Favourite Nicktoons

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I enjoyed many Nicktoons as a kid, but nowadays I find myself disinterested in revisiting them. That said, I would say Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, Invader Zim, Avatar, and Spongebob seasons 1-5 hold up quite well and I can reliably tune in and enjoy them if they're on. Rocko is incredibly rewarding to watch as an adult for all the risque jokes and cultural satire that flies over your head as a kid. Hey Arnold has a great cast of characters and many memorable, emotionally poignant episodes, and the conflicted dichotomy of Helga's feelings for Arnold is always captivating. Invader Zim is fun just for its dark premises and humor. Avatar is one of the most interesting worlds and mythologies in a western action cartoon, and has some good themes and character arcs it explores during its run alongside great action choreography, backgrounds, and animation. And Spongebob at its peak was hands down the funniest and most joyfully creative cartoon Nick ever had, which is why its so depressing that it became the soulless husk it is today. I also have a lot of nostalgia for My Life as a Teenage Robot as well, mainly for its unique character designs, the Sheldon-Jenny relationship, and the character of Jenny herself, but I haven't seen it in a while so I don't know if it actually holds up. For newer stuff, I really enjoyed Harvey Beaks and I do like The Loud House, but even with those shows I don't like them enough to keep up with them and catch every episode like I do with CN shows like Steven Universe and OK K.O..

FoxKidsLover16

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on August 19, 2017, 10:08:45 AM
I enjoyed many Nicktoons as a kid, but nowadays I find myself disinterested in revisiting them. That said, I would say Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, Invader Zim, Avatar, and Spongebob seasons 1-5 hold up quite well and I can reliably tune in and enjoy them if they're on. Rocko is incredibly rewarding to watch as an adult for all the risque jokes and cultural satire that flies over your head as a kid. Hey Arnold has a great cast of characters and many memorable, emotionally poignant episodes, and the conflicted dichotomy of Helga's feelings for Arnold is always captivating. Invader Zim is fun just for its dark premises and humor. Avatar is one of the most interesting worlds and mythologies in a western action cartoon, and has some good themes and character arcs it explores during its run alongside great action choreography, backgrounds, and animation. And Spongebob at its peak was hands down the funniest and most joyfully creative cartoon Nick ever had, which is why its so depressing that it became the soulless husk it is today. I also have a lot of nostalgia for My Life as a Teenage Robot as well, mainly for its unique character designs, the Sheldon-Jenny relationship, and the character of Jenny herself, but I haven't seen it in a while so I don't know if it actually holds up. For newer stuff, I really enjoyed Harvey Beaks and I do like The Loud House, but even with those shows I don't like them enough to keep up with them and catch every episode like I do with CN shows like Steven Universe and OK K.O..

If you have the time, I recommend The Ren and Stimpy Show. There's a reason why people who didn't really watch much Nickelodeon really liked the show. It was very funny and it's one of the most artistic cartoons of all time. The animation moves very fluidly, the art style was beautiful and resembled the classic theatrical cartoons, the music and sound effects were brilliant. The characters were also lovable and interesting. It was definitely one of the most popular Nicktoons of the 90s. Episodes that are amazing are ones like

Space Madness
Stimpy's Invention
Son of Stimpy
The Great Outdoors
Dog Show
Untamed World
Fire Dogs
The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen
Stimpy's Cartoon Show
Stimpy's Big Day/The Big Shot

Avaitor

Ren & Stimpy isn't too consistent to me, but I really do love some of it.

I was able to catch The Splat's reairing of the first SNICK lineup, and caught "Ren's Toothache"/"Rubber Nipple Salesman". The former's a bit sick, definitely not an episode for those who aren't a fan of the show's grossest material, but I think it's funny. I still wince when Ren plucks the nerves from his teeth out. And the latter is crazy as all hell, but cracks me up from start to finish each time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on August 19, 2017, 10:08:45 AM
Those are definitely the shows I want to re-explore the most from Nick.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on July 26, 2017, 08:41:45 PM
My Life as a Teenage Robot- Meh, I don't think there's a big demand for it. I always felt that this one came off as a little dated, premiering a few years after Dexter's Lab and PPG's heyday but still crypting their UPA-influenced style. But it d
So, uh, I might have been wrong about this one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

How I felt when Xiaolin Shodown got rebooted.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Peanutbutter

They tricked me into thinking they were going to play it straight, job well done Anon!