Batman: The Animated Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 12, 2012, 11:58:33 PM
All this talk about these 2 animated Batman movies really makes me want to write-up a review feature for them. I haven't done one in a while, so maybe I'll do a short write-up tomorrow expressing why I think that these are 2 of the best Batman movies ever, even when taking Nolan's TDK into consideration.

I actually kind of agree with that opinion. MotP and RotJ might be my favorites, with TDK either slightly behind or equal to them.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 12, 2012, 11:58:33 PM
Yeah, while Batman Beyond as a whole could never really measure up to its predecessor BTAS in terms of overall greatness, I do think that Return of the Joker as a feature in and of itself was one of the best things to come out of the entire DCAU, and in that regard I would say that its on par with the best features of BTAS, including MOTP, of course.

Makes sense. BTAS is arguably the best series in the DCAU. And RotJ is equal to MotP, which is part of said series. ;)

talonmalon333

So I finally saw Sub Zero, and I think it was great. I really loved that final moment of the show. But I think this makes me dislike his appearance in the New Adventures even more. :P

As much as I liked his Batman Beyond episode, part of me think it would've been better for Sub Zero to be his final appearance.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the BB episode would have worked great still even directly after Sub Zero. It was really just that TNBA episode that spoiled the punch a bit.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 11, 2012, 11:20:35 PM
I think the BB episode would have worked great still even directly after Sub Zero. It was really just that TNBA episode that spoiled the punch a bit.

I can agree with that. I didn't really like that TNBA episode, and basically making him a spider was just weird.

hobbyfan

One of the better ones was when Selina was turned into a more literal Catwoman in a homage to HG Wells' Island of Dr. Moreau. It's a shame I've never seen it in its entirety.

Problem was, I felt it was wrong to leave Selina as a blonde (because of Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns). Then again, I'm partial to brunettes anyway. The other mistake was making Zatanna a 1-shot. They hinted she was one of Bruce's childhood sweethearts? Blew me away.

And they ended the series a wee bit too soon, IMPO. Don't know about the rest of y'all, but it could've stood an extra year or three with the original designs.

The Shadow Gentleman

I picked up Subzero for a few dollars for Target recently. It's really just an extra long  episode (probably could have been a two parter), but since this is Batman: TAS, that's not a bad thing. It's a very touching ending for Freeze's character.

talonmalon333

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 26, 2013, 03:12:42 PM
I picked up Subzero for a few dollars for Target recently. It's really just an extra long  episode (probably could have been a two parter), but since this is Batman: TAS, that's not a bad thing. It's a very touching ending for Freeze's character.

Yeah, as a long episode, it's quite good. There's a part of me that kind of thinks Freeze's story arc should've just ended there.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 26, 2013, 03:23:13 PM
Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 26, 2013, 03:12:42 PM

Yeah, as a long episode, it's quite good. There's a part of me that kind of thinks Freeze's story arc should've just ended there.
I think of the Batman Beyond episode as more of an epilogue to the story. Because when you meet him initially he's not really a bad guy until we learn that the future is not all that different from the past.

Now the last appearance in the old series? Yes, that was a terrible waste.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 27, 2013, 12:03:42 PMI think of the Batman Beyond episode as more of an epilogue to the story. Because when you meet him initially he's not really a bad guy until we learn that the future is not all that different from the past.

I quite like that episode, but there's a part of me that still thinks Sub Zero would've been a better ending for him. That BB episode was quite sad, and Freeze has put up with enough of that. :P

Avaitor

What do you guys think about "Robin's Reckoning"?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

A great episode. I really like how they handled Bruce and Dick's relationship. Probably the best two part behind Two Face.

Spark Of Spirit

It was one of the first episodes (yes, it's a two parter I know) I saw because it was one of the few released in Canada, and I really liked it. Definitely one of the top moments in BTAS.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'd have to say that it was Dick's shining moment in TAS, myself. Easily among my favorites.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Funny, I'm actually watching "Robin's Reckoning" now, and I noticed something interesting- when Tony Zucco's aliases show up on the giant computer in the Batcave, a very recognizable one in particular shows up.

Apparently he went by Sid the Squid, as well. Doesn't that make you think of another episode in a different way?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Maybe that's why some of the thugs accepted him so easily. Because they mixed him up with the alias of another criminal and he copped some of his rep.

I wonder sometimes if there's an actual Matches Malone out there getting jumped for things he didn't do.