Author Topic: Favorite Manga  (Read 7664 times)

gunswordfist

• Elite Beat Agents
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
Re: Favorite Manga
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:37 AM »
Literaly the first time I've ever heard of Dr. Stone.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2017, 02:04:25 AM »
It started this year. It's a series by the writer of Eyeshield 21 and the man behind Sun-Ken Rock. Dr. Stone really does feel like a combination of the two of them.

It's gonna be a while before it gets an anime, though. In the meantime, you might enjoy Kimetsu no Yaiba. That'll probably be getting an anime by the end of next year.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
I've had my issues with some of SEW's videos lately, but this look back at what Shonen Jump was like 30 years ago is one of the better ones that he's put out in a while: https://youtu.be/wIh85_bCudk

VLordGTZ

• A guy with too much time on his hands
  • The Elephant's Peanut
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »
Yeah, this was a far better effort than his previous Jump video! My only gripe with it is that he seems to brush off the importance of Jump's 80s gag manga at the end by claiming they've been forgotten by time, which is simply not the case.  Sannen/High School Kimengumi ran for 26 volumes in total and had an 86 ep anime plus a movie.  I think that's enough to say it was a success (he also wasn't aware that Sannen and the movie have English fan-translations).  Plus, both Kimengumi and Tonchinkan are available on digital platforms like BookWalker and Ebook Japan, so it's not like they aren't accessible nowadays.  They just aren't fully translated like the vast majority of gag manga.  Still though, those are only minor problems since the core focus of his video was the masculinity aspect of 80s Jump manga, which he handled quite well.