Daria

Started by Avaitor, July 20, 2011, 01:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I didn't make a topic for this show yet?

I think this set describes the show pretty well.

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

By far, the best thing that MTV's ever done. IMO, I'd say it's also 20x better than Beavis and Butt-head ever was (and this coming from a guy who likes that show).

I bought the Complete Series DVD about a month ago, and I've been loving every minute of it. I really don't notice the lack of original/licensed music too much; the replacement tracks aren't quite the same, but they get the job done. The show is just as brilliant as ever, though, and for a late 90's/early 00's series, really doesn't date itself at all.

...and just remember; I will kill you, and bury your body in this dress.

Commode

Aside from a few random episodes here and there months and months ago, I have yet to touch the Complete Series DVD.  It's been on my viewing list for some time, but to be fair it was back at home while I wasn't until very recently.  I have the set out here with me now, so I should be able to crack into it soon.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Hmm...

I already have the DVD, so this doesn't mean much for me, but if anyone's interested... well, be on the lookout, I guess.

Avaitor

It'd be cool to see some episodes with their original music again, but yeah, I own the DVD too.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Holy bump!

But here's a thought- so in the Is It Fall Yet? movie, the girl that tried to wine and dine Jane has to be at least 21, right? And unless she repeated a grade and I forgot about it, Jane couldn't be any older than 17 at the time. That's pretty creepy, huh? So it makes sense that The N cut this storyline entirely out of the movie.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I don't remember Allison's exact age ever being said, but definitely she was older than 18 so, yeah, she was trying to sleep with a minor so it's easy to see why The N, which was aimed towards a slightly younger audience than MTV, would cut it out.

Skeeter Valentine

I don't think it's all that creepy.

Considering how aggressively pro-gay everything has become since then, if TEENick or whoever reruns the show I fully expect it to run uncut.

Avaitor

It's not the gayness that's creepy, it's that Allison has to be at least 21, since she was able to order wine, and Jane was clearly still a minor.

And I dunno, The N was always looking for stuff to cut from the show when they aired it, so usually the most object-able stuff went. I don't think most people who watched the show cared, but that does seem like the easiest thing to cut and avoid angry letters from parents for. Nowadays, yeah, I would hope that they'd air it uncut.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Whoa, I love Henry & Glenn Forever!

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Skeeter Valentine on June 02, 2014, 05:31:54 AMConsidering how aggressively pro-gay everything has become since then
Aggressively? Frankly- until we can see a Burger King commercial come without a good 3 or 4 guys looking like being asked if they want a rainbow-wrapped burger is the same as being propositioned for anal sex... Things aren't nearly aggressive enough.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

"Lucky Strike" might just be my favorite episode of the show. The substitute teacher for DeMartino alone makes it.

"You're the smartest- and biggest- first graders I've ever had!"

"That [Daria] sounds like a hippie name. I think I'll call you Darlene."

"Boys with bad posture don't get gold stars. And QB, it's not nice to trick the teacher by writing your name as Kevin."

New blog!

Daikun

MTV is rebooting it.

QuoteFor its reboot of Daria, MTV Studios announced that the show would tentatively be titled Daria and Jodie to reflect its new focus not just on the original eponymous heroine, but also her friend Jodie Landon. Per a description of the show, "These two smart young women take on the world, with their signature satirical voice while deconstructing popular culture, social classes, gender and race."

It's unclear if Daria and Jodie will be a full reimagining of the original series set at Lawndale High, or if it will catch up with Daria and Jodie in college or young adult life. Daria and Jodie will be helmed by Grace Edwards, who has written for Inside Amy Schumer, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and more.

Avaitor

So I don't really want a reboot, as there are certain charms to the original series that were relevant to its time that I'm not sure could be replicated today. Or rather, I don't see why we need to bring Daria back into present times. But I'm also not super hot on a revival, since the show had a good ending and I can't think of what else needs to be done for the characters right after, or if we need to see them twenty years on.

That said, I actually like the idea of focusing on Jodie, who I always felt was under-appreciated as a character. It's a different way to do it, and it might help give a new perspective in whatever direction they go for.

New blog!