Album Of The Year

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 31, 2011, 05:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

One of the tracks from the new That Handsome Devil album was just released. At the bottom of the page, press Play on The U & I In Suicide. It's fucking insane and flip-flops genres multiple times throughout. Good stuff; can't wait for the full CD.

Foggle

Just got done listening to The Heart Goes To Heaven, The Head Goes To Hell (That Handsome Devil's new album), as well as a bunch of rare/unreleased songs they sent me for donating money to pre-order the CD.

It's just excellent, in every way. All the tracks are either groovy, beautiful, or both. The standouts are definitely Adapt, Twist The Knife, Charlie's Inferno, and Inside You, but they're all amazing. The lyrics are as well-written as the music is listenable, and the whole thing just oozes intelligence and style. It's dark stuff, though; MUCH more so than their previous releases, which already had some pretty unsettling subject matter. The titles are pretty eye-catching, as well, featuring such gems as The U & I In Suicide, Karmakaze, and My Pen Is A Shiv.

Listen to Charlie's Inferno if you need any further proof that this is an awesome record. But please buy this album instead of listening to it on YouTube if at all possible; support this great music and talented band!!

Spark Of Spirit

For some reason, every time you post about this band this song pops into my head... I don't know how they're related, but it always seems to happen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Good shit! Mad Caddies are great, but I've never really gotten around to listening to more than a few of their songs. It's been at least 7 years since I first took a liking to 'em, so I really better get on that...

The rare and unreleased songs I got with my pre-order are fucking brilliant, too. Chicken Claw instantly became my favorite hip-hop track of all time while Marilyn Loves Heroin easily slid into my top 10. Their cover of Talk Dirty To Me is also absolutely perfect and at least 10 times better than the original (not that it's difficult to be better than Poison) and their rendition of I'm Too Sexy is good for some laughs while actually being pretty damn catchy.

azureskies

Quote from: Avaitor on July 31, 2011, 07:32:58 PM
4- Ghost- Opus Eponymous

I love Ghost, but that album came out in 2010. :P

Time for my 2 cents, I guess. Nothing is in a particular order.

Septic Flesh - The Great Mass

Okay, it's Septic Flesh and I'm a huge Septic Flesh fangirl by default. The orchestrations are superb, as always, and the music remains pretty memorable (especially the first half of the album). The only complaint I would have is that it isn't as riff-oriented as their earlier works, but hey, it's Septic Flesh.

"The Vampire from Nazareth"

Jungle Rot - Kill On Command

Jungle Rot's straightforward style of death metal is something I can't resist. I just want to be a stereotypical metalhead while listening to it; headbanging, moshing, describing it as "crushing," "heavy," and/or "brutal." I love albums that make me feel that way. Plus, those riffs!

"Their Finest Hour"

Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

I think he's god no matter what, but I always liked the extremeness Strapping Young Lad more than anything he's done. Glad to see him return to that side for a bit.

"Poltergeist"

Some honourable mentions include Surtur Rising, by Amon Amarth and Ghost, also by the Devin Townsend Project. I'm still awaiting the releases of the new Manilla Road, Opeth, and Skeletonwitch albums, and still need to hear Fleshgod Apocalypse's newest.

I have way too many favourites from 2010, I'm afraid. :P

Avaitor

Quote from: azureskies on August 12, 2011, 08:55:23 PM
I love Ghost, but that album came out in 2010. :P
Kinda maybe sorta. I distinguish it so much as a 2011 album myself, since we just got it in January and it started to pick up hype shortly after.

But yeah, it is technically a 2010 album.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

azureskies

I have decided to add a few more albums to my best of list, and I feel the need to bump this thread as 2012 gets closer.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony

I like symphonic metal. I fucking love death metal. Sure, I have Septic Flesh to help bridge the two loves in my heart, but when there is yet another band that puts their own spin on it, I'm in. Plus, Fleshgod is one of the few bands my brother and I agree on 100%. Agony is a hugely bombastic assault on the ears, a clusterfuck of sounds, and a damn solid album only beat by their Mafia EP from last year.

"The Violation"

Blut Aus Nord - 777 - Sect(s)

Holy fuck I love this album.

To be more specific, it's like they did exactly what I wanted them to. The Work Which Transforms God was an amazing album, but I wished for more of the melodic and mournful guitar leads that punctuated songs like "Our Blessed Frozen Cells" and "Procession of the Dead Clowns". 777 - Sect(s) nailed it. They found the best way to balance dissonant black metal and the melodic riffs with a Godflesh-esque industrial beat and sense. It looks like they will be keeping this up for 777 - The Desanctification, so expect that on the list during another edit.

"Epitome II"

I'm still waiting for the release of Nightwish's Imaginaerum. I'm biased, but reviews from listening sessions and a few samples have really gotten my hopes up. If they can keep the the catchiness and melody of Dark Passion Play up, but deliver more variation (and the reviews are definitely indicating that's the case), then it's in the top five this year, for sure.

Foggle

Apparently, there was another G. Love album released this year; Moonshine Lemonade. Holy shit. My disappointment with Fixin' To Die doesn't even come into play here... this might be his funkiest record yet. Good shit!

Foggle

So I just tried listening to Fixin' To Die again... Maybe I was in a bad mood or something when I heard it the first time, because it's actually pretty damn good. It is quite different from G. Love's other albums, but it's definitely a lot more awesome than I remember. Motherfucker is talented; every album is classic, though the first two are kind of iffy.

Avaitor

New blog!

Foggle

Nickelback? Alter Bridge? PHINEAS AND FERB SOUNDTRACK!?!?! The fuck?

Commode

I'm pretty sure four of those are really just the same album, so in reality he only named two albums as his favorites from the year.

as for me, I don't think I've even listened to a full album of anything this year, just not a lot that interests me right now.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

azureskies

I think that was the worst list I have ever read.

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on December 13, 2011, 01:46:46 AM
Nickelback? Alter Bridge? PHINEAS AND FERB SOUNDTRACK!?!?! The fuck?

I'm convinced that's some half-hearted trolling on their part.

...or maybe I'm not. Phineas and Ferb is, without a doubt, one of the single most overrated pieces of animation I have ever seen ("instant classic" my ass), so I guess if people are going to start heaping praise all over a soundtrack as mediocre as what that show puts forth, maybe their taste really does suck that badly. After all, they did mention Nickelback.

Terrible list, by the way. Although to be honest, in all fairness to them, I'm not really up to speed on much in the way of new music from this calendar year (all I really hear on a regular basis is LMFAO, and fuck LMFAO), so I can't exactly go out and nominate a whole laundry list of better albums. Still seems rather pathetic that was the best they could come up with, though.