"Alien" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, August 10, 2011, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

I originally made this in 2004. Enjoy!

In space no one can hear you scream.

Lambert: "You admire it?"
Ash: "I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."

Release Date: October 29, 2003 (limited; original release: May, 1979)
Studio: 20th Century Fox/Brandywine Productions
Director: Ridley Scott
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Harry Dean Stanton, Veronica Cartwright, Yaphet Kotto, Bolaji Badejo, Helen Horton (voice)

Plot summary: When Weyland-Yutani commercial towing vehicle Nostromo, heading back to Earth, intercepts an SoS signal from the nearby planet of Acheron in Zeta II Reticuli, the crew are under obligation to investigate. After a bad landing on the planet, some crew members leave the ship to explore the area. At the same time as they discover a hive colony of some unknown creature, the ship's computer deciphers the message to be a warning, not a call for help. When one of the eggs is disturbed, the crew do not know the danger they are in until it is too late.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #2

Spark Of Spirit

This scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Great, great, great movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

One of my favorite horror movies and also one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Easily the best film to combine the 2 genres, IMO. While I prefer the sequel through James Cameron's directing, one thing I feel that Ridley Scott's film did that was superior to the sequel was how brilliantly the atmosphere was crafted. As a viewer I really bought the feeling of a crew isolated in a completely unpopulated part of space, and I could just feel the tension rise when the ship was all quiet except for "natural" noises of machinery and stuff you would expect on a ship going on in the background. Overall, this movie perfectly captures the feeling of tension and suspense, which is a must for any good horror movie to actually creep you out. The characters are also interesting enough to keep you watching to see if they live or die.

gunswordfist

i liked this a lot more than aliens.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

It's a winning scenario no matter which of the two Alien movies one likes more.

gunswordfist

very true! not many series have a good sequel by another director.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody