Webcomics

Started by Dr. Insomniac, July 26, 2011, 08:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

With DC fucking up recently, and cries that the 90s seem to be coming back for graphic novels, it seems that the internet has become the refuge for finding creative comics again.

In short, tell us what you read on the interwub.

Foggle

Platinum Grit is fucking great, and the only webcomic I really give much of a shit about. The humor is witty, sarcastic, and usually mature; the characters and plot are layered, interesting, and likable. The art is great, too. Only problem is that it takes the author about 6 months to a year to release a new chapter and she's currently on a Togashi-level hiatus. There's only 20 chapters, so it shouldn't take you more than 4-5 hours to read through the archive, but you really, really should.

Gunshow and Penny Arcade are consistently funny, though you'd probably only like the latter if you were into video games.

Oglaf is another favorite, and it's written and drawn by the same person as Platinum Grit, but I'd recommend not reading it around your family. About half the strips are very NSFW, but it's all extremely funny.

Spark Of Spirit

I used to like Penny Arcade. The art got grotesque and the humor too obscure in execution for my tastes. I actually don't read many webcomics at all anymore, though I used to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Platypus Comix

Eh, why not? Pete's always complaining that nobody ever reads and/or promotes his site, so heeeeerrrrreeeee I gooooo.  :awesome:

...anyway, we all know him by now; he's the guy from TZ, and he's... well, you know. Still though, he runs a pretty fun website. The comics are good (Mulberry's my favorite, Keiki and EW are also pretty good, although I don't much care for that Princess Pi stuff he's been pushing the last few months), but probably the various articles are where it really shines. Video games, music, classic TV, and even the contents of a trashcan from Portland's largest bookstore; there is a LOT of material to read through here, and it's all the more entertaining.

On the comic end, I'd recommend Mulberry; it's by far his best work. The artwork is decent, and the humor is right up my alley; never fails to make me laugh. Go ahead and give it a whirl.  :happytime:

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Does Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff count?

It's the only webcomic I've been following in the last few years. It's so absurd and ridiculously bad that it becomes completely hilarious at face value.

Foggle

Dat awful feel when your favorite webcomic (and, consequently, second favorite comic in general) hasn't been updated since 2009. WHERE IS THE TIME GOING

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 26, 2011, 09:09:55 PM
I used to like Penny Arcade. The art got grotesque and the humor too obscure in execution for my tastes. I actually don't read many webcomics at all anymore, though I used to.
Yeah, it's gotten horribad. Also, I have come to realize that the people who make it are fuckwads. So I don't read it anymore.

Mr. Big

Honestly I don't read that many webcomics.

That said, I still pay attention to Kevin and Kell, one of the oldest webcomics around (it started in 1995 and STILL RUNNING). The cartoonist also does two other comic strips for newspapers, so he does three daily strips at the same time.

Also, Heavenly Nostrils by Dana Simpson. Some of you may remember "Ozy and Millie" back when the creator was known as David (she's a MTF transsexual).

Dr. Insomniac

I've been reading Shortpacked for some reason, mostly because it just clicks when it wants to.

Daikun

I LOVE webcomics! They're one of my favorite hobbies on the Internet!

I tend to avoid most gaming webcomics; they tend to feel very same-y with their humor. And Penny Arcade is an anomaly that I'll never understand how it got popular in the first place. I didn't even like it when I tried to read it years ago. Most of my favorite webcomics fall more toward the fantasy genre, anyway.

As for good stuff...

Happle Tea is worth checking out. It's a gag-a-day strip which makes fun of all forms of mythology.

Romantically Apocalyptic is a lighthearted, comical take on the post-apocalyptic setting, and the artwork is gooooooooooorgeous. :swoon:

Nel_Annette

While I agree that Alexius or however you spell his name is a great artist, I can't stand RA. Stopped paying attention to his DeviantArt gallery and journals once he started piling it on with that ZEE CAPTAIN! crap. I just like the post-apocalyptic pics he makes.

Daikun

Micki!

I shared this with some of the folks here on Skype, and it turned out to be pretty popular for how simple it is:

Pandyland's Random Comic generator

Click generate, and you will get 3 panels of a surprisingly large variety of different panels and combinations, it's often hit and miss, but you'll sometimes get some gold pieces out of this, and laugh out loud over the randomness and paradoxical logic it creates at times  ;D
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Daikun

I just discovered Let's Speak English last night. It's an autobiographical webcomic about an elementary school teacher in Japan teaching English to her students.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on August 25, 2014, 07:35:18 PM
I just discovered Let's Speak English last night. It's an autobiographical webcomic about an elementary school teacher in Japan teaching English to her students.

Just browsed through the archive. Pretty fun stuff. I'll make sure to keep up with this one.

Pharass

There are several webcomics I enjoy and read regularly. Here are a few that I'd recommend:

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton is always good for a laugh. I'm also a fan of Beaton's artstyle, it might not look that special at a quick glance, but it's definitely an example of less is more. I especially enjoy the way she draws facial-expressions.

SPQR Blues by Klio, is a serialized comic set in ancient Rome during the reign of emperor Titus. Very well-written with strong plots and characters and good artwork. Unfortunately, it doesn't update regularly, but there's enough in the archive to keep a new reader busy for some time (depending on how fast they read).

Last but not least; although it wasn't a webcomic originally, I'd be remiss not to mention The Desert Peach by Donna Barr, about the adventures of Pfirsich Rommel. the fictional younger brother of Erwin Rommel and his battalion of misfits stationed in North Africa. Well-developed characters and a great mix between comedy and genuine drama makes this a comic that I'd recommend to everybody, regardless of whether they are interested in WW2 or not.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.