Favorite Manga

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2011, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

...i had no clue berserk was still running.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 20, 2015, 06:43:06 PM
...i had no clue berserk was still running.
Running? More like casually grazing on the side of the road.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

He needs to stop getting distracted by IdolM@ster in all honesty.  .3.

LumRanmaYasha

It's been over a year since I last posted a favorite manga list, and over a year and a half where I posted one where I actually posted a list with explanations, so I might as well post an updated version. I'll go with a Top 20 this time since I have legitimately read enough manga I feel very strongly about for that to be a meaningful limit. These won't be elaborate explanations, or anything, but I like explaining what I like about things so I'll give you the jist of how I feel about these:

20. BECK

After watching the anime, I had to seek out the manga and read the remainder of the story, and I loved it start to finish. While I'm not the most knowledgeable person about music, I appreciated the passion the series had for the subject and it's commentary on the state of the music industry. It's also just a really strongly written underdog story about characters trying their damnedest and working incredibly hard to succeed in a highly competitive and fickle industry, where their efforts were not always rewarded and a lot of luck and knowing the right people counted a lot in their ultimate success. The portrayal of music in a soundless medium is absolutely masterful and the intensity and impact Sakuichi managed to bring out in so many of the scenes where he just shows the characters playing an instrument or singing their lungs out is just phenomenal and a brilliant showcase of comics' ability to tell all kinds of stories powerfully even without the advantages television and film have over it. I loved reading the characters' journey, their emotional development and growth over the course of the story, and all the struggles and adversities they conquered along the way. There are other manga about making music I've heard great things about and have yet to read, but if there really exists one that is truly better than BECK, I'll be pleasantly surprised, because it is an ace series and one of the best down-to-earth "realistic" slice-of-life manga I've ever read.

19. Billy Bat

Depending on where the climax of the series goes, Billy Bat could potentially end up as my favorite of Urasawa's works. An intricate plot with layers spanning across multiple centuries and a psychological mystery that never stops surprising, it's some of his finest work to date with everything as ace as you'd expect from a Urasawa thriller. I love the expanded cast of characters and their stories, and seeing how it all ties together building up to something BIG, whatever that will really be (I'm still expecting Urasawa to pull a fast one). Kevin Goodman is also probably one of my all time favorite characters from him at this point too, and it's cool to see a black main character in a manga (main character as in
Spoiler
THE central protagonist of the second half of the series
[close]
. It's more of what you'd expect from Urasawa, but with his most ambitious plot developments, twists and turns, and scope yet, and though the chapters might come out rather inconsistently, I find it a blast to keep up with.

18. 20th Century Boys

Massive in scope, a huge cast of well-developed and memorable characters, and an intriguing mystery tied in childhood memories, nostalgia, and all because someone just couldn't grow up. There are a few weak spots in the series for me in the third act, but those are so minor considering how excellent the story that's told is overall, and how intense a page-turner it is from start to finish. Guta la la, Suda la la.

17. Rurouni Kenshin

A story about change and what it means to change, with one of the most fascinating main protagonists in a battle-shonen with one of the most satisfying character arcs. In terms of handling it's core themes and developing them alongside it's main character's journey to redemption as well as the supporting cast's diversity and development, I'd consider it the most consistently well-written battle-shonen to come out of Jump on a narrative and character level.

16. A Drifting Life

There are many manga about making manga that I like, but Yoshihiro Tatsumi's autobiographical manga is firmly my favorite. Fascinating as a look into the development of japanese society through a multi-decade period post-WW2, showing the development of the manga industry and how it changed over time, and the creation of the gekiga movement and the contributions of several early creators into making manga a medium not simply viewed a juvenile children's entertainment, most unfortunately unremembered today. It's an outstanding record of how far both japanese society and the medium of manga has come from it's lowest points and a respectful celebration of the many forgotten young artists who worked hard to make that happen. It's also a testament to Tatsumi's career and his role in the development of the industry as he's seen it develop from a multi-decade period and the hard work it took for him to achieve his dreams and all the sacrifices, tragedies, and adversities that he struggled to conquer along the way. Consider it's placement on the list also a reflection of my appreciation for Tatsumi's works in general, with A Drifting Life standing as representative of everything that he and his old companions stood for and fought for to help diversify the appeal of manga and make it a respectable art from, and the unconventional and deeply intimate and "human" stories he continues to draw and publish to this day.

15. Vinland Saga

I thought the series was ace in it's first part, but the "Ketil Farm" arc is what truly elevated the series to a whole new level for me. Thorfinn's development from a rage-blinded anti-villain to a true hero who is willing to stand up for what he believes is right and has sworn to a path of no-violence is phenomenal and complemented by strong themes about the value of life, redemption, forgiveness, how far one is willing to go and how how he will go in order to achieve his ends, among others. I highly appreciate the direction the series has gone and the story it's told and I'm sure the series can only continue to get even better from here as Thorfinn and co. embark on their risky journey to colonize a new land.

14. Vagabond

A story about what it means to be strong and what it takes to be strong, how far you'll go to reach the top and for what you are fighting for, Takehiko Inoue creates another phenomenal manga exploring the human condition and the development of Musashi from a fight-hungry thug to a respectable and honorable swordsman and human being. It boasts some of the best artwork I've ever seen in any comic and is a fascinating interpretation of the story of the most legendary japanese swordsman and their respective growth in skill and fame, all building up to when their paths cross once again and they have their ultimate clash at Kokura (which will presumably be the climax of the series).

13. REAL

That said, this is my favorite work of Inoue's. A highly realistic and down to earth treatment of it's subject matter with three very moving central protagonists, who all have suffered different tragedies and adversities in life, but all ultimately find a common passion in wheelchair basketball. With well-defined and nuanced characters with powerful stories and great development through the course of the story, it's exemplary of the kinds of stories you are far more likely to find in manga than in american comics, handled maturely and expertly while never feeling didactic or forced in it's messages. An excellently written and purely character-driven series that shows people overcoming adversity in admirable and awe-inspiring ways, with their shared passion for a sport they love tying their stories and lives together, while giving them hope for their futures, and bettering themselves as people.

12. Silver Spoon

Silver Spoon is not just a manga about the intricacies and behind the scenes aspects of farming, but at it's core a story about maturing to adulthood and working hard towards achieving your goals in life whatever they may be. Life is not easy and the characters are faced with many obstacles, self-doubts, and personal struggles in their endeavors, but through Hachiken's outside outlook and way of thinking both him and his friends slowly are able to stand up and resolve themselves to do what they are passionate about and do whatever it takes to achieve their dreams. Hachiken is one of my favorite manga characters ever. He is smart, but not naturally smart, but rather because he works hard and applies himself to everything that he does, and even then his efforts don't always pay off and he doesn't have all the answers, both literally and metaphysically. But at heart he is a good person and is willing to take on risks and help other people without hesitation, which earns him respect and friends to support him, helps him expand his horizons and grow as a person, and become more sociable and confident in himself as the series goes on. I love the growth of all the characters and their series and their efforts to earn their futures with their own hands rather than go with the flow of things and against any odds in their way. It is a phenomenal series and by far my favorite ongoing shonen manga, and second favorite ongoing manga period, and though it pains me waiting for a new chapter because of how sporadically they come out, when they do they never, ever disappoint.

11. A Silent Voice

Geez, what do you expect me to say about ASV that I haven't said so many times before? A tightly written and powerful story about the consequences of bullying, the effects of social ostraziation, redemption, what it takes to forgive and be forgiven, the value of friends and trust in other people, and so, so much more developed astoundingly well in a complete and self-contained story with no extraneous elements and little to no weak moments or questionable writing to speak of. Every character is well fleshed out and shown to be three dimensional and sympathetic people with understandable reasons for being how they are and behaving the way they do, and the story takes no easy routes and goes full out with exploring it's concept while never becoming unnecessarily dark nor straying from the core and ultimately optimistic messages it wants to portray. It could have easily been a didactic and over-indulgent PSA, but instead it proved to be a profound, introspective, and extremely moving series that made for one of the greatest experiences I've ever had following a currently running manga series that I'll always remember fondly. I will say confidently that this was the best shonen manga if not the best manga in general to have come out this decade so far and I'll be shocked if much if anything can unseat it from that honor. And even if something does, it'll still unquestionably be remembered in the future as one of the best manga ever made.

LumRanmaYasha

10. Princess Jellyfish

A story about how we are all a little bit nerdy and awkward about something or another on the inside, but how our passions and sharing those passions brings us together and inspires great things and lasting relationships. Princess Jellyfish is a brilliant exploration of what makes people who they are and how everyone, no matter their outward appearances and behaviors and interests, share the same insecurities, desires, and passions as anyone else and if given the chance has something unique that only they can offer to the world and those close to them. It's about opening yourself up to people, sharing your triumphs and failures with them, and working together to create something only you can for both yourself and the people you care about and who care about you. Often funny, often emotional, and often inspiring, it's firmly my favorite currently running manga and until it ends it'll most likely stay that way.

9. Monster

What makes a man a monster? Does he become one through the experiences he has, or is he one from the start? Monster asks this question and through an intricate and complex story of eschewed memories, forgotten pasts, and lost histories ultimately comes to a meaningful conclusion. Moreover it's the story of a man who struggles with figuring out how to do the right thing, and what it means and takes to do the right thing, and by the end of the series, he's found his answer. Monster is on everyone's list here and if it isn't it's probably because you haven't read it yet, and I'm sure most love it for much the same reasons. It's a masterful work with possibly the most fascinating antagonist and one of the most endearing protagonists to ever come out of any manga, and it is near universally beloved for good reason.

8. Barefoot Gen

Gen is an ANGRY manga. It does not hide how it feels about what was happening to people in pre and post-WW2 Japan, specifically Hiroshima, and all the shit that people went through. It yells at the top of it's lungs "FUCK YOU!" time and again at those at blame for the war and it's consequences and is solely concerned in dealing with the struggles of the people in Hiroshima and the devastating consequences of the atomic bomb. It is a semi-autobiographical work based on the mangaka's own experiences living through that hell and reflects his anger and resentment towards those times strongly. It is because it is based so tightly in reality that the events portrayed in the manga are so horrifying, sickening, and depresssing. These things happened to those people, people behaved like that, they suffered like that. But they also endured like that. In spite of it's subject matter Gen is not a pessimistic series. While even up until the end things never truly get better for the main characters, the overall tone of the series is optimistic. It shows the perseverance of those people. How they clung to life and fought their damnedest to get by and support their families. It doesn't always work out. Lots of people who try to forward ultimately have their lives end tragically and not on their own terms. At many points some are broken so much they do give up and try to end it all. But Gen never gives up. No matter what happens, he remains strong and decides to keep living forward in honor of his fallen loved ones, and live a good life for their sake. He inspires other people to do the same and fight for their lives and to improve their lives and get by in the toughest and most desperate of times. It's a powerful and awe-inspiring tale of determination and what humans can be capable of in even the most bleak of circumstances. And the way it portrays the consequences of the atomic bomb on ordinary, innocent lives in a genuine and blunt manner holding nothing back not only makes it not only one of the most convincing anti-nuclear weapon messages in fiction but one of the most convincing anti-war stories as well. Inspiring as it is tragic, as emotionally fulfilling a read as it is painful too, it's a true masterwork and even if only half of the series was published in it it's easily the most potent and important story to ever come out of Shonen Jump, and is a politically-driven historical commentary the likes of which you will never, ever see anything like it in modern manga period today.

7. Phoenix

Tezuka's most ambitious work, an eclectic series of tales spanning across different time periods all connected by the presence of the titular Phoenix and the karmic suffering of the character of Gao through multiple reincarnations and generations. These stories rank as some of the greatest Tezuka ever wrote and all were building to a climax that, sadly, he was never able to write before he passed away. But the resulting work still stands as a strong anthology series that stand as a proud accomplishment for Tezuka as a master of his medium and as a storyteller. Every story is unique and tells a fascinating story with messages that will be forever pertinent and all in all you could make a case for any of them to be one of the greatest single volumes of manga ever, though my vote (and most others) is firmly on the fifth story, "Karma," which is perhaps the pinnacle of the entire series (and I wrote about why in length in the Greatest Story Arc list iyrc). All in all it's one of Tezuka's greatest accomplishments in his career as a mangaka and a definitive work for both his body of work and the entire medium as a whole.

6. Buddha

That said, my love for Phoenix is slightly edged out by Buddha, which has the advantage of being a complete story. Buddha is a true epic in every sense of the world, with a vast cast of characters with intricate relations to one another, but what truly sets it apart is how it portrays the development of the Buddha and the creation of buddhism, and Tezuka's incisive and insightful philosophical and religious commentary. Buddha is about figuring out what is the right way to live and how one should live, whether it's right to harm another, and how one might find spiritual fulfillment and happiness in their lives. The story, characters, artwork, layouts, everything in the series is Tezuka at his absolute best and it all works together and builds as one solid and fluid story with a strong end. Phoenix might represent his legacy better, but for me Buddha is his most complete and best work.

5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

JoJo's is everything I ever wanted in a fighting series. For one thing, it's fights don't simply come down to who is stronger than the other, but are more psychological battles requiring finding out the nature of your enemy's ability and outwitting them. The best moments in the series are often not straightforward battles but rather the creative situations and battles of wits that define most of the encounters. Most aren't even fights in a traditional sense, but stuff like card games, rock paper scissors, horse races, and beetle wrestling or situations like getting dragged into a fairy tale story, relieving a past event and trying to escape the inevitable tragedy that happened in it while saving innocent lives, or slowly transformed into a snail due to an after effect caused by your rouge friend's ability in which light rays have been refracted in a way that hypnotizes you into subconsciously thinking you are a snail and thus physically trans-morphing into one and then immediately getting hunted down by swarms of bugs that eat snails. You know, stuff like that. You don't get stuff like that in other battle series, at least not to the extent of creativity and bizarreness that JoJo's exhibits time and time again. But it's not just a fighting series. There are great characters, the artwork is wholly unique, and the underlying mysteries and stories for the best parts are incredibly engaging. My favorite parts, Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run, are incredible in the depth of their stories and their character development alongside the great attributes that make all of JoJo's as special as it is. And each part is strong enough to stand on it's own, so it's like 8 diverse manga all in one. Stone Ocean and SBR alone would both rank in my top ten, but together, alongside all the other parts of JoJo's, they all add up to being a firm top 5 favorite for me. It's everything I've ever wanted to see in an action series of any kind and offers more than enough substance at it's best alongside it's consistently fantastic scenarios, stories, and memorable characters. Araki keeps it fresh by essentially changing what kind of series it is every part, so it could potentially go on for many more arcs and still not lose steam, and I would likely enjoy every second of it. Firmly my favorite Shonen Jump manga and battle-shonen manga period. (NOTE: Though JoJo's is currently running and hence should technically be my favorite ongoing manga, I'm evaluating JoJolion separately from the previous parts, and on those terms that's behind some of the other currently running series on my list.)

4. Maison Ikkoku

The best example of any story where the main couple does not get together until the very end that I've ever seen, this is certainly Rumiko Takahashi's most accessible and mature work and it is rightfully acclaimed as one of the definitive works in manga romance genre if not the definitive work in it period. It is my favorite romance story not just in manga but generally, but one of my all-time favorite protagonists in Yusaku Godai and a story that clicked with me on a level no other romance series or many series in general have ever done before. More than just being a manga about finding love, it's a manga about living life and what it takes to earn respect, happiness, and mature as a human being. It's given me some of the most cathartic and emotional feelings I've ever had reading a manga or watching an anime and the ending is so satisfying for me it is solidly my favorite in the medium. In spite of this, it's not my favorite work by Rumiko Takahashi, but as you can see from it's placement on my list it means an incredible deal to me all the same.

3. Urusei Yatsura

The definitive manga comedy. As in, every manga comedy since has borrowed from tropes, character archetypes, gags, and elements established in it and it's immediate imitators. I love this series so much. Even if it's not my overall favorite, it's probably the one I've been most obsessed with and most passionate about for a good while now. It's inventive, unpredictable, has a unique and creative world full of all sorts of possibilities and capable of doing any concept or story, with an large and iconic ensemble cast with distinct personalities, quirks, and relationships that make this series the special and inimitable gem that it is. Every time I go back and read a chapter I find myself loving it even more. UY is a series with far more soul, passion, wit, and creativity behind it than the bulk of standard anime/manga comedies these days even scratch the surface of, and while it I know it might not appeal to everybody as strongly as it does to me, it's the most I've gotten out of an anime/manga comedy franchise by miles and anime/manga in general by a considerable degree as well. But there is one individual manga comedy I do like a slight bit more, at this point in time...

2. Excel Saga

While UY means more to me and is probably my all-time favorite anime-manga franchise, I consider Excel Saga to be is the most well-written manga comedy I've read. Rikdo writes some of the wittiest and most clever dialogue and humor I've ever read in comics and it clicks with my sense of humor expertly. But what's even better is his case of characters, all of which are likable and uproarious and fun to watch in all sorts of shenanigans and antics. The story that develops in the series is pretty interesting and surprisingly complex to boot, but that's just a nice bonus to the consistently great humor and character interactions it provides. It's a damn shame the digital releases are no longer available, but I'm glad to own every volume on my shelf and be able to enjoy the series over and over again and laugh out loud each and every time.

1. Ashita no Joe

Joe is a series that astounded me by how well-executed it was. Not that I ever underestimated it, but because I have so rarely seen the story it told done so well and so effectively, with a character so fascinating and inspiring, going through tough times that felt relatable and were handled delicately and maturely. It's Joe and his journey, his development from a rough punk from the slums to one of the most beloved people in his community and one of the most skilled and respected boxers in Japan, that really makes the manga for me. He's complimented by other great characters, from Danpei to Yoko, who are all endearing, fascinating, and well-written in their own rights. Joe is a story that meant something to the people who read it in Japan way back when. It was a story that reflected the nature of the troubled times and the hope for success and a better future. It also means something to me. For me it's a story about being obstinate about doing what you love to do (in a good way) and the goals you want to achieve and willing to do anything and risk it all in order to win. I felt for Joe. I cheered him on, I slapped my head when he made a mistake, I felt as devastated as he did when he was at his lowest point, and I felt the energy, the passion, and the drive that characterized his story from beginning to end. I might not gush and obsesses over Joe as much as I do UY, but it edges it out as my favorite because of the character of Joe and his story; where he began, what he endured, believed in, and where it all lead him. It resonated with me on a level that no other manga and few other comics have quite matched, and my appreciation for it grows every time I go back to it. It is unquestionably a classic. Firmly one of the definitive works of the medium. And it is my favorite manga.

Welp, that's my new list! It's interesting how only two series from my original top ten list I first posted in this thread way back when, Excel Saga and Urusei Yatsura, are still on here. I suppose that just reflects how I've read exponentially more series in the last two years than I ever had before, and that rate will probably just continue to grow considering how voluminous my backlog is. There are stuff I'm currently reading or have heard great things about that I think have the potential to crack my top list too, so it'll be interesting to see if it changes significantly again the next time I post one.

gunswordfist

great list! you were a bit harsh on american comics though.

Foggle

Great list! And I'm so glad you love Excel Saga as much as I do. :e_hail: :h_hail: :el_hail:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Awesome list. It's cool to see both Vagabond and REAL in the top 20, and you know that we both agree on AnJ! :thumbup:

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 12, 2015, 12:45:22 AM

Oddly enough, I've slowly been trying to get more into American/Western comics, myself. As much as I love manga, I don't want to limit myself to comics from just one culture. Hence why I've been reading Knightfall (which is excellent, BTW) and plan to get back into The Walking Dead, soon.

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks, guys!

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 12, 2015, 12:45:22 AM

Really? If it came across that way, I certainly didn't intend it to. I love comics from lots of different cultures!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I didn't seem to notice any comments knocking American comic books, myself.

That said, while I don't generalize anything based on culture, I will say that I generally prefer independent comics (like The Walking Dead) or stand alone stories (like Watchmen) to the more heavily serialized stuff from Marvel and DC; not to say that there is no great content there, but rather that the independent stuff is more accesible for me.

gunswordfist

no problem then. :)

i used to think manga was too weird and/or cliched to get into but reading enough of it changed my mind.

also, i need to get back to reading the walking dead myself. it has been 2 years since i've read a comic of any kind. new volumes of american vampire are calling me...

Markness

Epic list, Cartoon X!  :e_hail: :h_hail: :el_hail: Out of all the ones on your list, I've only read Rurouni Kenshin, Vinland Saga, JJBA, and Excel Saga so I need to step up my game. The lists I have seen here are certainly more diverse than what I have witnessed on other forums.

I really like 90s comics but it feels like a lot of people hate them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Really?

I thought that there were supposed to be a lot of classics from the 90's.

Markness

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2015, 09:15:12 AM
Really?

I thought that there were supposed to be a lot of classics from the 90's.

I've read a lot of posts from various forums saying things like "The 90s was the dark age of comics!", "Rob Liefield fucking sucks!", "Too many gimmicks!", "Crossovers suck!", and the list goes on. I don't let those things stop me, though.

90s manga doesn't really get any serious bashing and you certainly won't see me bashing it. Battle Angel Alita and Eden It's An Endless World! have some of the best art in manga, period.

Foggle

Quote from: Markness on February 12, 2015, 12:54:52 PM
I've read a lot of posts from various forums saying things like "The 90s was the dark age of comics!", "Rob Liefield fucking sucks!", "Too many gimmicks!", "Crossovers suck!", and the list goes on. I don't let those things stop me, though.
I actually agree with all those statements, but there are still plenty of excellent 90's comics out there, even in superhero land. Like, well, Knightfall, and Joe Kelly's Deadpool run. :)