Bands You Hate & Why

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 08, 2011, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

They're a kid / young teenager band to me. They seem awesome when you listen to them as a kid, but when you get older... it just doesn't hold up anymore.

Certain bands feel that way to me like the Offspring and NoFX. I just can't listen to their songs anymore without feeling ridiculous.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Americana, along with Dookie, was my first CD that I bought with my own money(I remember when every kid in my fifth grade class was singing "He asked for a 13 but they drew a 31").  Unfortunately, aside from songs like The Kids Aren't Alright, that's the only positive thing I can really say about it. I guess I've kind of outgrown The Offspring as well, but a few songs, notably "Gone Away" and "Bad Habit", I still like to listen too.

And shit, maybe I am growing up, but I find myself agreeing with you on NOFX, which for years was up there as one of my favorite bands, but now I'm finding they are hard to listen to.  I can still jam Punk in Drublic and So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes(their best album in my opinion), but the rest has become pretty tired to me.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Katie Holt

I have to appreciate "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" for poking fun at wiggers. My brother is one, and it's so damn ridiculous.
twitter.com/autistic_pidge

tweet me if you wish

now back after a long absence with a different display name. yeah

Avaitor

Would you guys care to listen to a mix-match of "Baby" and "Psychosocial"?

I'll save you the agony.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

You can add both of M4L's "suggestions" to my hate list. You know what I'm talking about.

His taste in music is so hilariously awful.

Commode

I wouldn't say I hate A7X, it's just that they are like Rise Against to me.  I used to like them, but over time the music just got more bland and boring that I lost interest.

Five Finger Death Punch is more of that nu-metal trash in the same vein as Disturbed or Godsmack.  Their cover of Bad Company's "Bad Company" is up there as the worst cover I've had the mispleasure to hear, along with the covers of "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Simple Man"(oddly, didn't find Godsmack's cover of Zep's "Good Times Bad Times" too offensive).

Oh yeah, this should go without saying, but I really hate ICP.  Some dude was listening to the shit at work the other day, and I so badly wanted to shoot something.

Avaitor

I've mentioned that I don't care for The Cure at all, but lately I've been trying to give them more of a chance. It turns out that I do really like some of their compositions, especially their lengthier jams.

But I realize just why I can't get into them- I hate Robert Smith. Like, a lot. Now, since I don't know him, I can't say that it's a matter of personality, but everything about him musically- his voice, his lyrics, his guitar work and songwriting- irks me to no end. The rhythm section is usually solid ,but I can't get into what's beyond that.

New blog!

Commode

The Cure was a high school band for me, as were The Smiths, I haven't really listened to either of them since then.  I haven't had a desire to listen to them, guess I'm just content with letting them stay in that little piece of time.

No-Personality

Matchbox 20.

It's Matchbox 20- Do I need a reason?
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Markness

Quote from: Commode on October 16, 2011, 07:23:14 PM
I wouldn't say I hate A7X, it's just that they are like Rise Against to me.  I used to like them, but over time the music just got more bland and boring that I lost interest.

Five Finger Death Punch is more of that nu-metal trash in the same vein as Disturbed or Godsmack.  Their cover of Bad Company's "Bad Company" is up there as the worst cover I've had the mispleasure to hear, along with the covers of "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Simple Man"(oddly, didn't find Godsmack's cover of Zep's "Good Times Bad Times" too offensive).

Oh yeah, this should go without saying, but I really hate ICP.  Some dude was listening to the shit at work the other day, and I so badly wanted to shoot something.

Never saw what made A7X all that they were cracked up to be. I used to like stuff like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God since they were musically more interesting than the nu metal and hard rock at the time but when I heard more 80's and 90's metal, I realized they weren't as good as I used to think.

Those three bands I refer to as "Fort Hood Metal". Silly macho posturing and trying too hard patriotism.

ICP still exists?

Avaitor

I'm still not much for Lamb of God, but Chris Adler's a heck of a drummer. His recent work on the new Megadeth was especially solid.

New blog!

Markness

The band is certainly talented. It's just their style isn't very original. Same with Shadows Fall. I remember reading Guitar World magazines years ago and the guitarists for SF would talk about how formulaic and predictable nu metal was and how they were going to wipe it out. It's so funny since the whole New Wave of American Metal movement ended up in the same boat!

Avaitor

Yeah, it really did. It seemed like bands such as LOG, SF, Killswitch Engage, etc, were on the tracks to be the next thing in metal, but were more of just a quick placeholder for when nu died out. Nowadays, it seems like sludge (Baroness, Mastodon, High on Fire) or proggy acts (Opeth, Deafheaven, Periphery) are among the bigger ones today.

You know, I almost saw Shadows Fall live before, when they were a part of this mini-festival Anthrax were headlining a few years ago. HOF were my top priority, but they and SF were kicked out for the show, since it was at the House of Blues on Disney, and they're picky about what metal acts can play there. So it ended up just being Anthrax, Holy Grail, and Municipal Waste, and I could live without seeing any of these live (although I do like the former 2), so I bailed.

New blog!

Markness

Out of the sludge bands you listed, I love Mastodon. I've seen them live twice and own all their albums. I like their warm guitar tones and soundscapes.

Odd they would kick out Shadows Fall but keep Anthrax and Municipal Waste on. Shadows Fall are pretty tame in comparsion to those bands.