Bands You Hate & Why

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 08, 2011, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The thread title is obvious, but I also wanted some opinions on why you (if you do) hate Green Day in particular? What puts them at the level of bands like Nickleback, Creed, Limp Bizkit or other hated bands? I'm honestly asking this question to you guys.

If you can offer me some criticism on the lyrics, dynamics, and general song writing of this, this, this (yes, that's a Replacements reference), this and this .... Because I see a lot to like and I don't really see why they got such blind hatred comparable to those earlier bands. They wrote some very good songs, so I'd really like to hear some conflicting opinions.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm very picky with punk in general. Probably more so than any subgenre of rock. The popish stuff overall does little for me, particularly stuff like Green Day and The Offspring. I used to consider that the "enemy", but at the same time, it took me a while to find hardcore, post-hardcore, post-punk, or even traditional punk for me to enjoy, and I'm still like that.

I've been warming up to their earlier stuff, however. There's some good material throughout most of their albums, like what you've linked to. "Misery" especially has a nice sound to it that I dig. They've always had a varied sound, going over their stuff now. This still isn't my preferred type of music, but whenever "Basket Case" or something comes on the radio, I don't turn it off.

I still hate their American Idiot-era stuff, though. The non-single songs from both albums is easily forgettable, and the actual singles were and still are grossly overplayed.

On another note, Metallica. The black album turns 20 in a few days. Fuck them, fuck that album, and fuck it's "impact" in the industry. I sincerely believe the world would be a better place if it was never made.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Honestly, I think Nimrod and Warning are both fantastic albums that don't get nearly enough credit. Kerplunk is a fantastic little album. Their 'side project' that they released between American Idiot and that shit stain album is better than both. Most people just tend to go off their last two albums or the singles from Dookie to judge their entire sound off of.

I dunno, I always thought material like this was actually comparable to some of the better punk bands. IMO, one of the few pop punk bands that seem to get what made the Ramones work, not as a punk band but as a band. Taking simplicity and making it dynamic and exciting. Something most punk bands don't seem to get.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't get why people say "Friday" is the worst thing to ever come out in the music world. It's like they haven't heard "Freaxxx" or their cover of "Low".

What do you think about U2, Foggle?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Honestly? The only song I've heard by them (and known that they were the ones performing it) is Sunday Bloody Sunday. Thought it was okay.

Quote from: Avaitor on August 08, 2011, 06:02:31 PM
I don't get why people say "Friday" is the worst thing to ever come out in the music world. It's like they haven't heard "Freaxxx" or their cover of "Low".
40oz, Get Crunk, and Schizophrenia are also ear-bleedingly atrocious. If you want to hear something utterly soul-sucking, attempt to listen to DAMN, their collaboration with Scene Kidz. Absolutely revolting.

Avaitor

Crunkcore is horrendous, and one of the only genres I can't find any redeeming artists in. It's a joke.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I can't defend modern Green Day fans. When AI came out there was girl in my class drawing pictures of Billie Joe and shit and it really annoyed me since I doubt these people ever listened to Warning at all, even though it was so much better than that album.

But, Foggle, just listen to something like Bab's Uvula Who? from their better albums. You have to at least admit it's better than their recent stuff, right?

And fuck BrokeNCYDE.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on August 08, 2011, 06:13:20 PM
Crunkcore is horrendous, and one of the only genres I can't find any redeeming artists in. It's a joke.
Just curious, what are the others? :SHOCK:

Quote from: Desensitized on August 08, 2011, 06:15:01 PM
But, Foggle, just listen to something like Bab's Uvula Who? from their better albums. You have to at least admit it's better than their recent stuff, right?
Pretty good, actually. I like it!

Kiddington

I don't hate Green Day; I'm actually in the boat of those who likes their early output (everything pre-American Idiot, basically... as if you couldn't see that coming).

After AI (and all the airplay those shitty songs received) though, I got tired of them pretty fast. AI was an unbelievably overrated pile of crap (I can listen to "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" if I'm in the right mood, but everything else on it is terrible... and even that song isn't really my cup of tea), while 21st Century Breakdown was just fucking horrible, and had absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I guess you could say that I hate what they've become (a mediocre, generic pop/punk sound), but I don't hate their early stuff at all; most of it is pretty good, IMO.

...as for other bands I hate? Just talking rock, I'd go with Nickelback, Creed, Metallica, Buckcherry, Three Days Grace... you know where I'm going here, basically. It's all shit, one way or another. I could probably break down my reasons for hating each band individually, but it'll take a while.  ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 08, 2011, 06:19:16 PMPretty good, actually. I like it!
That's what I'm talking about! Their material from Kerplunk through Warning is all pretty good, but they lost the plot after that. While I'm more or less okay with American Idiot, it doesn't hold a candle to their earlier work and the less said about their last album the better, but I could never put that stuff anywhere near shit like Nickleback.

Kiddington

There are so many reasons why Nickelback is the epitome of shit. You could write a book on all the reasons why they suck, and why they fail so hard as a rock band.

Nothing offends worse than this, though. Fuck this song; fuck it until the cows come home. Every time I hear this on the radio, I have the sudden urge to find the nearest ravine, and drive my car straight into it. Even their quote unquote "best" is still incredibly awful, but this... this just...  :wth:

Avaitor

I like how Nickelback have been seriously losing popularity in the past few years. People seem to be getting tired of their monotonous singles. Same with Rise Against and Kings of Leon, who release the same shit songs time and time again and until recently, still seemed to have sold.

Add those two to my list, as well. "Savior" is one of the worst pieces of shit I've heard.

New blog!

Kiddington

Another one of my least favorites: Black Stone Cherry. Different from Buckcherry, obviously... but they suck just as hard.

I can't even listen to the local rock station here anymore. They play that godawful "White Trash Millionaire" song every fucking time I turn it on, and I can't stand it. How is this popular? How is this considered a general framework for the direction that rock music is going towards?

Grrrr...

Commode

I like(love) Green Day, but you already know that.  I even like AI(for the most part, though not as much as earlier albums, mainly the ones Desen already highlighted) and some of 21st Century Breakdown(Last of the American Girls is a cool song), but I will admit that it's a lot of stadium rock ripoffs from the likes of Queen, Springsteen, and Bowie.  The song "21 Guns" is a clear example of this, and is one of the worst tracks on the album.

As far as stuff I hate/cannot stand/whatever, there's a huge long list.  Basically, I've figured it out to be pretty much anything Manga4Life says he's a fan of(Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne, Godsmack, ah you get the shitty idea).  Also, a lot of 80's hair metal is stuff I just can't get into. 

And I like some Metallica, mainly the pre-Black album stuff(except Master of Puppets, those dumbfuck kids in high school forever ruined any chance of me liking that one), but I was listening to their cover of "Turn the Page" the other day, and I still liked it as much as I did the last time I listened to it(a few years ago).  Sure, Bob Seger's original is better, but this version ain't bad.

Oh, and yes, Rise Against.  I used to like them in high school, and I still maintain that Revolutions Per Minute and Siren Song for the Counterculture are awesome albums, but almost everything they've done since has infuriated me to no end.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rynnec

I guess I'm one of the few people here who likes Rise Against. n_n; While I'm not a huge fan of them, I do like quite a few of their songs. I can see why people wouldn't be too fond of them though.

As for bands I hate, can't really say. The only band I've ever remotely hated was Linkin Park, and that was more of an indifference really (though I do like New Divide).