Prog

Started by Lord Dalek, July 15, 2011, 08:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Yeah I'm a bit of a whore for a little of the old progressive rock and roll. And this forum therefore needs a thread where I casually throw out a controversial and not well thought out statement like Larks Tongues in Aspic as KC's best album.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't have the greatest knowledge on the genre, but I'm always eager to expand my musical horizon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Prog is beautiful when done well. I wish there were more good progressive bands out there that don't add unnecessary metal influences or try to sound like the second coming of Pink Floyd, though. Spock's Beard is one of the few noteworthy bands around today that I can think of, and even they I haven't been keeping up with.

That's not to say that I don't like prog metal bands, however. Fate's Warning, Opeth, Obscura, and I guess technically Death, Atheist and Cynic are all among my favorites.

But nothing can top the scene in the late 60's-mid 70's. Too many great artists to mention.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Am I the only one who's not really a fan of Pink Floyd?  I like some of their songs; "Run Like Hell" remains a favorite, but I'm finding that as with AC/DC, I've become extremely bored with a vast majority of their music.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

And just to bump this back, I'll try a list for prog.

10- Marillion
9- Premiata Forneria Marconi
8- Genesis
7- Van der Graaf Generator
6- Can
5- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
4- Caravan
3- Pink Floyd
2- Yes
1- King Crimson

And I made this while listening to KISS.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

I see your list and offer this...

10. Genesis ("Trespass" through "Duke")
09. Soft Machine
08. Floyd (I love em but they're a little overrated)
07. Van der Graaf Generator
06. Camel
05. Arthur Brown
04. Jethro Tull
03. Rush (seriously man)
02. Yes
01. King Crimson (except for the Gordon and Boz years, ugh)

Avaitor

Rush has such a weird run overall. First they started off as a hard rock act, then they went into the prog stuff, then they went synth, and after a while tarted to combine their synth hooks with their hard rock roots.

Their prog stuff is great, no question, but lasted a lot shorter than you realize until you put their entire discography into perspective that it's hard to consider them a progressive band. Although I guess you could swap out Genesis for them, since they also ventured out of that spectrum.

Most of your choices that we don't share were ones I considered adding, but went against. Soft Machine in particular was pretty close to getting in.

As for Floyd, eh, they get a bit of an advantage for being the most recognizable band in the progressive landscape, and they have a fair share of masterpieces.

You can just stop after WYWH, though. It's not that they completely stopped being progressive after that point (The Wall aside), but their work after that just started getting increasingly boring.

New blog!