Goof Troop

Started by Kiddington, August 04, 2011, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Yeah, I've been slacking lately. I was originally going to make this thread ages ago, but I'm just now getting to it. Yeeeeep.

...anyway, just thought we should have a place to share the love. This was always one of my favorite installments in the Disney Afternoon lineup, even if it did come towards the very end (and isn't as fondly remembered as the likes of Darkwing Duck or Ducktales). The writing is solid, it's got a good dose of slapstick and physical comedy, and I love Pete; he plays the role of "quasi-villain" (not totally malicious towards Goofy, but still actively out to get him) so perfectly.

All in all, it's just a fun show. If Disney ever decides to get on the ball with 90's nostalgia, I'd take a DVD set of this (a REAL one; I already own that 3-episode set they released years ago, and that thing sucks) in a heartbeat. My collection demands it.

...and because Youtube notably lacks good clips of this show, here's the nostalgia-inducing opening theme. A little dated, but I still love it.

Avaitor

It didn't come out that late in the block's run. 1992 was still around it's peak.

Again, I must link to my earlier thoughts, but overall, I still find it to be a fun show, if a bit less ambitious than the others. I'd easily buy a set of it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on August 05, 2011, 12:19:04 AM
It didn't come out that late in the block's run. 1992 was still around it's peak.
*slaps head* What was I thinking? Sheesh, it came before Bonkers even! Eh, I guess I must have had it confused with something else... I dunno what though. The Mighty Ducks?  :happytime:

Great write-up, by the way. Sums up my thoughts on the show pretty well.

Spark Of Spirit

I still consider this part of the Golden Age of the block. IMO, that would be:

Gummi Bears
DuckTales
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers
TaleSpin
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Gargoyles
Bonkers

After that it lost a ton of drive and effort.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I tend to agree, for the most part... although I actually loved Timon & Pumbaa as a kid. From what little I've seen of it in the years since, it still holds up well enough for me. Not quite the same, but last time I caught it on Toon Disney (around 07-08-ish, before that channel began to die a slow and miserable death), I still liked it.

Everything else you didn't mention I'd agree on, though. Since I brought it up once already, I'll admit; I liked Mighty Ducks as a kid. Having watched a couple of episodes on Youtube fairly recently, though, I can say with full certainty that it doesn't hold up. At all. It's definitely a product of its time, that's for sure... and by this point, you kinda knew the block was on its way out. Same goes for the Hercules series (I understand that was the very last new show to premiere on DA). Not so much a product of its time in this case, but just... really boring. It was cool to see James Woods back as Hades at least, but nothing else about it really worked at all.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I could tell it was nearing the end since it seemed after Bonkers the original material seemed to more or less turn south and shows based on movies seemed to be taking over the block. I think everyone knew it was done when Quack Pack hit the air, but those original 8 are still fun to watch for the most part.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quack Pack... ughhhhh...  :wth:

I can't believe that actually got a DVD release (lame 3-episode set in the same vein as Goof Troop, but still; it's something) while Bonkers got nothing. Absolutely NOTHING. Fucking Disney. That company, I just... I dunno sometimes.

Avaitor

Disney just dropped the ball in general with their TDA releases. And I doubt we'll get any more any time soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Well check this out.

Happy anniversary! Any memories you wanna share about the show?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I was obsessed with the show as a kid to the point where I think I remember almost every single episode from from to back.

Kiddington

Wow, 20 years old. Hard to believe.

I wish it was on DVD. It was a great show, and I'd love to sit down and really watch it again.

Avaitor

Take the chance to watch the pilot here.

The second half can be found in the link, too.

New blog!

Avaitor

Someone from another board found these from the Disney Movie Club site and took the screencaps. They're tiny because there isn't a press release yet I guess, but it looks like we're getting sets of the show.

I don't know about you, but I want! Not every episode is a gem, but I do still enjoy the dynamic between Goofy and Max, and also think that it has some unique animation, enough to make me want to see the show again. Between this and the Weekenders set, I might have to join DMC after all.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, cool. I watched this show a ton back in the day. Any time I watch it now I seem to already know almost every line of it.

As far as what I think of it now, I still think it's a pretty good animated sitcom that isn't afraid to be cartoony.

Kiddington

Because I'm lazy, can someone explain to me what exactly Disney Movie Club is? Do I have to pay a certain amount of money every month to buy stuff from them or what? The only other time I remember reading about it was when the Kim Possible sets were released, and I've already since forgotten.

I hope that's not the case, because I really want these.