Bands You Hate & Why

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 08, 2011, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

What do you all think of other pop-punk, stuff like Sum 41 or (yes, I love 'em) Blink-182?  Or even Paramore?  I kind of know some of your opinions, but after reading you talk about Green Day as pop-punk, I'm curious to hear what you think about the stuff that is actually popier.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Varying levels of hate for those 3. I probably hate Blink-182 the least and Paramore the most out of 'em. I'm just not a fan of pop-punk. Can't really say which is worse out of that and power metal, though crunkcore is the worst of all time.

Master of Puppets is so obnoxious.

Avaitor

The entire Master of Puppets album is really just a remake of Ride the Lightning when you get down to it. Just trade the cool thrasher with the overlong instrumental at the end, and you have the same structure in both-

Basic thrasher with a soft acoustic opening
Dull title track
Somewhat above average thrasher
"Deep" psuedo-ballad
Generic thrasher
Generic thrasher
And the aforementioned closing tracks

As for Sum 41, I still maintain that this is a cool song.

And who can hate this power metal track?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

This is my favorite Sum 41 song if only for how well it's constructed and changes gears multiple times and I like how their first album had a lot of old school metal influence. If they would have continued on this style, they probably would still be really popular.

My my main problem with pop punk in general is how much it sounds like Sub-Ramones material. When a band takes the concept of "pop" and "punk" like the Smoking Popes did and makes something original, I think that's real pop punk in the way the Ramones intended it to be.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The Queers are probably my favorite pop punk group overall. I nearly added Love Songs for the Retarded, if there wasn't more than one taboo word in that combination.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on August 09, 2011, 04:19:42 AM
What do you all think of other pop-punk, stuff like Sum 41 or (yes, I love 'em) Blink-182?  Or even Paramore?  I kind of know some of your opinions, but after reading you talk about Green Day as pop-punk, I'm curious to hear what you think about the stuff that is actually popier.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I like Paramore. I will unabashedly admit I'm a fan. Ever since I heard "Misery Business" on the radio back in 2007, and subsequently went out and bought "Riot!" days later, I've loved 'em. Hayley Williams being all kinds of awesome certainly doesn't hurt, either.  ;)

Honestly, I don't really mind Blink-182 or Sum 41 either... but I will say that I liked 'em both more as a kid. Especially Blink-182; most of their music now doesn't really do so much for me as it used to. I still like "Dammit", though; that's a fun song.

Commode

I like Paramore too, but I got into them earlier than that.  A girl I was going out with in high school introduced me to them, we even went to one of their concerts together.  The band has always held a spot in my heart since then.  And yeah, it doesn't hurt that Hayley is pretty hot(I like redheads).

Avaitor

There's something about Hayley that rubs me the wrong way, and ruins any possibility for me to get into Paramore. Not her looks, since she's fairly attractive. I can't put the blame on her attitude, since I don't pay enough attention to the band to know much about them. And while I don't think she's a very good singer, I think it delves deeper than just her voice.

I don't like them much at all, but they seem to be doing the right thing for other people. They're easily the most popular rock band out there now, although I'd argue that some stuff, like "The Only Exception", borderlines on pop.

New blog!

Commode

Listening to their cover of GnR's "My Michelle", I'm wondering, what do you all think of AFI, if you've even listened to them much? I'm not too fond of their recent material(Decemberunderground was tolerable, everything since is eh), but I'm a huge fan of their early stuff, and Sing the Sorrow is one of my favorite albums ever, every song on the album is awesome.

Thoughts?

Spark Of Spirit

They don't really do anything for me either way, honestly. They have a few good songs, but they're not really my style.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't really hate either eras of them, but I don't really care for them at all, either. AFI is kind of just there for me.

New blog!

Kiddington

AFI's alright, but they're really nothing special to me. Heh... it's funny you should bring this up; a few days ago, I was actually reminiscing when "Girl's Not Grey" was still getting radio airplay, and I decided to randomly listen to that song again. I think I liked it (and some of their other stuff) back then, but now... I dunno, most of their music just kinda bounces right off me. I don't "hate" them or anything, but I'm not really a fan.

Kiddington

Alter Bridge

Take out Scott Stapp, leave the rest of Creed, and what do you get? This, apparently. And it's just as bad as you might imagine.

Avaitor

All I really know about them is that the singer is working for Slash now. Never heard his voice, though.

Also, am I the only one who hates The Offspring? Even people who don't like pop punk stuff seem to love them, and I feel left out, since I can't stand anything they've ever done.

New blog!

Kiddington

Depends. Couple of their songs are OK, if I'm in the right mood... but I'll never understand how or why Americana became as popular as it did. It goes without saying that a certain song off of that album is one of the dumbest, most outright ridiculous things I've ever heard... and you know which song I'm talking about. It kinda makes me laugh now that I think about it, but I wouldn't exactly say that's a good thing.

Their most recent album (the one from 2008-2009-ish) is also garbage. Most of their stuff, though, I'm pretty much indifferent about. Some of it's OK, some of it's stupid, but most of it doesn't really do anything for me either way.