Favorite Disney Movies

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Oh, so Netflix added up a bunch of Disney movies lately. Some of their animated offerings available to stream include:

Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland
The Fox and the Hound
The Rescuers Down Under
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Pocahontas
The Tigger Movie

Plus the Tinker Bell movies and Mater's Tall Tales. As well as the Muppet Movie, which isn't animated, but totally worth mentioning anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Disney just cancelled the 3D rerelease of The Little Mermaid. Not too surprising, since these have been doing weaker with each passing film.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I also don't know about you, but we haven't been getting them up here. I didn't even find out about the Lion King one until it was already gone.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

y'no, watching some of the Aladdin series again, one thing really bugs me about it- one of the biggest reasons Genie wanted to be free was so he could be free from the lamp. Yet in the show, he still resides in there more often than not.

That's kind of lame.

New blog!

hobbyfan

Searching my memory.........

I didn't see a lot of these as a kid. At least, I don't remember too many.

As an adult, I've seen:

The Great Mouse Detective
Toy Story
The Lion King

And, even though it's both live-action & animated.....Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Memory is hazy on......

Cinderella
Peter Pan

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on December 06, 2012, 03:54:32 PM
Oh, so Netflix added up a bunch of Disney movies lately. Some of their animated offerings available to stream include:

Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland
The Fox and the Hound
The Rescuers Down Under
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Pocahontas
The Tigger Movie

Plus the Tinker Bell movies and Mater's Tall Tales. As well as the Muppet Movie, which isn't animated, but totally worth mentioning anyway.
I can't imagine why they aren't uploading more live-action movies. Do they really think they're going to turn huge profits on Superdad and Ten Who Dared from people who aren't in the exclusive club? (Oh, and aren't those releases DVD-R's anyway?)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Even though we're no longer getting The Little Mermaid in 3D in theaters, we are still getting it on 3D Blu-Ray. This is what the cover is going to look like come October.

AMAZING! Based off of one o the best-looking posters from the Renaissance period, it's a real catch.

Now here is what the standard Blu-Ray copy looks like.

Eh...

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I don't really like the latter style covers at all yet those are the ones they use the most for their releases.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I didn't really get to talk about the recent Peter Pan release (probably since Disney has really been slacking on the bonus content recently- and sadly, word is that this will continue to happen, since they're just about done doing bonus material period), but this is what the release looked like if you buy the version with the digital copy.

Isn't this great? The use of Peter's silhouette is a subtle, tasteful reference to one of the most memorable and important parts of the film, and its juxtaposition to the shot of Big Ben fits in tone to the rest of the film, particularly by using one of England's most poignant symbols, again, used in the movie, to take the place of the Darling children without completely losing them or the ideal of the film.

But if you're like me and don't need a digital copy and thus wanted to save $5, this is what you get.

Which isn't awful. Big Ben is still here and still a strong enough background, while I can't say that anyone here is too off-model, not to mention that the lack of Hook, Smee or the alligator when they have no reason to be here is refreshing, it's still considerably more hokey than the previous design.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

It's not the bloody cover, it's the quality of the movie that counts. Unless you're going to flash that box off to everyone you know.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 23, 2013, 12:22:34 AM
It's not the bloody cover, it's the quality of the movie that counts. Unless you're going to flash that box off to everyone you know.

Still cool if the movie has an awesome cover to go with it, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 23, 2013, 12:26:58 AM

Bingo.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2013, 12:37:31 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 23, 2013, 12:26:58 AM

Bingo.
But if you're spending extra money on pure aesthetics rather than anything proper, that just adds mere vanity to BD collecting. It's kind of like buying Malibu Stacy for extra because she has a new hat.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm kind of with Dr. Insomniac on this one. I buy movies mainly because I want to watch them and have them in my collection to watch again when I want to (and occasionally I can watch them with family or friends, and would show them to my kids if I ever had any). At the same time, I can see where Avaitor is coming from, because I can still admire good art-work when I see it.

Avaitor

I dunno, I like having a little more incentive to shell out the extra cash for a movie I already own or have seen hundreds of times, and Disney used to put out some excellent covers. Since they're cutting down on the extras and even their restorations are hit or miss, there are less reasons for me to buy their stuff with every release.

New blog!