SpongeBob SquarePants

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I've spent more than half of my life outside of the 90s now. It is for me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I didn't really feel that old until one day my nephew was looking over my shoulder while I was looking at set pictures and he asked me who that new Ranger was next to the Samurai Green Ranger.

It was this picture.

http://i41.tinypic.com/t7g9si.jpg

Kiddington

Quote from: No-Personality on March 13, 2014, 01:11:35 PM
The 90's wasn't that long ago, you guys.

I think once anything approaches 10 years old, the nostalgia starts to brood a bit.

Anyway I love the older episodes. This was a great show. I literally cannot stomach anything that came after the movie though; most of it's just too weird, too gross, and too underwhelming for me to watch objectively. Trying to watch Season 4 Spongebob after Season 3 is like trying to watch Season 11 Simpsons after Season 5 or something. And really, it's too bad that it had such a short-lived peak; when these guys were rolling, they came out with some pretty great stuff. They don't get much better than this.

gunswordfist

I thought he was going to see it was piss. :D

For a show with such a short lived prime, it sure did give me a lot of great memories. I stand by saying that era of Spongebob isn't overrated at all.

Commode

I remember when that scene actually used to air on TV, I saw that episode countless times with it uncensored.  I wonder when exactly it was cut, and for what reason.  I've heard it had something to do with 9/11, but I don't think that's it because I swear I saw the episode for at least a couple of years after that uncut.  Plus you have episodes like the exploding pie that didn't get cut up.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

I don't remember that scene at all.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on March 18, 2014, 02:45:20 PM
Anyway I love the older episodes. This was a great show. I literally cannot stomach anything that came after the movie though; most of it's just too weird, too gross, and too underwhelming for me to watch objectively. Trying to watch Season 4 Spongebob after Season 3 is like trying to watch Season 11 Simpsons after Season 5 or something. And really, it's too bad that it had such a short-lived peak; when these guys were rolling, they came out with some pretty great stuff. They don't get much better than this.

I agree 100%. I still say that SpongeBob seasons 1-3 are the best things Nickelodeon has ever put out. It's really sad to think that the good era of SpongeBob only amounts to 1/3 of its entire existence. And that will only shrink as time goes on.

Quote from: Comeau on March 18, 2014, 07:04:34 PM
I remember when that scene actually used to air on TV, I saw that episode countless times with it uncensored.  I wonder when exactly it was cut, and for what reason.  I've heard it had something to do with 9/11, but I don't think that's it because I swear I saw the episode for at least a couple of years after that uncut.  Plus you have episodes like the exploding pie that didn't get cut up.

I think media just got more defensive about that stuff over time. It didn't really all happen in one fell swoop right after 9/11.

Here's another deleted scene in the Procrastination. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0WLYeoUgcg

They must have thought the car crash moment was too violent, but it doesn't explain why they cut out the entire 30 seconds of innocent silliness that follows it. The car crashing moment is the funniest part of the episode too. Though it doesn't effect me too much as that scene remains intact on the DVD, though the scene from Just One Bite isn't on the DVD.

Commode

The drag racing part got cut?  That's weird, it's so harmless.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Comeau on March 19, 2014, 06:53:57 PM
The drag racing part got cut?  That's weird, it's so harmless.

As is the scene in Just One Bite.

Spark Of Spirit

Our Netflix only has Spongebob season 4-7.

Yippee?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

We don't have it at all anymore, lost it along with all the other Viacom stuff last year.  Wish they'd bring it all back.

talonmalon333

I have the first three seasons on DVD so I'm set for life.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on February 29, 2012, 05:23:14 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-paramount-release-spongebob-movie-late-2014-philippe-dauman295695
I don't know what to say about this.  I'm honestly shocked that the show is still popular enough to warrant a big budget film in this day and age, never mind more than two years from now.  It kinda seems like a stretch really.
Is this still happening this year?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I still hear rumblings about it sometimes, but I think it got pushed to next year.  I remember reading something about the full slate of movies 2015 is supposed to have, and that one was one of them.