SpongeBob SquarePants

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303990604577370510139597158.html

Looks like the beginning of the end for old SpongeBob. I will admit the show has overstayed its welcome, but its become so synonymous with the Nick branding that I can't really imagine modern Nick without him. Plus for being on the air for more than a decade now, the show is quite the dinosaur for modern TV. Funny how it debuted near the tail end of the 90's and will probably finish up in the current decade, the show lived through quite the long transitional era.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on May 13, 2012, 05:34:09 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303990604577370510139597158.html

Looks like the beginning of the end for old SpongeBob. I will admit the show has overstayed its welcome, but its become so synonymous with the Nick branding that I can't really imagine modern Nick without him. Plus for being on the air for more than a decade now, the show is quite the dinosaur for modern TV. Funny how it debuted near the tail end of the 90's and will probably finish up in the current decade, the show lived through quite the long transitional era.
It's really jarring how different it is from all the modern Nick shows since it's still a very 90s show at heart. Compare it with anything else on their line up and it sticks out like a sore thumb, and it has for years.

Even though it's been on auto-pilot for a while now, it's still gonna feel weird when it's gone since it really will be the end of classic Nick material on the network.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

This wouldn't be happening if they didn't over-rely on SpongeBob so much in the first place.

And they're really going to shoot themselves in the foot if they end it now, since Nick doesn't have anything to replace it with right now. Live-action kid shows don't have anywhere near as long of a shelf life as cartoons do, they can't market the Dreamworks shows as their own, Avatar can't be overran and marketed like SpongeBob and Rugrats were, and none of their other cartoons have the lifestock or mass appeal that it did. They better work on a killer app ASAP if they're thinking of calling it a day for the sponge.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 13, 2012, 06:09:13 PM
This wouldn't be happening if they didn't over-rely on SpongeBob so much in the first place.

And they're really going to shoot themselves in the foot if they end it now, since Nick doesn't have anything to replace it with right now. Live-action kid shows don't have anywhere near as long of a shelf life as cartoons do, they can't market the Dreamworks shows as their own, Avatar can't be overran and marketed like SpongeBob and Rugrats were, and none of their other cartoons have the lifestock or mass appeal that it did. They better work on a killer app ASAP if they're thinking of calling it a day for the sponge.
Good point. This show consists of 40%(!) of their air-time. FORTY-PERCENT. If they took it off tomorrow, they'd have absolutely nothing to fill the void.

Maybe if they cultivated talent instead of relying on movie adaptions, Dan Schneider, and Spongebob, they'd be better off. Once kids get sick of all three (and they will), Nick will have nothing to replace them with.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

This is something that Nickelodeon doesn't seem to realize- kids move on. this isn't the first time that their target audience got tired of certain things on the network. They've already grown weary of Butch Hartman, Klasky-Csupco (nostalgia aside), and even Ren & Stimpy.

If you run one show in particular for nearly half of your daily-alotted schedule, people will get tired of it. And Nick is just now starting to learn this.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Mr. Big

Anyone saw the stop-motion special that aired on CBS yesterday? I watched it, and it's pretty good. It was very much done in the style of those Rankin/Bass "Animagic" shows, and I think they did a good job.

Funnily enough, CBS also aired Rankin's "Frosty the Snowman" before the Sponge. Haven't seen that special in years, so it was nice to see it again.

The Shadow Gentleman

I'd never thought I'd say this, but damn I feel old.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wow, I even remember watching that episode back when it was brand new and airing for the very first time. Now that I stop to think about it, I believe that this show will be 15 years old by sometime next year.

Heh, For whatever reason, I can't bring myself to think of the show as being old. In my mind, it still feels like its only a few years old.

Nel_Annette

Well, the first few seasons are kind of timeless. I can see an episode from the first three seasons and still laugh my ass off.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Graywulf on February 09, 2013, 12:48:17 PM

No it isn't. I'm still a thirteen year old on summer vacation constantly rewatching my prized VHS of recorded SpongeBob episodes while waiting for the movie to finally hit theaters.

How time flies... :cry:

Kiddington

When this came over my tumblr feed, I just had to.

Daikun

talonmalon333

Quote from: Daikun on April 16, 2013, 08:19:37 PM
SpongeBob Comics are coming.
QuoteIf you love cartoons, you probably love comic books.

Since when has this been a "thing"? :wth:

Foggle

I have never met someone who likes cartoons but not comics.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 20, 2013, 11:41:33 PM
I have never met someone who likes cartoons but not comics.

I dunno. People liking cartoons just seems far more common than people being fans of comic books.