"Back to the Future Part II" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, August 01, 2011, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

"The time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe: women!"

Release Date: November 22, 1989
Studio: Universal/Amblin
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson

Plot Summary: Marty McFly has only just got back from the past, when he is once again picked up by Dr. Emmett Brown and sent through time to the future. Marty's job in the future is to pose as his son to prevent him being thrown in prison. Unfortunately, things get worse when the future changes the present.

COMMENTS?

I went easy on the discussion for the first, since everyone's already had their say on it, but I'll try to talk a little more about Part II.

Overall, I think this is a worthy addition to the first. The little callbacks to the first and foreshadowing for the third are cute, and repeat viewings are kind for all the references you can catch. I also love the early scenes in 2015, if only to see the staff's perception on the future. I'd totally watch Jaws 19 if the shark actually came up to eat me. And of course, the hover board chase (seriously, we're only 4 years away from 2015, when are we getting those things?) was extraordinary. Very well timed and a thrill to watch, it's among my very favorite scenes from the whole trilogy.

I also liked the alternate 1985 part. It's the darkest part of the trilogy, maybe a little darker than it should be, but I think it effectively shows the negative side effects of altering time to your will, something that the first didn't really do, despite the lessons of past time traveling stories. True, Marty and his siblings nearly got erased from existence, but that was kind of a non-issue for the most part, and he kind of got off scott free. Here, we see what nearly happened to him and his family because of how many times he and the Doc altered the space time continuum. Again, by the end, all turned out well, but the atmosphere handled with Biff and Marty's mom is quite strong.

I kind of think that the movie falters in the return to 1955 scenes. There's still some very fun stuff, like elderly Biff's encounter with young Biff, the Docs helping each other out, and the return of the hover board, but I feel that the film starts to drag during the chase for the sports almanac. I'm not exactly sure what I'd cut out, but I think that the dance scene could have stood to lose a minute or two of footage.

It's still a necessary part of the story though, and that's one of the few things that drags the movie down for me. I think part I is more fun overall, and being the longest of the trilogy, II really does pull its weight in terms of length. But it's still a good follow-up to the first, and builds up pretty well to the third, which I'll make before long.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

This one I like because of the scope. We go both to the future, the past AND an alternate history throughout the story. While this has some typical issues of time travel stories (convolution) while the first doesn't, it doesn't really hinder the story because it all works in context of the characters and the world.

It's not as fresh as the original, but I think it makes up for it with ambition, and in my opinion almost brings it up to the level of the original.

But yeah, it drags a bit in places.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

"What's happened Doc? Its like we're in hell or something!"
"Oh its Hill Valley all right Marty, but I can't imagine hell being much worse!!!"

Yeah I don't really care for this one either.

Angus

Yeah, 4 more years and we'll have flying cars and hoverboards!!

It's the first movie I've seen that featured a full-on sequel trailer too. Before then there were only gag ones like in History of the World Part I.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Happy Back to the Future Day!

I really need to re-watch the trilogy again. I also love BTTF2, almost as much as the original. It's one of those rare sequels that can carry on elements of the original yet do something completely original and interesting with them.

Spark Of Spirit

I rewatched them a few weeks ago. They still hold up really well. The third one, especially, hangs together a lot better with age. I can see why kids frequently enjoy it the least, but it really is an excellent  conclusion to the whole story.

Oh yeah, and I always find this funny. I actually hope there never is a part 4 or remake, by the way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Amazing.

It's also amazing that they ever made more than one Jaws movie, too.