SpongeBob SquarePants

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

But... there was already a Spongebob comic book. The covers were usually awesome.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, to be fair, there are some people that I know who like cartoons but don't read any comics. That isn't to say that they wouldn't like them if they did, but they just don't buy or read comics.

Daikun

Peanutbutter

Yeah, that's a bizarre story. If she really was that big a fan of Spongebob, and her family wants it I don't see why the cemetery should have a problem.

talonmalon333

We should start taking bets on how many seasons that SpongeBob will end with.

I predict it will end with season 15, unless something shocking happens sooner that essentially forces it to be canceled.

talonmalon333

So I felt like talking about my history with this series. Just for the heck of it, plus most of you probably know that I'm a fan of it. Read it if you wish.

I can vividly remember seeing previews for this show, back in 1998 or 1999. At this time, I think I was kind of thinking that it would end up being a really lame show. However, I did quickly grow to love it. My first episode was most likely the pilot episode, Help Wanted, since that episode was airing well before the series even officially began. Funny enough, I remember that, at first, I liked it because of the supporting characters. SpongeBob himself wasn't as likable to me. At this point, SpongeBob is one of my favorite characters in general, so it's a far cry from that.

I think it was around 2004 when I became the massive fan that I grew to be. I remember, it was the summer of that year, and due to many reasons, I was always alone at home by myself for the majority of weekdays. I saw that SpongeBob was going to be airing a set of episodes one morning, so I decided to take out a VHS and record them. This is what we typically did with TV shows back then when we wanted to rewatch episodes, as well as movies, and it was an idea that I had considered doing for SpongeBob before. I remember the very first episodes I recorded was titled Shanghaied, the one where SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward end up on the Flying Dutchman's ship and must become his ghostly crew (Squidward ends up being thrown into the Fly of Despair, though). I must have watched that episode countless times, and it quickly became my favorite in the entire series. Yeah, I know some of you guys, as well as many fans in general, consider Band Geeks to be the best episode of the series. But to me, it's Shanghaied.

Eventually, I got the first three seasons on DVD, so my video tapes became obsolete within a few years. But they had their use for a time. I wonder where they currently are.

So yeah, I ended up watching that show constantly that summer. And then the movie was announced. I'd like to backtrack a bit and mention that I can specifically remember, before that summer, claiming that, if they ever were to make a SpongeBob movie, it would probably be stupid... And then the movie was announced, and I was pumped. Yeah, I know that, on this forum, opinions on the movie are mixed (opinions on this show in general are mixed here). But I fell in love with the movie immediately. I remember renting it from Blockbuster, and for some reason, it was only a two day rental... I watched it both nights, extended the rental another two days, and then watched it the next two nights, before bringing it back and missing it. In retrospect, I can admit that some of my love for it was slight fanboyism. But even still, I do think the movie is just as good, if not even better, then any of the best episodes the series has to offer.

It was announced that season 4 would begin soon after that. I was still pumped about the movie, so I was more than ready to see the show continue. But, as it should go without saying for anyone who has seen the show, this was the point where things began to turn sour. When I saw season 4, for a period of time I convinced myself that there wasn't really anything wrong. But I was soon able to look past that and say... yeah, it wasn't the same. It was nowhere near the level of the previous seasons, especially season 2 and season 3. But I did still watch it and, perhaps due to my closeness to this show, I continued to thoroughly enjoy it. That enjoyment continued into season 5, which I saw all of.

It was season 6 (and maybe the very beginning of season 7, depending on if they aired during season 6) where my excitement was really beginning to fade, and my support for this show couldn't last much longer. I don't remember when I completely fell out of the habit of keeping up with it. I do remember I was still watching new episodes during 2008 and early 2009, such as one where Mr. Krabs' grandfather came to visit the Krusty Krab. I remember I was there when SpongeBob was celebrating its 10 year anniversary. But around this time, I just stopped keeping up with the series.

In the years since then, I did continue to watch the show... occasionally. But it was never out of eagerness or even habit. I just thought I felt obligated to keep up with it because I was a long time fan, and I felt I needed to stick with it until the end. But there was no consistency to this. I would go months of not seeing it, and then would suddenly remember the series and learn that I had missed 15-20 episodes after months away from it. So I'd spend a period of time trying to catch up on those episodes and, before completing that, I'd fall out of the habit again. And then another 15-20 episodes would air, and the cycle would continue. So I guess, in a way, there was consistency after all. :P

It wasn't until sometime more recently when I came to realize I should just let it go. It's certainly the cartoon that I have stick with for the longest period of time, but after a show passes its prime, you can only stick it for so long. And then it becomes a question of "How long?". I think I stuck with it for a good enough amount of time, considering the fact that the great episodes only amount to, like, 1/3 of the entire series by now. I think they are on season 10 by now, but I've lost track, really.

I do still love SpongeBob, but mainly for what it once was. Seasons 1-3 are my favorite things to come out of Nickelodeon, and some of my favorite batches of episodes of any series in general (and I'm serious about that). And while they are nowhere near anything great, I feel like I'd still like season 4 and 5 if I were to watch them today, as well as a few episodes scattered all around later seasons. But that's about it. And it's funny because I can remember a time when I would argue with the people who claimed SpongeBob should have ended with the movie. But now... I have to agree with that opinion. Those three seasons would've meant it had a perfect run, and the movie would have been a very satisfying end to the series. But yeah, at this point, I'm not going to be rushing to see new episodes, or make an effort to catch ones that I missed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Looking at your write-up, it reminds me of just how old this series is now, and how it even technically started in the 90's. I remember being addicted to it as a kid, then losing interest in it, and then coming back to watching the occasional reruns with my little sister when I was babysitting her. The show really has changed a lot since its inception, which does of course only make sense.

As for me, I'm not a fan of the show, but I do enjoy watching it to varying degrees. I certainly never understood the unfounded hate for it on this board. I mean, I can perfectly understand not liking it, but there are much worse shows out there that are more worthy of hating on.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 27, 2014, 12:56:49 PM
As for me, I'm not a fan of the show, but I do enjoy watching it to varying degrees. I certainly never understood the unfounded hate for it on this board. I mean, I can perfectly understand not liking it, but there are much worse shows out there that are more worthy of hating on.
I don't think hatred's the right word, especially since only a couple of people don't like it, and not with seething hatred. But I do have to admit that personally, I'll never understand why it's this show that's still around and still such a big deal.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

You've got quite the history with the ol' Sponge Talon! I'll keep my own short: I was always moving in and out of hating and liking Spongebob as a kid, mainly because sometimes I felt it was too overplayed and that kind of stuff annoyed me back then. Eventually, though, I got into another phase of liking the series again, and grew to really, really love it's finest episodes. Pretty much all of season two and three are gold, in my opinion, and I can agree with you that I think those are the finest seasons of any Nicktoon. As for the post-movie stuff, I do like season 4 and 5 quite a bit, but when season 6 started I found the episodes to get increasingly uninspired and the characters more obnoxious, and it came to a point where I just couldn't stand seeing them. I haven't watched new episodes of the Sponge in a looonnnggg time now, but the first 5 seasons still are solid entertainment for me and I love watching just about any episode in them.

I personally enjoy the movie. Most people I know really love it. It was one of three movies we always watched every year on the bus when I was in ski club. It would have been a great way to send off the series if it had ended with season 3, but as it is now it's still by far the best movie based on a Nick show. I'm curious about the second movie, though I doubt it'll be as good as the first.

"Shangheid" is also my favorite episode, by the way.  :thumbup:

talonmalon333

Thanks for looking at my history, guys. I think you could easily argue that SpongeBob isn't actually as good a show as many other animated comedies. But it just means a lot to me, personally, for the first part of its lifespan.

Looking at your write-up, it reminds me of just how old this series is now, and how it even technically started in the 90's. I remember being addicted to it as a kid, then losing interest in it, and then coming back to watching the occasional reruns with my little sister when I was babysitting her. The show really has changed a lot since its inception, which does of course only make sense.

I remember someone on this forum mentioned it before, but in spite of the changes SpongeBob has gone through, it still feels like a dinosaur compared to every other show on Nickelodeon. You have all these shows made in recent years, and then you have this 90s relic, still bringing in viewers.

Many of those worse shows existed on the same channel. :P

Quote from: Avaitor on February 27, 2014, 01:07:51 PM
I don't think hatred's the right word, especially since only a couple of people don't like it, and not with seething hatred. But I do have to admit that personally, I'll never understand why it's this show that's still around and still such a big deal.

I'm not sure about current episodes, but I still think the first three seasons are gold. They might be why the show still brings in ratings. Had the show started with season 4, I'm not sure it could have gained that popularity.

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 27, 2014, 01:34:36 PM
You've got quite the history with the ol' Sponge Talon! I'll keep my own short: I was always moving in and out of hating and liking Spongebob as a kid, mainly because sometimes I felt it was too overplayed and that kind of stuff annoyed me back then. Eventually, though, I got into another phase of liking the series again, and grew to really, really love it's finest episodes. Pretty much all of season two and three are gold, in my opinion, and I can agree with you that I think those are the finest seasons of any Nicktoon. As for the post-movie stuff, I do like season 4 and 5 quite a bit, but when season 6 started I found the episodes to get increasingly uninspired and the characters more obnoxious, and it came to a point where I just couldn't stand seeing them. I haven't watched new episodes of the Sponge in a looonnnggg time now, but the first 5 seasons still are solid entertainment for me and I love watching just about any episode in them.

That's how I used to be with a lot of things. I went through phases. I still do to a certain extent. You might notice that even my posting goes through patterns. Recently, I made a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho posts, for example. Was kind of a phase.

I like season 4 and 5 more than the later seasons, but only a little. It might be because they are closer to the golden seasons in terms of when they were made. Current episodes just feel so far away from those days.

My favorite post-movie episode might be Krusty Towers.

I personally enjoy the movie. Most people I know really love it. It was one of three movies we always watched every year on the bus when I was in ski club. It would have been a great way to send off the series if it had ended with season 3, but as it is now it's still by far the best movie based on a Nick show. I'm curious about the second movie, though I doubt it'll be as good as the first.

I think they should have just let a good thing be, and stay with one movie. And the first movie would indeed have been a great send off. It was great, and it just ended on a good note, of SpongeBob being the manager of the new Krusty Krab... Besides, what happened to the new Krusty Krab later seasons? I mean, I know SpongeBob isn't a series for storyline, but my love for the movie keeps me from denying it as canon. :P

"Shangheid" is also my favorite episode, by the way.  :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Actually, over the years, my favorite changed many times. My first true favorite was Shanghaied. But over a long stretch of time, it also changed to episodes like Idiot Box, Snowball Effect, Survival of the Idiots (currently my second favorite episode), and for a long stretch of time, it was SpongeBob's House Party (there might also be a few others in there, but I can't remember them. But in time, I reverted back to my original, true favorite. My friends can vouch for this, but I there was a time when I could quote the entire episode. I might still be able to quote it, at least 75% of it.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 27, 2014, 03:32:57 PM

I think they should have just let a good thing be, and stay with one movie. And the first movie would indeed have been a great send off. It was great, and it just ended on a good note, of SpongeBob being the manager of the new Krusty Krab... Besides, what happened to the new Krusty Krab later seasons? I mean, I know SpongeBob isn't a series for storyline, but my love for the movie keeps me from denying it as canon. :P
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the movie is supposed to take place a length of time after all the episodes. That way any new episodes wounldn't contradict it.

talonmalon333

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on February 27, 2014, 04:17:38 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 27, 2014, 03:32:57 PM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the movie is supposed to take place a length of time after all the episodes. That way any new episodes wounldn't contradict it.

That's easily better than just writing it off as non-canon. It does create a sense of weirdness because, for the most part, SpongeBob's character in the movie is far more along the lines of how he was in the first three seasons. Since season 4, he grew to be much more... well, loud, childish, and overall a bit more of a generic. Then again, like I said, story doesn't matter at all to this series. I can only think of a few instances of direct continuity where characters directly referenced previous episodes.

Spark Of Spirit

I like the show, don't love it. The early episodes are much more enjoyable than the later ones are, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

No-Personality

The 90's wasn't that long ago, you guys.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...