"Alien 3" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, August 13, 2011, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

3 Times the Suspense. 3 Times the Danger. 3 Times the Terror.

Release Date:May 22, 1992
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: David Fincher
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Charles Dance, Paul McGann, Brian Glover, Charles S. Dutton

Plot Summary: The film begins on board an escape vessel in which Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and a droid called Bishop are traveling on. The pod crashes on a planet inhabited by prisoners who have been left to govern themselves in a facility, killing Newt, Hicks, and destroying Bishop. Ripley is revived from her cryo-sleep from the prison doctor and soon discovers what happened to her and her remaining crew members. After calling for assistance from the Company they wait for Ripley to be transported off the planet, as she doesn't belong there. After a short time, a shaven-headed Ripley starts discovering that prisoners are being killed in a very similar manner to that of the Aliens she has faced in the previous two films. Once this is discovered, she and the remaining prisoners must devise a plan to kill the Alien that stalks the prison facility, hiding in ventilation shafts. However, she soon discovers that that it isn't the only Alien on the planet. There is also a Queen, but where?

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #4

This is the one installment of the original franchise that I completely detest. The script is so fundamentally flawed on so many levels that its nearly impossible to watch without causing your skull to pop out. At least Alien Resurrection is kinda fun if you approach it as a very black comedy but Alien3 ?... ugh.

Spark Of Spirit

Way to shit on one of the greatest movies of all time for no fucking reason and then rehash one of the other greatest movies of all time in every lesser way you can think of because you think you know better when you don't even understand how the themes wrapped around. Alien stood alone, Cameron made a sequel without fucking with the original and yet still made his vision connected to the first one. They both work as standalone and as a series because of it. This ass hat comes out of nowhere and says, "Yeah, that awesome movie everyone loves? Yeah, none of that matters. Here's the same movie from 1979 that you loved only with half baked themes that have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the last two movies that you loved. Enjoy!"

This and Terminator 3 can go fuck themselves and in my mind are retconned out of existence for being little more than fanfiction with a budget. Ripley made it home with her new family and the ordeal (the ordeal meaning everything from the start of Alien, the time gap, and the events of Aliens) had finally ended. If Fincher didn't want to make a sequel to Aliens, then he shouldn't have bothered to make a sequel to Aliens. He had nothing whatsoever to give to the franchise, and if audiences wanted another movie exactly like Alien only shittier then no one told me. But, oh yeah, they didn't.

Oh yeah, and Resurrection may suck, but that's just a bad movie. This was a franchise killer.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

I like to think the third and fourth movies don't exist since the Alien Queen lost her ability to lay eggs when her sack got blown up by Ripley. Therefore there's very little way that egg could have got on board the Sulaco in the first place.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on August 13, 2011, 06:32:58 PM
I like to think the third and fourth movies don't exist since the Alien Queen lost her ability to lay eggs when her sack got blown up by Ripley. Therefore there's very little way that egg could have got on board the Sulaco in the first place.
Yeah, there's that too. That's a trick a third tier horror writer would use.

I know they just wanted a third movie out bad enough to push this crap out, but I mean, I'm sure they could have done better than this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I've honestly been avoiding everything after Aliens, for good cause. I've seen a little of this one, however, and from what I can recall of that, I can see how this kills the franchise.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Foggle

Fuck Alien 3. I actually didn't hate Resurrection as much as most people, since it was hilariously bad instead of just plain awful... this one should have never been made.

As far as I'm concerned, Gearbox and WayForward are still working on the 3rd and 4th installments in this franchise. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm sorry, but does this movie even exist? I mean, the thought of a film that deliberately goes out of its way to give the middle finger to all of the events and themes of the first (and only) 2 Alien films and totally fuck up the series's quality with terrible writing and directing is just ridiculous. You all must be delusional if you think such a travesty of a film truly exists. :sly:

Aurora

I'm gonna commit heresey and say that....I like this film!  ;D  Though flawed thanks to a silly plot hole at the start, overall the film was a dark and unexpected path to follow our heroine on. Sigourney Weaver was really good here, I thought, and I really like how she sacrifices herself not only in an attempt to save humanity from the company by robbing them of the alien, but the queen they were so desperate to possess. Alien:R falls apart because it came off as campy, a parody of what the series used to be. While Sigourney manages to have a few good moments here and there, I found the whole thing to be disconnected and uninteresting. The characters were all goofy, and Brad Dourif embarrasses himself as a mad scientist. The less said about Ron Perlman the better. The flesh colored alien with tits was also silly. I just couldn't take the film seriously at all. there may have been an interesting base idea floating around in that mess somewhere, but the way it was brought to the screen was just awful.

Also, I don't think Fincher is too blame completely for Alien 3's "failure". Alien 3 was butchered by the studios but the assembly cut was a decent enough of a cut imo.

Come at me haters!  :)

Spark Of Spirit

Not much of a bump, but reading about the new Alien game and this was mentioned:

QuoteOne, the Sega-published shooter has been inducted into the ?official canon? of the Alien universe by 20th Century Fox. Chris Faylor, the Community Manager for developer Gearbox Software, told us that all previous expanded universe material (including the novels, the comics, and all the Alien vs Predator stuff) has been thrown out. The only productions currently considered canon are the first four films (yes, even Alien 3), Aliens: Colonial Marines, and maybe Ridley Scott?s Prometheus (since there?s still the possibility it?s not a prequel).

Quoteyes, even Alien 3
For the love of all that is sacred.... WHY? Nobody including the director even likes this film or what it did to the series. Just retcon it out. It's not that hard. It's not like anything of consequence even happened in it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's....not something I wanted to hear, honestly.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 10, 2012, 10:20:45 PM
It's not like anything of consequence even happened in it.

It killed off all of the survivors from Aliens, who grew to be quite likable characters, IMO, so I was pissed to see them just being lazily written off by being killed off-screen after a whole movie of having them fight for their lives to survive. It even killed off Ripley. So, yeah, I would say that's something of BIG consequence when the main character of a series/franchise gets killed off.

That said, I consider something like that all the more reason to just consider Alien 3 non-canon.

Dr. Insomniac

I have never seen this movie and have no intention of doing so in the near future. Some may call me ignorant, but tis best for my sanity.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 11, 2012, 12:04:55 AM
I have never seen this movie and have no intention of doing so in the near future. Some may call me ignorant, but tis best for my sanity.
Yeah, Alien 3 makes Resurrection look like a masterpiece. Just stick to the first two, Prometheus, and Colonial Marines.

Spark Of Spirit

Infestation is a pretty good mid-quel between Aliens and Colonial Marines.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 11, 2012, 12:01:04 AM
That's....not something I wanted to hear, honestly.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 10, 2012, 10:20:45 PM
It's not like anything of consequence even happened in it.

It killed off all of the survivors from Aliens, who grew to be quite likable characters, IMO, so I was pissed to see them just being lazily written off by being killed off-screen after a whole movie of having them fight for their lives to survive. It even killed off Ripley. So, yeah, I would say that's something of BIG consequence when the main character of a series/franchise gets killed off.

That said, I consider something like that all the more reason to just consider Alien 3 non-canon.
Well, I mean it doesn't have any bearing on anything that comes after it short of why Ripley is in Resurrection. In its own little world where David Fincher spat all over James Cameron and everyone who was in or loved the second movie it changed everything for the worse... But because it's so hated, they never continued after it which made it inconsequential.

Which is why I have no idea why they're leaving it (and Resurrection) in canon when they always try hard to erase it.

I mean, look at all the games, all of them take place around Aliens or hundreds of years after it. None of them have anything to do with Alien 3 at all. Even those comics and books they de-canonized... Most avoid it and pretend it never happened.

If they want the series to get back on its feet again, they need to cut the fat.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 11, 2012, 12:09:44 AM
Infestation is a pretty good mid-quel between Aliens and Colonial Marines.
Is that the WayForward game? Can't believe I forgot about it! :(