Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 27, 2011, 05:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I just remember how stale 2003 could be.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 03, 2012, 06:26:08 AM
I just remember how stale 2003 could be.
I just remember how cheesy the original could be. :srs:

Goldstar

'Twas all right. The pilot wasn't as silly as the 1987 TMNT became, nor was it as hardcore action oriented as the 2K3 version was. It was more of a happy medium between the 2.

My complaints (more nitpicks, honestly):

-Rob Paulsen (Rapahel's VA from the 87 series) voicing Donatello will take some getting used to.
-Don having an inner species crush on a teenage April O'Neil? Yuck!
-The Alien race's name being changed to "The Kraang" with 2 'A's. Nice nod to the 87 series, but the extra 'A' seems unnecessary.
-April becomes the latest teenage heroine with a kidnapped father and no mother (again, I say "Yuck!") Did we really need the whole "They kidnapped my father" backstory to introduce April into the series? It's just such a cliche.

The CGI animation was OK. Again, a nice mix of goofy and serious. This new show isn't something that I'd go out of my way to watch, but it seems like a good alternative to what else is on.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Goldstar on October 03, 2012, 08:07:17 AM
but it seems like a good alternative to what else is on.
Young Justice and GLTAS not doing it for you?

Goldstar

I watch them all. TMNT airs at 11 AM (EST), after DC Nation.

Kiddington

Spark Of Spirit

Thankfully this so far doesn't seem to be at either extreme of serious or comedic and finds a good middle ground.

Quote from: Goldstar on October 03, 2012, 11:53:38 AM
I watch them all. TMNT airs at 11 AM (EST), after DC Nation.
Yeah, it's on at a good time. If they could put Korra on after it that would be quite a good morning block.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Also I should mention that this has already been renewed for a second season. So the show will run for at least 52 episodes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

^ Heard that recently too, which to me is awesome news. As long as the rest of this season keeps up a good balance it should have no problem standing out from the previous two TMNT incarnations.

Silverstar

Quote from: Goldstar on October 03, 2012, 08:07:17 AM-Don having an inner species crush on a teenage April O'Neil? Yuck!

I wouldn't worry about it; it'll more than likely be completely one-sided. It's not like April and Don are going to get married and have a bunch of mutant babies or anything.

I'm still not sure how I feel about April being a kid on this show, but I do like teenage April's design. We'll just have to see how this idea pans out.

I like how the show seems to be a happy medium the between 1987 and 2003 version. Raphael in particular seems to be a mix of the wisecracking, sarcastic 80's version and the hotheaded '03 version, but without the major psychological issues that the movie versions had. I also like how they actually made Leonardo funny this time around, since he's always traditionally been the stiffest and least entertaining Turtle.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm... enjoying this show way more than I thought I would.

I mean, it's still early and they could mess it up- but as it is right now I think it's really fun.

Avaitor

Nick turned its animation studio into a haunted house today, and the TMNT room by far looked the coolest.

You can find some of their other rooms in there. Surprisingly, they didn't seem to make a SpongeBob room, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grave

I'm checking this new TMNT out, and while it's not the 2003 series (I'm fond of the action until they brought in the dino's and aliens) there is a nice little charm to it.  The goofiness it brings can be corny, but it made me chuckle a bit.

Question, the dog/cat thingy, is that the same v/a that did the big guy in the 2003 series?

Silverstar

Speaking of TMNT, I've noticed that lately during The Hub's ads for their HuBoom! action block, they've started subliminally inserting silent clips of Saban's Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. I checked around and sure enough, The Hub has started airing Next Mutation on HuBoom! at 1:30 PM starting Jan. 12th, though they haven't announced anything as of yet. I can't imagine why they'd want to air that, except that the Turtles are a hot property right now due to the Nickelodeon show and Next Mutation was probably the only TMNT show that The Hub could afford to acquire. They probably got it for a song since Next Mutation hasn't been seen anywhere since it's initial run on Fox Kids in 1997 through 1998, and let's face it, the show isn't exactly in high demand.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

These are some interesting programming choices that The Hub has been making as of late: the worst Superman movie, the worst Batman movie and now the worst TMNT series. At this rate, they'll start showing Saban's Masked Rider next. The Hub's only good choice is Animaniacs, and I already have that show on DVD.