Favorite Disney Movies

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

101 Dalmatians at #5.  :thumbup:

It's rather funny that the RT percents have moved some since that list was published.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Hime

Oooh Disney movies :swoon: I've been watching quite a lot of it, but I'll list my most favorite:

1. Mulan
2. An Extremely Goofy Movie
3. Enchanted
4. A Goofy Movie
5. The Three Musketeers
6. The Princess and the Frog
7. Rescuers
8. House of Villains

talonmalon333

I love Disney so much that it's so hard to rank them. But I think my favorites are Fantasia, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story 3, Pinocchio, and Toy Story. In that order, probably.

Angus

Had a hard time getting through Robin Hood. It's very Disney Talking Animals though.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Did you guys like seeing Lion King 3D? There's going to be more Disney 3D rereleases coming to theaters in the future. Here's the schedule as of now:

January 13th, 2012 - Beauty and the Beast
September 14th, 2012 - Finding Nemo
January 18th, 2013 - Monsters Inc
September 13th 2013 - Little Mermaid

I'll probably go to all of these but Nemo.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

My thoughts exactly. Will also pony up the money to see all of them in 3D, except Nemo as well since I do think of it as one of Pixar's weakest films. I am honest when I say that I would watch Cars over Nemo any day of the week. I'm interested in seeing how the 3D will work for Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

Kiddington

Meh. I really don't get the sudden backlash towards Nemo (not just you guys; I see this all over the place). I mean, yeah, it's kind of an overrated movie depending on who you talk to (Pixar's best? No no no), but come on; it isn't that bad. I'd go see it again; it's funny, and definitely has its own brand of charm, IMO. I've always loved the casting as well, with the only real noteworthy exception being Ellen as Dory. Everybody else is great, though. Love Geoffrey Rush as Nigel especially.

So yeah, I'll be going to see all of these. Looking forward to it.

Avaitor

I think its similar to the backlash for Lion King, in that considering it's huge popularity, those who never found it special seem to have its appeal lost on them, or it just became overplayed to a lot of people. I guess I'm kind of like that myself, but I never really liked it to begin with.

I think besides these, Aladdin and The Incredibles would make for good 3D transfers. I think the 3D hype is all but dead, and none of these movies have the massive appeal that TLK does, but if they do well enough, maybe those two have a chance as well.

Edit: Of these four, the only two I've seen in theaters are Little Mermaid (in its re-release) and Nemo. I was too young to see BATB in it's original release and don't have a nearby IMAX for me to have seen the re-release, and from what I recall, 2001 wasn't a good year for us financially, so we didn't get to see many movies then, so Monsters Inc was out of the question. I'd love to get a chance to see them both in theaters now, so I especially need to see those two.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm so annoyed I missed out on TLK, but it was too short notice for me at the time.

Mostly I'd be interested in rewatching these in theaters regardless (with or without 3D, I don't care) as sometimes it's really the best way to watch them. But I'd pay to watch almost any of the classics in theater again, the experience is worth it, IMO.

Aladdin would have been a great pick, but I can deal with the others.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on October 21, 2011, 02:59:15 PM
EVERYONE GO ON GOOGLE NOW.
OTH Disney Fans: MARY BLAIR WHOOOO! EYVIND EARLE DOODLE NEXT!!!

Average Google user: ...... whatever.

Avaitor

I've been in a Disney mood lately. In the past couple of days, I watched The Lion King, Snow White, Cinderella, and Lilo & Stitch. I think I'll add some Pixar to the mix and watch the first Toy Story next.

It's funny about L&S, I really loved it when it first came out, and Stitch instantly became one of my favorite Disney characters, but it hasn't stayed as high on my favorites or in my rewatch list in recent years. I don't know why, since it's a great one. The writing is quite sharp, with a heart of gold, and all the characters are incredibly likable. It's a shame that the sequels and TV show didn't capture that magic.

I also remember the promotion for it when it first came out. The ads where Stitch would mess with Disney characters during their beloved musical numbers, like Ariel during "Part of Your World", Belle and Beast in the ballroom scene, and Aladdin and Jasmine during "A Whole New World". Those were classic.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I remember L&S being a real shot in the arm at the time for Disney. It's a shame it took them so long to capitalize on its surprise success.

I've also been in a Disney mood recently, but more for the live action stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Just cause I can, I'd like to ask you guys what you all think of Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Truthfully, it's a personal favorite of mine, but it has a couple of flaws that prevent it from being one of Disney's very best IMO. Besides the gargoyles and needless messing around with the original story, which I'm sure you've heard complaints about a million times by now, for one thing, I do agree with the notion that most of the voice actors don't exactly fit. Granted, Tony Jay is pitch-perfect as Frollo, and I have no complaints with him. I also like Tom Hulce as Quasimodo for the most part, but his singing voice, while not awful, just doesn't really gel to my ears. He has the emotion and some range, but I don't think it's strong enough for the character. I also can't stand Demi Moore's nasally speaking voice for Esmeralda, and the singing voice they got for her character isn't a whole lot better.

I also don't really like the character of Phoebus at all. He's pretty bland as a heroic character and love interest, and doesn't have anything to define him as a character otherwise besides those obvious qualities. And the relationship with him and Esmeralda just doesn't feel right, especially when you learn that in the original novel, he tried to rape her. Even then, their few scenes of romantic interaction towards each other felt very forced and were written poorly, while them just getting together at the end doesn't really work for me.

The rest of it, however, is amazing. The new blood really honed their craft by The Lion King, and there's some amazing animation and background designs in here. The church looks absolutely ravishing, especially in CAPS. And it contains some of Alan Menken's best work. Not even just the songs, which are (the gargoyles' tune aside) fantastic. The score is incredible, huge and spiritual, which is just what is needed for the film. And the story turns out fine for the most part.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

This is actually the only Disney movie from the 90s I have yet to see. I'm not sure why, but it just never really interested me at the time and I don't really feel the need to see it now.