SpongeBob SquarePants

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomysterion X. Prime

Of course we still need a SpongeBob discussion and appreciation topic on this site, right?

Hence the fact that Nickelodeon overairs the series, SpongeBob still had his memorable moments, right? Why not discuss them right here!  :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

I've been watching a lot of early episodes recently, and I really have grown to really love this show.

This episode in particular had me laughing out loud through it.

Like I once said, the humor of the show to me is in how very Rocko it feels, though less on the social commentary and more on the weird plots that continually happen.

And another early clip this one was particularly hilarious. Squidward is a great character.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

I completely agree this show is one of Nick's best and I just thought it was occasionally funny until I got the season 1 and 3 boxsets for Christmas back in 2006. Now I think the show is utterly brilliant. It had some rocky moments at the start. Like the Bubble Stand episode where they just go on and on and on and on and on and they're still getting their sealegs- meaning they don't know how funny or annoying SB will be as a character and so they just him go for maximum annoyance right away. He finds a better balance over the course of the show, but I have to say (since I haven't been watching any of the seasons closely after season 3) at the end of season 3 they get... really... well, Beavis & Butthead violent, uncomfortable gross-out. The scene where the Strangler character is trying to befriend SB and SB steps in his eyes with spiked shoes? Or, well, that whole episode where he flies by the... wind in his pants. Less said, the better. Or that episode where Patrick and SB spray paint each other naked. I mean, that's like a string 6 episodes at least in a row with uncomfortable themes and moments. It's as though they forgot that Ren & Stimpy ever existed.

Anyway, this show really was brilliant and very clever a lot of the time. I just re-watch that 3rd season especially in a kind of shock. It has the resourceful-bank of crazy, seemingly pointless ideas that are trademark Nickelodeon (especially on shows like All That) but find a way to not make them pointless. The episode I think I laughed the hardest at was "Naughty Nautical Neighbors." The episode where SB and Patrick are fighting over who is Squidward's best friend. That moment with the violin bow incited immediate HA!
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Kiddington

Too bad the series has become such a mess over the years. They're basically in full "clock in, half-ass the day, collect paycheck" mode now. Nick probably wouldn't even let them stop if they wanted to, though; this is their golden goose, and they'd stand to lose too much money if it ended without a suitable successor (God knows Butch Hartman's output doesn't fit the bill, and there ain't much else after that).

...but yeah, Seasons 1-3 still hold up remarkably well, in spite of its current lackluster state. Band Geeks is one of the greatest things ever. I never get tired of that episode.

GaryPotter

The post-movie episodes have been complete and utter crap. They abandoned the absurd, ironic writing and became nothing but a silly gagfest.

What sucks about that is, unlike Rugrats, Nick has no desire to ever find a replacement for Spongebob. They'll just milk it for all eternity. Animation-wise, it has no competition except Butch Hartman's garbage and whatever one-season forgotten show Nick decides to greenlight.

And yes, Band Geeks is the best episode, bar none.

Avaitor

Yeah, Nick will probably just milk SpongeBob for as long as they can. The only reason they may end it is if Tom Kenny dies, but even then, he might still be replaceable, and it's not like the show is going to drop massive ratings any time soon.

I do think that iCarly might be stealing it's thunder lately, but the sponge is still by far the most popular cartoon on today.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Eddy

I'm indifferent with Spongebob. Sometimes I just find a lot of episodes boring but then there are other episodes which I find hilarious. I guess I can go either way with Spongebob. What's weird is, while I'm not really a huge Spongebob fan, I loved the movie. I thought it was extremely well done and was much better than what I was expecting of a Spongebob Squarepants movie.

The show hasn't been all that enjoyable after the movie though. Like Fox with The Simpsons, Nick is clearly going to milk Spongebob for all they possibly can.

Squidward is my favorite character. He's hilarious.

Commode

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-paramount-release-spongebob-movie-late-2014-philippe-dauman295695
I don't know what to say about this.  I'm honestly shocked that the show is still popular enough to warrant a big budget film in this day and age, never mind more than two years from now.  It kinda seems like a stretch really.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

No less than 10 full years after the first movie. Huh.

Hey, maybe that means the series is finally about to end. If you remember, the original movie back in 2004 was supposed to be the series finale, so to speak, but because it made so much money and the show was such a megahit coming out of it, they decided to keep it going. I kinda doubt that'll be the case now, but you never know.

Avaitor

Well the ratings do seem to have been dropping significantly for SpongeBob lately. That, or it just hasn't been pulling Nickelodeon's weight as much as it used to anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the end for the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I guess people are finally tired of it. Seeing as it's on every single time you turn Nick on, I guess viewers have finally caught on to how Nick has nothing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Here's the funny thing. You know how I mentioned before that Nick has been sliding in the ratings since the second half of last year? They actually were the #1 channel again this month.

You know why, though? Because of new Victorious. SpongeBob doesn't seem to have helped at all.

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Here's hoping they can get most of the old crew back together one last time if this really is the end of old SpongeBob.

talonmalon333

Meant to post here sooner. Anyway...

To be honest, I suspected that this would happen someday. Considering SpongeBob's completely insane popularity, it always made sense... Especially since Rugrats got three films, and that was never nearly as popular as the sponge.

I'm not sure 2014 is totally unlikely. But if it is, then for all we know, it could be just an estimate. The movie could really be 2015 or something. Also, I'm not 100% confident this is actually happening. If it is, wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to be the final ending to the series... At least until it gives SpongeBob another boost in popularity leading to another continuation. :P

My thoughts? Excited, but also slightly worried. Without Hillenburg, I'm just not totally sure the writers have it in them. Yeah, they're good enough to make 22 minute episodes. But can their abilities translate to 90 minutes? Not sure... But still, it's SpongeBob. I loved the first movie, so of course I'm excited about another one!

Commode

hello spongebob.  my name is pat-back!

ha, that is disturbing!

sorry, waiting for my netflix to load.  why are you so slow?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.