The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

I barely even remember promotion for Zack and Wiki. Hell, I don't even remembering that game existing until I saw one guy's review on it and he said it was a pretty decent game, and then proceeding to find the game at a GameStop later at a discounted price. I will admit that it was a miracle that TvC even came over, considering I didn't even know who half the Tatsunoko side was until the game came out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember a time when Capcom used to be a symbol of quality, releasing great games and weren't afraid to release niche titles or more unique games, which only added to the companies great reputation back in the day. I wish that Capcom was still alive, because as far as I'm concerened that Capcom was a totally different company than this current one of the same name, and it died out years ago. The company that makes horrendous decisions like these now can't possibly be considered to be the same one. Honestly, I'm quite baffled.

I haven't played that many MM games myself (though I do love what I have played of the franchise), but I always respected the series and wanted to get into it some more. Also, I can safely say that even in this day and age MM had a very healthy fan-base and the games sold quite well for the most part. Hell, I'm willing to bet that had MML3 actually been released, it would have pretty good sales from fans who wanted to support the series, alone.

So, just to clarify: The games that fans of Capcom hate and won't spend money for get green-lit for release, however the game that many Capcom fans would gladly support on day 1 release gets canned. Fucking brilliant. :anger:

What I find to be even more sad is that Capcom decided to scrap this game, yet games like Residen Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and the new DmC reboot which tons of fans downright hate on and probably won't buy are perfectly OK to release. Honestly, is there any conceivably possible way that anyone can make ANY sense out of that logic?

Spark Of Spirit

Resident Evil Raccoon City. DmC. Dragon's Dogma. Asura's Wrath.

This is what Capcom is making now, generic wannabe western games, and I want no part of it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Asura's Wrath is one of those games where I want to like it, but I just..can't. The seeming overusage of QTE's is one of them.

Spark Of Spirit

It's nothing but a God Of War clone and it looks janky as fuck. Capcom used to be one of the best developers of action games, and it's like they completely forgot how to make them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

To be fair, I understood the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 thing. The Wii got Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the PS3/360 didn't, so they got Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Everything else there is bullshit though. Though, to be honest, I'm pretty sure Zack & Wiki would have bombed even if it was marketed.

Spark Of Spirit

Of course it would have bombed. The game was a niche point and click style adventure game. It was irresponsible of them to put so much faith in the game.

A smart test would have been a MML1 and 2 remake with Wii pointer controls. You know, something somewhat similar to a genre that sells well.

Also, the Wii could have also gotten Street Fighter IV in some form and never did. I guess its power can't stack up to the glory of the i-devices... Or the 3DS, apparently.

Foggle

Raccoon City and DmC aren't just wannabe western games... they are western games. One was outsourced to the SOCOM team while the other was sent to Ninja Theory.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on July 18, 2011, 09:51:17 PM
Some of the folks on Tvtropes have actually made a list of terrible decisions Capcom has made over the years.

So far they got:

MML 3 canceled
Megaman Universe canceled
Irrational hatred of all fighting games not featuring Ryu
-
Mercenaries debacle
Terrible DMC reboot
No export for the new Monster Hunter
AAI 2 canceled (no idea what AAI 2 is an acronym for)
Screwing over Clover Studios (effectevly leaving the Viewtiful Joe games 1 short)
The Wii "tests"

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I may have to consider getting Super Street Fighter IV used at this rate. Ultimate MVC3 will already have to do some heavy convincing to get me to spend my money.
They are doing Ultimate MVC3, huh? If it has Ken in it, day 1 buy. If not add "Only having Ken Masters in main Street Fighter game"

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 18, 2011, 10:31:02 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on July 18, 2011, 09:51:17 PM
Some of the folks on Tvtropes have actually made a list of terrible decisions Capcom has made over the years.

So far they got:

MML 3 canceled
Megaman Universe canceled
Irrational hatred of all fighting games not featuring Ryu
-
Mercenaries debacle
Terrible DMC reboot
No export for the new Monster Hunter
AAI 2 canceled (no idea what AAI 2 is an acronym for)
Screwing over Clover Studios (effectevly leaving the Viewtiful Joe games 1 short)

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I may have to consider getting Super Street Fighter IV used at this rate. Ultimate MVC3 will already have to do some heavy convincing to get me to spend my money.
It's Ace Attorney Investigations 2. It's the last game in the sub series, and is very important story-wise for future titles.

I'm getting Layton Vs. Phoenix because Level 5 is making it, bu I'm sure as hell never buying a Capcom game new ever again. Also, you should add "Wii's tests" to the list. The #1 thing that pissed me off about Capcom this gen up to this point.

I'm also pissed off at them for killing the Maximo studio while they were making the third game.
Damn, looks like there's completely no chance of Capcom making any more good hack n slashers

Spark Of Spirit

CapcomEuro's Twitter

Quote@kdawg3000 it's a shame the fans didn't want to get more involved :( if we saw there was an audience for MML3 people might change minds

Yep, I'm done with Capcom. when you have to result in blaming the fans who support your games, you can go suck a dick.

Kiddington

:whuh:

Yeah, I've got nothing. That's just cop-out bullshit.

Foggle

Maybe if they released the Prototype - which was finished - like they said they were going to, fans could have shown their appreciation better. THINK, CAPCOM. THINK.

Rynnec

Quote@kdawg3000 it's a shame the fans didn't want to get more involved  if we saw there was an audience for MML3 people might change minds