The Walking Dead

Started by ToonFaithful, July 18, 2011, 03:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToonFaithful

Did anyone watch this show when it aired last year on AMC's FearFest? Season 2 is coming out this October and a sneek peak aired during Breaking Bad last night. At first, I had no idea what I'd expect from the show. I only knew about the comics a couple weeks before it premiered but boy, was this show good. It's nothing like zombie movies these days(Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, etc.). The zombies are surprisingly smart in the show and the characters...some of the characters are easy to admire. Great, great show.

Avaitor

I tried getting into it, but the pacing was slow as molasses and I didn't like any of the humans at all. I don't think I even saw the last episode.

I hear that the comics are different, and better, so I might check those out sometime soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Angus

Yep, fun series. I watched the show first then went to the bookstore&library and read the first two volumes.

The series premiere is excellent and is close to the comic version with some extra drama.
Second episode is a good compelling watch, but starts to diverge in the details.
Middle episodes get a bit slow with not as much zombie action mid-episode. They tried hard to be like Lost but without the strong backstories, not like the comic goes much deeper but hey.
The sixth episode is rather bad, clearly Hollywood writers have taken over with a generic action plot; I'd rather have it be how the comic ended Volume 1.

If you follow anime shows, you might find Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 a funny parallel.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

In the show maybe but not in the comic.

Anyway, I lost the channel after the secret lab or whatever episode. The show was really losing me but I would have watched it just to compare it to the comic.

The Walking Dead is the greatest comic book series of today and the best zombie storyline, imo.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Angus

There's some show called Death Valley that's being promoted on MTV. It's a bit like Reno 911 meets The Walking Dead, but with half the humor and drama that makes those series watchable.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

talonmalon333

How come people don't like it? I think it's great. Lots of suspense.

Avaitor

Slow as shit and no likable characters.

Granted, I haven't seen season 2, but I don't care enough to.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on November 03, 2011, 04:18:30 PM
Slow as shit and no likable characters.

Granted, I haven't seen season 2, but I don't care enough to.
:D I have AMC for at least a month and I'm such a fan of the comic that I'll try to watch it anyway.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I'll say this. The second season has been way better than the first.

Angus

oh, that's good to know. I should probably watch what I can before it gets nuked on the DVR.

Daikun