Horror

Started by Avaitor, February 07, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

So what's with the phrase "elevated horror"? I've seen that come up in film discourse lately, and all the annoyance that comes from people trying to come up with a term for "genre movies, but genre movies that critics like". Like how for a while, a fantasy that was critically acclaimed was reclassified as "magical realism". Or back when horror movies like Silence of the Lambs and Se7en were winning awards, but instead of being seen as horror, they were called "psychological thrillers". And now we have guys going "Sure, Get Out, Midsommar, and The Lighthouse are horror... but they're more than that! They're about something!" And sure, there's an obvious difference between an A24 film and a Friday the 13th movie, but it comes off as a major insecurity in some people. Like whenever someone gets mad when you say "sci-fi" and insists the proper term is "speculative fiction".

Dr. Insomniac

Well for what it's worth, Carpenter liked Ends. And he's usually pretty apathetic about any of the sequels beyond "I like it when they pay me royalties".

Daikun

Daikun

A slasher movie shot from the perspective of the killer.