The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

The final update to Resident Evil 7's demo has made me trust Capcom to deliver a quality product again. (Yes, it does include combat - melee and shooting - and puzzles, including some Silent Hill 3 on Hard mode-esque shit). I want DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma 2 ASAP.

Peanutbutter

Good to hear about RE7. VR isn't going to be required with that one though, is it?

Anyway, Capcom has at least tried to show they aren't Konami by listening to criticism as opposed to just dumping their franchises outright.

gunswordfist

I always, "That's right, Capcom isn't Konami."
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Mustang

They still make it hard to trust them considering how they're handling Street Fighter 5 (If these changes are true, man, killing the fun I've been having with the game).
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Mustang

Something's going on at Capcom. Peter Rosas (Combofiend) leaving Capcom. At least in terms with the fighting game division.

I think it was about a week or 2 ago the Capcom rep in Europe announced that he was leaving.

I know I heard rumors of Capcom maybe closing up shop, but I won't believe that until I see it, especially with a big game like Monster Hunter World coming out.

Seeing Peter leave has me a little worried and a lot more angry towards the FGC. I get that he didn't make it easy because there was barely any communication as the community rep (and then the character/function fiasco poured more salt), but to see how so many people turned on him because he worked at Capcom (even though he started out as a tourney player), almost makes me wish the community would die. I seem to recall another worker that was a tourney player quit the fgc altogether and went to Dota and LoL. I wouldn't be surprised to see Peter do the same thing.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Peanutbutter

So now that Capcom has FINALLY ended whatever weird embargo Mega Man was under, and have started doing better like RE7 and Devil May Cry 5 coming soon; is it now time to rename this thread? Like, The Fall and Rise of Capcom or something?

Spark Of Spirit

It does feel like they are finally beginning to right the ship. Refocusing their core franchises again is a good start. I'll have to wait to see how it turns out, but it is a good sign that they're starting to give the fans what they want again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Peanutbutter on December 04, 2017, 01:49:09 PMSo now that Capcom has FINALLY ended whatever weird embargo Mega Man was under, and have started doing better like RE7 and Devil May Cry 5 coming soon; is it now time to rename this thread? Like, The Fall and Rise of Capcom or something?

Just one correction there: DMC5 is still a rumor at this point. There has been no official confirmation by either Itsuno or any Capcom representative of it being a current title in development. While it's a definite possibility, it was also rumored to be announced at E3 2016 and then again at E3 2017, both of which proved to be false, so I'm not holding out any hope here until it actually gets a definitive reveal.

Spark Of Spirit

After the dumb decisions they've made in regards to Nintendo over the last few years, this is quite odd. It continues my theory that something big has happened internally.

As for what I want: Strider and the Disney Afternoon Collection. There aren't many recent Capcom games I'd care enough to have, but those two are the big ones.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 13, 2017, 05:06:49 PM
After the dumb decisions they've made in regards to Nintendo over the last few years, this is quite odd. It continues my theory that something big has happened internally.

As for what I want: Strider and the Disney Afternoon Collection. There aren't many recent Capcom games I'd care enough to have, but those two are the big ones.

Have they had any recent changes in management? Because that would explain it. Whatever it is, thank goodness something has helped them turn the corner!

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 04, 2017, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on December 04, 2017, 01:49:09 PMSo now that Capcom has FINALLY ended whatever weird embargo Mega Man was under, and have started doing better like RE7 and Devil May Cry 5 coming soon; is it now time to rename this thread? Like, The Fall and Rise of Capcom or something?

Just one correction there: DMC5 is still a rumor at this point. There has been no official confirmation by either Itsuno or any Capcom representative of it being a current title in development. While it's a definite possibility, it was also rumored to be announced at E3 2016 and then again at E3 2017, both of which proved to be false, so I'm not holding out any hope here until it actually gets a definitive reveal.

So what do you think now with today's news?  :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Resident Evil 2 Remake, Mega Man 11, and Devil May Cry 5, are all great announcements for this year... with the niggling issue being they should have been announced years ago.

But hey, if Capcom wants to make up and pretend the last 8 years didn't happen then who am I to judge?

Rynnec

I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting these things because of the last 8 years. It's amazing that it took them this long to realize how much they fucked up (not really), but at least they're doing  something to make amends unlike certain other companies who shall remain unnamed in this thread.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, with all of the high-profile Samurai games being announced at this year's E3, I wonder if some Capcom exec is maybe getting the glimmer of an idea to revive Onimusha.

Well, it is Capcom after all, so it may take them about another eight years just to realize the hint.