satire in the show.

Hey Arnold!: I loved that the show took place in an urban city and i'm pretty sure it was the first Nicktoon to do so. It did very well with mature themes and had some great lessons. The characters were very 3 dimensional. The music was amazing and I loved that it was jazz music. And it could be funny at times. I'm excited for the upcoming Jungle Movie. Been waiting for that for a long time. Honestly, I had that feeling that it was going to happen some day.

SpongeBob SquarePants: One of the funniest cartoons ever made. I loved that it took place underwater, many quotable stuff are there, which is a reason why the show has spawned many memes, likable characters, and very fluid animation and expressions. It did decrease in quality in seasons 4 and 5, but they were still good with some amazing episodes in there. Seasons 6, 7, and 8 were for the most part, terrible. Thankfully, the show has gotten better as of recently.

Invader ZIM: This show was a masterpiece. Loved the dark humor, the characters were amazing (especially Gaz and Tak), the plots were fun, the animation was stunning, and the show had many quotable stuff. While I never really got into the Hot Topic craze of the show, I still loved the show and every episode was brilliant. Only problem for the show was, it got cancelled way too quickly.

The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: Loved the show for its awesome cast of characters (with my favorites being Hugh, Cindy, Brobot, and Sam the Candy Man). The plots were fun and sometimes weird. The villains were entertaining. The dialogue was pretty good, and the show definitely got better over time with character development (like the relationship with Jimmy and Cindy) and more interesting plots. Season 1 was still great though.

Danny Phantom: I rewatched it a few months ago and it has held up pretty well. The characters were pretty likable and I liked how some of them (like Danny and Jazz) got development as the show went on. The show really shined though when it came to the villains. The villains had so much personality and were very entertaining. My favorite of them was Ember (You will remember her name!). The action was also pretty good and Danny's powers were very good. The show wasn't as good though in season 3, but it was still enjoyable. While I did enjoy the finale, it was also pretty rushed sadly. Great show though

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The story was brilliant and very detailed. The show got better and better with season 3 (just my opinion), being the best of them. The characters had a lot of depth and could be funny. The animation was amazing with lots of detail. And the action scenes were epic and well animated.

FoxKidsLover16

Forgot to also add The Loud House to my favorites. I really like that show and I like the concept and characters a lot.