Rugrats

Started by SSJ Jake, December 27, 2010, 07:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on August 28, 2012, 12:16:43 PM
The special wasn't that bad, but one thing that really annoys me about the whole thing is that they really expect us to believe that in the 10 years since the show took place, NONE of the parents ever had more kids.

I know that they didn't want to mess with the status quo too much, but that takes a lot to believe. You'd especially think that Chaz would want to stick it in with Kira after getting married.
Oh man, I thought I was the only one bothered by this!

It's like the only thing in the world that changed was that they were ten years older in the ten years since. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Well, while this thread is up, I think it's worth mentioning that Nick (or I guess Nick@Nite, technically) is going to air Rugrats in Paris tonight.

This was always my favorite Rugrats movie, so yeah.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2012, 04:50:30 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 28, 2012, 12:16:43 PM
The special wasn't that bad, but one thing that really annoys me about the whole thing is that they really expect us to believe that in the 10 years since the show took place, NONE of the parents ever had more kids.

I know that they didn't want to mess with the status quo too much, but that takes a lot to believe. You'd especially think that Chaz would want to stick it in with Kira after getting married.
Oh man, I thought I was the only one bothered by this!

It's like the only thing in the world that changed was that they were ten years older in the ten years since. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Though logically, given that the parents didn't have any clue how to take care of their existing kids, it'd just be stupid that they would want more.

Avaitor

Watching Rugrats in Paris again, it's still a cute movie, but the soundtrack sure is annoying. There's a song done with the babies, which is just SO OBNOXIOUS. I think Nick was hoping that this would be like their "Hakuna Matata" or something, and thankfully that did not happen. There's even a song about wanting a mom, which couldn't be any more fucking obvious.

Another thing I noticed while watching it was that this probably would've made sense if it took place in Tokyo. Chaz even acknowledges that it's weird that a Japanese-oriented theme park is set in Paris. I understand that embracing other cultures is cool and all, but it really seems like this was meant to be Rugrats in Tokyo, but they moved it to Paris at the last minute. It's kind of obvious since there's a lot of references to Japanese lore, but they hardly use France's locales at all. They even have that scene at the sushi karaoke bar with the singing sumo wrestlers.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Rynnec

Quote from: Avaitor on August 28, 2012, 08:47:38 PM
Watching Rugrats in Paris again, it's still a cute movie, but the soundtrack sure is annoying. There's a song done with the babies, which is just SO OBNOXIOUS. I think Nick was hoping that this would be like their "Hakuna Matata" or something, and thankfully that did not happen. There's even a song about wanting a mom, which couldn't be any more fucking obvious.

If you're talking about the scene with the babies in the airport, then I agree, that song really ruined what would've otherwise been an amusing (if filler-ish) scene. And of course, everyone knows about the Baha-men song.

I did think the use of "When You Love" at the opening dance scene was effective though.

Avaitor

Quote from: Rynnec on August 28, 2012, 09:02:10 PM
I did think the use of "When You Love" at the opening dance scene was effective though.
Yeah, that was fine. Did they use it again at the end, or was that another song? Because I thought that was fine too.

But yeah, the song at the airport just kills it.

New blog!

Rynnec

I actually had to eat by that time, so I didn't catch the ending. :sweat:

Rynnec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zsNcbPDyx0

While this is pretty good animation for a pilot, it also makes the show look like it was made on an acid trip or something.

Rynnec

Y'know, "Regarding Stuie" is a really dark episode once you stop to think about it. :sweat:

Mr. Big

Quote from: Rynnec on September 22, 2012, 12:17:06 AM
Y'know, "Regarding Stuie" is a really dark episode once you stop to think about it. :sweat:
Is that the one where Stu gets hit in the head and thinks he's a baby? Yeah, I always found that one unsettling.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm watching Paris right now on Nick for the first time.

So far outside of the surplus of scatological humor (I forgot how much this factor increased with Dil) and that weird airport song it's been quite enjoyable. Definitely better than the Dil episodes I've seen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, some of the lamer stuff aside, it's a good kids movie.

I still think it was supposed to take place in Tokyo though, and they changed it to Paris for no reason at the last minute.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, there's so much Japanese stuff in this that makes me confused as to why they set it in Paris.

Avaitor

I'm guessing that they couldn't find an adequate Japanese actress to voice the Coco character, and Susan Surandon just happened to be able to do a decent French accent.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It seemed to lay off the poop humor the further it got in and the ending was pretty good. Honestly, that probably would have made a good finale for the series.