Favorite Manga

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2011, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

A lot of those are nowhere near must reads. But the series you probably heard of already are worth being on there. If you're going to include Shonan Junai Gumi and not have Today It's My Turn, well, that's just odd. X is Clamp's best work, but like, there's no ending so...? No Rurouni Kenshin, Ashita no Joe, Rokudenashi Blues, or anything by Mitsuru Adachi, are also glaring misses.

The anime one is a bit better. But there are head-scratchers. I mean, there's no sense in having Patlabor 2 be the only thing from the franchise here. The only must see Gundam series is really 0080 to see if the franchise is even for you at all. The lack of Macross, Trigun, Yamato, Escaflowne, or the series they actually removed at the end hurts it a good deal. There's also a few series that are really obscure that most will not like at all.

Tread carefully with both lists.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

There's some good stuff on here, and a couple of things that have my head scratching. But I am curious about some of the ones Im not as familiar with.

And it looks like some of the people who made this list, according to their MALs, are AnJ and YYH fans, so I'm surprised that they're missing.

As for Gundam, the original and Zeta are my favorite full-length series, so I support their inclusion. But I do feel that the best primer for the franchise, primarily UC, is the MSG trilogy and 0080, especially as the changes to the MSG movies are considered canon now. If you want to watch the series instead, you might be fine, but these are my personal recommendations.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dreamer2

Michiko & Hatchin? Really? Very well might be the most boring show I've ever watched. With terribly uninteresting characters. Even if I don't like stuff like JoJo or Madoka, I can kind of understand why some people would think they're important, but not M&H.

Foggle

I think Michiko & Hatchin is great. Sayo Yamamoto is one of my favorite anime directors and the soundtrack & artwork are awesome. I can easily see not liking it, though, and her Lupin III series would have been a much stronger inclusion IMO.

Overall, I'd say the anime list is pretty good, but it could be better of course. The manga list doesn't include Excel Saga so I don't care about it. :P

LumRanmaYasha

Neither of these lists have Urusei Yatsura on them, so they are invalid by default.  :>

Nah, these are fine lists, and a good starter pack of recommendations, but not all-encompassing of the best the mediums have to offer, and I'm sure they're not designed to be. The only thing that bothered me is Patlabor 2 specifically being on the anime list while the rest of the franchise is ignored, which is a pet peeve about people putting that movie on a pedestal the same way they do UY2: Beautiful Dreamer as the most worthwhile and representative iteration of the franchise. Patlabor 2 has interesting social commentary of post WWII Japan's pacifism and criticism of the JSDF as a misused military force and its inability to combat domestic terrorism, but it has almost nothing to do with the concept of patlabors and the practical ramifications of using mechas for labor and law enforcement, which is the main appeal of the franchise. You also get way more out of the movie if you've seen it in context with the rest of the franchise, at least the OVA series and first movie, so watching it alone isn't the best way to absorb everything worth appreciating about the film.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Foggle on April 12, 2017, 02:43:06 PM
I think Michiko & Hatchin is great. Sayo Yamamoto is one of my favorite anime directors and the soundtrack & artwork are awesome. I can easily see not liking it, though, and her Lupin III series would have been a much stronger inclusion IMO.

Agreed!  :thumbup: 
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine still remains my favorite Lupin series as well as one of my favorite anime, but I will admit that her work certainly isn't for everyone.

In regards to the lists, they honestly they feel like very long "favorite anime/manga" lists rather than "essential" ones.  It also bothers me that the manga list has a lot of multiple series from the same creators.  But yeah, while they both have a lot of great series on them, they're definitely missing some big ones, especially Ashita no Joe.

Spark Of Spirit

Patlabor 2 is really good, but I prefer the first one. It's just far more rewatchable.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

So Jump Tsum Tsums are a thing now?

I've been collecting Disney Tsum Tsums on and off for a while now. I've been losing interest in them a little, since the best ones go to the Disney Store and rarely infiltrate the parks or Target anymore, which is my main mode of purchasing them. That said, a friend got me the Rescue Rangers set from D23, complete with the crew in the Ranger Plane!

But damn, they have Yusuke and Hiei! I want those and some others so bad.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wasn't quite sure where would be best to post this, so I just settled for here.

At any rate, THIS is an exhibit that I would love to visit if I could. Also, that's an awesome poster.

Spark Of Spirit

I understood the aim of this article until I saw the last three entries.

KnY, TPN, and DS are all new series currently gaining popularity and sales every day. They're currently poised to be Jump's next breakout hits. They should have instead included material like MxO or Psyren that deserved more push than they ultimately got.

gunswordfist

Dr. Stone looks and sounds good!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's a nice little list. As for the last three, to be fair, this list is clearly meant for an English speaking audience, most of whom probably aren't up to date with currently running Shonen Jump titles.

That said, I really wish Hinomaru Zumou was on here rather than just getting a brief mention at the end, as that series truly deserves more attention than what it currently gets.

VLordGTZ

I'd argue Kimetsu no Yaiba, while huge in Japan, is relatively unknown in the US outside of the core Jump community.  The manga doesn't seem to be talked about much online, and some people don't even know that it exists.  It's a real shame since Viz could have easily built hype for it, if they had picked it up right away once Shueisha's heavy push for the series became apparent.  Dr. Stone and TPN, on the other hand, have no reason to be on this list.  Sure, they don't have anime yet but they already have a ton of buzz surrounding them in the US.  Even if this was sticking to simply licensed Jump manga, choices like Muhyo & Roji and Whistle would have been far better.

Spark Of Spirit

Or even talking about non-Jump Shonen manga like Souboutei or Be Blues which sell really well in Japan and get no attention at all would have been better.

I don't disagree that any of the series are bad, but if you want to highlight unknown series, well, you could go a lot deeper than current and soon-to-be hits.