First Person Shooters: The Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 09, 2011, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, I plan on playing DOOM II one of these days. I haven't touched the game since I tried a few stages of it on the PC over 10 years ago, so I remember nothing about it, but even if it was just more of the same of the first game it would still be awesome. I have heard that its at least twice as good which makes me want to get it even more. The reason that I've been holding off is because after beating the first game again last year I wanted to leave a bit of a gap in time before playing DOOM II so as not to hamper my enjoyment of it (as much as I love the first game, its formula could get repetitive so I didn't want to get burned out on playing DOOM II half way into the game). Of course its been more than long enough since I touched the first game, so I can jump into the sequel the next tiem I get a chance to, which will probably be after I beat Resident Evil 4 (and possibly Arkham City as well if I end up getting that for my birthday).

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on October 07, 2011, 11:23:43 PM
I still need to play Deus Ex, System Shock 1 and 2, and a few other PC classics, but I look forward to eventually playing them.
Those aren't really shooters... I mean, you can easily blast through Human Revolution like an FPS, but if you try to play the original Deus Ex or System Shock 2 like a shooter, you're going to be both frustrated and disappointed.

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter is far better than the first. It's also a LOT harder. In a good way. ;)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on October 07, 2011, 09:40:32 PM
Crysis is okay. The first half is absolutely awesome, but the second half really sucks. It's fun, but outside of the first few levels, it's more of a tech demo than anything.

If you're looking for a cheap FPS, I'd recommend getting either of the Serious Sam HD games. Both are fun as hell.
NOO! I played the First Encounter or w/e it's called demo and it's too much of a grind. Please give me other console port recs.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Yeah, Serious Sam is a really hard game. Personally, I can't see it being playable with a gamepad, but you guys are a LOT better at console shooters than I am.

Have you tried Painkiller? There's an Xbox version that I remember being just as good as the original on PC.

The original Half-Life also has a pretty decent PS2 port, but there's a good chance that your computer can play the PC version since it's so old.

gunswordfist

I definitely want to play Painkiller. Fragfests are favorite type of shooter.

My little brother downloaded Half-Life for us back in high school (and Max Payne) Fuck yes.

Foggle

Serious Sam 3: BFE. Good lord. Greatest old-school FPS since Painkiller. Even better than Hard Reset.

Desen and E-K, y'all motherfuckers MUST get this game once the console version comes out.

Spark Of Spirit

I never played 2 (not TSE, I mean the actual 2), I heard pretty bad things about it. Did this one really manage to live up to the originals?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Yeah, it definitely lives up to the originals. It's basically The Third Encounter.

Serious Sam 2 isn't that bad, btw. The cutscenes are trash and it's nothing compared to the other games, but it's still very fun.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't played a Serious Sam game before but I'll definitely look into it. ;)

As far as FPS games, I was looking into Goldeneye Reloaded, but it looks like its been getting very mixed reception. It seems that both fans and critics agree that its somehow genuinely inferior to the Wii version of the game, though some say its still good and worth picking up whereas others say that the HD console version is a big downgrade and merely an average game. Has anyone else played Goldeneye on the X360 or PS3? If so, would you say its worth getting over other FPS games available?

I was thinking of putting it on my Christmas list, so I was just curious to find out.

Foggle

The First and Second Encounters both have demos on the XBLA store. You should give 'em a try!

I've played a decent amount of my friend's Goldeneye Reloaded game. I thought it was pretty damn good. Never tried the Wii version, though.

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't tried the HD version, sorry. The Wii version is great, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Gametrailers has best FPS of all time list. This is what it is:

10. Unreal Tournament
9. Doom
8. Team Fortress 2
7. Battlefield 2
6. Starsiege: Tribes
5. Halo 3
4. Half-Life 2
3. Counter-Strike
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
1. GoldenEye 64

It is wrong.

gunswordfist

Well as long as Perfect Dark isn't on the list... :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm surprised that BioShock isn't on this list given how much GT usually loves to suck that game's dick. I mean, I like it too, but GT praises that thing up the ass, yet its somehow not present on this list.

Anyways, here are my thoughts:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 05, 2012, 05:18:27 PM
10. Unreal Tournament

Haven't played any of the Unreal games, so no opinion.

Quote9. Doom

Should probably be DOOM II, but haven't played it yet, and still need to finish the first one.

Quote8. Team Fortress 2

I still don't get it....

Quote7. Battlefield 2

Haven't played; no opinion.

Quote6. Starsiege: Tribes

Same as above.

Quote5. Halo 3

Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo: Reach have far better campaign modes, but I guess multiplayer trumps everything....even if nobody plays this game online anymore

Quote4. Half-Life 2

Reasonable pick for the top 5, IMO.

Quote3. Counter-Strike

Can't really get into online multiplayer games, but it probably deserves this rank I guess.

Quote2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Set this about 8 spaces back and its placement might make sense.

Quote1. GoldenEye 64

:lol:....And GT likes to criticize other people of supporting old games through blind nostalgia....yet somehow Goldeneye is better than every shooter that ever came out, including PC shooters and its own spiritual successor, Perfect Dark, which most people would say is the superior Rare FPS games.